The Student Room Group

i wan t to be an actuary and not sure on what course to do

(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
I wouldve thought actuarial sciences included maths in it anyways. Also, actuarial science probably only focuses on the maths required for the profession while straight maths is on a range of topics.
Reply 2
you can do any uni course matty, i know some guy who did geography at uni and is an actuary right now.
Reply 3
Business management / Accounting and Finance / Economics / Maths
Original post by Diamondo
Business management / Accounting and Finance / Economics / Maths

Business management and Accounting and Finance are absolutely **** for entering the actuarial profession.

Maths is the best choice followed by Economics.
Reply 5
Actually, A&F provides more practical knowledge compared to Economics and gives closer insight into business-related themes. I recon maths being ahead of business management/ a&f / econ, but a&f is ahead of economics in this particular subject ( and all other finance related positions ).
Original post by Diamondo
Actually, A&F provides more practical knowledge compared to Economics and gives closer insight into business-related themes. I recon maths being ahead of business management/ a&f / econ, but a&f is ahead of economics in this particular subject ( and all other finance related positions ).

I doubt i would see anyone without a solid mathematical background qualifying as an actuary. Most of the people who are in this field are either Maths / Physics / Economics graduates.

Accounting and Finance lacks mathematical content and so does Business related degrees.
Reply 7
Would it be better to do a pure maths degree from a well recognised uni internationally or an actuarial science degree from a not as internationally recognised (but still v good!) uni? Do the exemptions from doing actuarial science actually mean that much? Thanks
Original post by efee123
Would it be better to do a pure maths degree from a well recognised uni internationally or an actuarial science degree from a not as internationally recognised (but still v good!) uni? Do the exemptions from doing actuarial science actually mean that much? Thanks

The hardest thing is getting the entry level job to enter the profession. It's true that people who study Pure Maths / Financial Maths have a higher chance of qualification than those who study Actuarial Science. But obviously Act. Sci. graduates gain several exemptions.

In terms of employment, you generally see people with Maths / Stats / Physics degree who are hired. I'm not saying those who don't do these degrees aren't actuaries but believe me they must be < 5% of the population.

Out of the people i work with, I think 40 people have maths degrees, 5 have physics degrees and 2 economics. It's quite obvious to know which route to go down. A Maths degree preps you well for the Institute's exams, however I would choose Financial Maths because it's much more applicable to the actual field of Actuarial Science.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending