The Student Room Group

Aqa religious studies a2 ethics rst3a - free will, virtue ethics, science, et al.

Hi guys,

Couldn't find a thread so thought I'd make one. If anyone is sitting RST3A RS for AQA - free will, virtue ethics, sexual ethics and science and tech - feel free to talk here. Only three in my class so not a huge group, hope to find more here...

Scroll to see replies

Hey! I'm doing this exam too, finally someone has made a thread for it.

Which 2 topics do you think you're going to answer in the exam? I think mine are gonna be Virtue Ethics and Free Will
I'm doing virtue ethics and free will, finding the AO2 questions really hard for free will.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lizzie_Rose
I'm doing virtue ethics and free will, finding the AO2 questions really hard for free will.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What are you having difficulty with? I'm better at AO2 than AO1 so maybe I can help!
Original post by fieldy_xo
What are you having difficulty with? I'm better at AO2 than AO1 so maybe I can help!

Just the way the question is worded. Are most of them asking you to weigh up Free will, Libertarianism and Determinism within a context?
Just the way the question is worded. Are most of them asking you to weigh up Free will, Libertarianism and Determinism within a context?

The AO2 questions can be on these things-

How free are human actions and choices?
Is it the case that, unless you are in complete isolation, you can never have true libertarianism?
Does libertarianism require no influences to be truly free?
If we are not free, can we be held responsible for our actions?
Strengths and weaknesses of libertarianism, free will and determinism for making ethical choices

So basically, yeah :colondollar: it's just different wordings of assessing the strengths/weaknesses of a certain part of the topic, I hope that helped? I'm not fully sure what you're asking
The AO2 questions can be on these things-

How free are human actions and choices?
Is it the case that, unless you are in complete isolation, you can never have true libertarianism?
Does libertarianism require no influences to be truly free?
If we are not free, can we be held responsible for our actions?
Strengths and weaknesses of libertarianism, free will and determinism for making ethical choices

So basically, yeah :colondollar: it's just different wordings of assessing the strengths/weaknesses of a certain part of the topic, I hope that helped? I'm not fully sure what you're asking

I don't even know what I'm asking either 😂 I know how to answer all of those questions it's just that some of the past questions that have come up, in my opinion cannot even be argued.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't even know what I'm asking either 😂 I know how to answer all of those questions it's just that some of the past questions that have come up, in my opinion cannot even be argued.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ohh yeah I know what you mean now! Which questions in particular
Reply 8
I don't like the AO2s either, don't feel you get a lot of time for them for what you're asked to do! Also doing that unit 4 - life, death and beyond, which is sooooo hard! I always struggle with the "can we have moral responsibility if we are not free" one because I can't really think of what to put in there, the mark scheme often becomes "do we have free will" and that's a different question...
Reply 9

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cannot even be argues - that's my problem! In some of the free will ones there's so little room for debate. Ideally I'd like to take an AO1 from free will, AO2 from virtue ethics lol
Do you know for sexual ethics? I'm doing Christianity, and do you have to learn quotes, or can you paraphrase? Can you say that Corinthians tells women to cover their heads, or is it better to just learn a handful and say, 'Corinthians demands "every wife who prays or prophesises with her head uncovered dishonours her head", which is a view no longer observed in society. This shows that...'
Original post by SoccerSarah
I don't like the AO2s either, don't feel you get a lot of time for them for what you're asked to do! Also doing that unit 4 - life, death and beyond, which is sooooo hard! I always struggle with the "can we have moral responsibility if we are not free" one because I can't really think of what to put in there, the mark scheme often becomes "do we have free will" and that's a different question...

I'd probably approach these kinda questions more like AO1 but with a bit more of an evaluation. So for the question you talked about I'd talk about the views of libertarianism on it and then determinism views, you could also say that true libertarianism doesn't have moral responsibility because it'd hinder our choices/free will. And then maybe talk about soft determinism vs. hard determinism, like that we can overcome the ways in which we aren't free, or talk about how the legal system wouldn't work properly if we didn't have moral responsibility :smile:
Reply 12
Anyone got any predictions for Libertarianism, Free will, determinism topic?
Original post by pob96
Anyone got any predictions for Libertarianism, Free will, determinism topic?

Causally undetermined choice has been suggested a lot by my teacher

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone got any advice/resources/essays for MacIntyre or Foot's versions of Virtue Ethics? Would be much appreciated
Anyone got any advice/resources/essays for MacIntyre or Foot's versions of Virtue Ethics? Would be much appreciated

yes, I will do them when I get home tonight!
yes, I will do them when I get home tonight!

MACINTYRE:

Real brief - was dissatisfied with the moral vacuum that resulted from our over-reliance on legalism and normative ethics - things like utilitarianism will never actually be applied, so it leaves us incapable of making moral decisions. Wanted ti revert back to autonomous morality with Aristotlean ethics.

Came up with three archetypal characters that were guilty of sapping society of virtue: bureaucratic managers, who put profit over principle; rich aesthetes, who pursue pleasure recklessly; the therapist, who tries to justify our "diminished and meaningless existences' - chat show hosts are such therapy en-masse, as they're talking about celebrities about their personal lives like they mean more than everyone else's - how many times do you see celebrities banging on about their dogs, girlfriends, Twitter accounts, etc. like they're so important? Basically people that perpetuate celebrity culture and materialism by picking up the pieces and celebrating weird forms of success.

He came up with seven cardinal virtues: Cant Just Talk With Hot People, Huh?: Courage, justice, temperance, wisdom, honesty, prudence, hope. We can use these to eradicate the characters. But a virtue can change and is anything that sustains the household men and women co-inhabit. True human function depends on community. Virtues are cultivated by the shared practices of a community, they're the goods you gain when trying to achieve the specific good for that activity - so for football, the goal is to win the world cup, but the goods and virtues you get on the way are teamwork, dedication, sacrifice, discipline, etc.

Narrative unity - our meaning and goal in life.
Narrative quest - cultivating the virtues to achieve this goal
Purity of heart - the thing that sustains the quest and stops us from succumbing to vices.

So I hope that helps... You might have to do a bit of research on what he thought was eudemonia, etc.
MACINTYRE:

Real brief - was dissatisfied with the moral vacuum that resulted from our over-reliance on legalism and normative ethics - things like utilitarianism will never actually be applied, so it leaves us incapable of making moral decisions. Wanted ti revert back to autonomous morality with Aristotlean ethics.

Came up with three archetypal characters that were guilty of sapping society of virtue: bureaucratic managers, who put profit over principle; rich aesthetes, who pursue pleasure recklessly; the therapist, who tries to justify our "diminished and meaningless existences' - chat show hosts are such therapy en-masse, as they're talking about celebrities about their personal lives like they mean more than everyone else's - how many times do you see celebrities banging on about their dogs, girlfriends, Twitter accounts, etc. like they're so important? Basically people that perpetuate celebrity culture and materialism by picking up the pieces and celebrating weird forms of success.

He came up with seven cardinal virtues: Cant Just Talk With Hot People, Huh?: Courage, justice, temperance, wisdom, honesty, prudence, hope. We can use these to eradicate the characters. But a virtue can change and is anything that sustains the household men and women co-inhabit. True human function depends on community. Virtues are cultivated by the shared practices of a community, they're the goods you gain when trying to achieve the specific good for that activity - so for football, the goal is to win the world cup, but the goods and virtues you get on the way are teamwork, dedication, sacrifice, discipline, etc.

Narrative unity - our meaning and goal in life.
Narrative quest - cultivating the virtues to achieve this goal
Purity of heart - the thing that sustains the quest and stops us from succumbing to vices.

So I hope that helps... You might have to do a bit of research on what he thought was eudemonia, etc.

Thank you so much! This is really helpful :smile:
Has anyone started thinking about unit 4 yet?
Reply 19
Any predictions for the virtue ethics question?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending