The Student Room Group

Anyone who supports Labour hasn't a clue about politics

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PPF
Hey man, I specifically mentioned that it wasn't my personal decision or opinion, also I am not a Neo-Liberal economist. Rather, I do have certain technical disagreements with them.

But more importantly, I didn't for a second say that higher wages would act as a disincentive!

Look, let me give you a practical response. Is Wealth Inequality increasing? Yes. Do the rich have more favorable terms? Yes. Are the poor struggling with debt? Yes. Is raising the minimum wage the answer? No. Not really.

We have a system which favors elite corporations. We can't do anything about it. If you do want to make a difference then the most you can do is to get rich and donate. You wont be able to change the system, and the rich and poor will never have equal rights or treatment. This is the way in which the world works.

Hey mate, I didn't mean to offend you or anything like that. I was looking forward to have a debate with you on this but that's up to you. So then what would you do if you couldn't raise the minimum wage?

What other solutions would you do to raise the minimum wage?

Frankly enough, you are right in your third paragraph. There's not a lot that you can do when you have elite corporations. I suppose however that this has been the case since the beginning of humanity - there has always been a gap between the rich and the poor.
Original post by Ayvoia
That's a big generalisation claiming labour supporters know little about politics.

I would find it difficult defining what being a labour supporter means or is, so I'll just say my own reasons, not all of them of course, but a short rant as such.

I believe that both the conservatives and labour hold merits and have their vices in government. The main reason I vote labour is because since 2010, the conversatives have tried to justify their policies of austerity over and over again claiming it's the only way not to end up like Greece. Here's a read on it in more detail:
http://www.theguardian.com/business/ng-interactive/2015/apr/29/the-austerity-delusion

Yet I'm also naturally more left than right on principles such as welfare and money distrubtion. Under the converatives the gap between the rich and the poor has widened even more than under labour in the 15 years they held power for. Oh, and did you guys know, the bottom 10% of the population (in terms of wealth) pay a higher amount of tax in terms of proportion of their income than do the top 10% of the population? Seems as if the conservatives want the country to go backwards while they line their own pockets. Though mostly all politicians will end up doing this nowadays so there's that..

Majority of Labour and Tory supporters know nothing on politics. They did a survey and almost all could not name their local candidate or a single policy.

It is a class war. Poorer vote labour while the rest vote Tory. Each one runs on the hatred of the other. Why do you think 99% of political campaigns simply feed off the negatives from the other? And a lot can be associated with the idea "My old man voted ##### and his old man before him". Majority of adults vote the party of their parents. The hatred is induced from day 1. It takes a lot more guts to defect to marginal parties like UKIP and Greens rather than simply voting for the status quo because that's what your friends and family do.

And lol at your last comment. The bottom 10% fall under the tax threshold while the top 10% contribute more than the rest of the country put together. Sadly you have proved mine and the OPs comments right.

Also you just made a big rookie mistake.

If a Tory supporter quotes daily mail then it is flawed
If a labour supporter quotes guardian then guess what, It is flawed

Independent Investigations into newspapers found both of these to be the most miss guided papers in terms of political correspondence. Sadly you ticked all the boxes in my original comment.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by The Marshall
Hey mate, I didn't mean to offend you or anything like that. I was looking forward to have a debate with you on this but that's up to you. So then what would you do if you couldn't raise the minimum wage?

What other solutions would you do to raise the minimum wage?

Frankly enough, you are right in your third paragraph. There's not a lot that you can do when you have elite corporations. I suppose however that this has been the case since the beginning of humanity - there has always been a gap between the rich and the poor.

I'm really sorry man. I've been quite down today and now I feel absolutely awful after hearing about John Nash's passing. I'll definitely revive this thread if it isn't already later in the week and we can have a healthy debate.
Original post by PPF
I'm really sorry man. I've been quite down today and now I feel absolutely awful after hearing about John Nash's passing. I'll definitely revive this thread if it isn't already later in the week and we can have a healthy debate.

No no that's fine, we all have our bad days. It is a shame that that Nash died, his mathematics were indeed of a greater kind. Why don't you relax and wind off? Watch the Hobbit or LOTR just in case... if it works. Bu no problem and yeah that's fine mate not a prob.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending