The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA5 - Thursday 18th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CD223
I see. I need to revise it too. I'd struggle to answer a six marker on that even though it's probably one of the "easier" topics. I can give an order but not reasons (EG: hydrogen runs out and star swells etc)

Posted from TSR Mobile

totally agree that stars will came up on the astro paper, any predictions for section A i think it will be thermal for the 6 marker as its only come up on the june 2011 paper...
Reply 921
Original post by Hellomoto.
totally agree that stars will came up on the astro paper, any predictions for section A i think it will be thermal for the 6 marker as its only come up on the june 2011 paper...

Personally, I can see a SHC experiment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 922
Original post by CD223
I see. I need to revise it too. I'd struggle to answer a six marker on that even though it's probably one of the "easier" topics. I can give an order but not reasons (EG: hydrogen runs out and star swells etc)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe it would be good practice if any of us who want to write out an answer to a theoretical six marker, like you suggested (e.g. X has a larger mass (>3 solar masses) and Y has a lower mass (~1.4 solar masses), describe the life cycle of these stars), and then compare points between us to see what would likely be necessary to get the marks?
Reply 923
Original post by Lau14
Maybe it would be good practice if any of us who want to write out an answer to a theoretical six marker, like you suggested (e.g. X has a larger mass (>3 solar masses) and Y has a lower mass (~1.4 solar masses), describe the life cycle of these stars), and then compare points between us to see what would likely be necessary to get the marks?

I'd be up for that? I'll try and write an answer. It won't be great, mind, haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 924
Original post by CD223
I'd be up for that? I'll try and write an answer. It won't be great, mind, haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I haven't done any revision lately for physics (don't even have any notes with me tonight oops) so I don't expect mine will be great either! But anything is a good starting point and if it actually does come up in the exam we'll be prepared
Reply 925
Original post by Lau14
I haven't done any revision lately for physics (don't even have any notes with me tonight oops) so I don't expect mine will be great either! But anything is a good starting point and if it actually does come up in the exam we'll be prepared

I'll get 'star'ted (pun was necessary) tonight.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 926
Original post by CD223
I'll get 'star'ted (pun was necessary) tonight.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Puns are always necessary :biggrin: I'll probably do mine shortly
Reply 927
X has a larger mass (>3 solar masses) and Y has a lower mass (~1.4 solar masses), describe the life cycle of these stars.

Spoiler

Reply 928
Anyone have any tips for tackling the special relativity question calculations. They're not always 100% clear and it can be quite frustrating

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Anyone doing astro?

Posted from TSR Mobile

im doing astro although feeling a tad lost with it all. its just not sinking in and a lack of notes isn't helping
Reply 930
Original post by Lau14
X has a larger mass (>3 solar masses) and Y has a lower mass (~1.4 solar masses), describe the life cycle of these stars.

Spoiler

This is great! I'll make sure I look over and try and add to this tonight :tongue:

Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 931
Original post by Fireiscatching1
im doing astro although feeling a tad lost with it all. its just not sinking in and a lack of notes isn't helping

Have you seen the AQA Nelson Thornes course notes? They're pretty useful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Burdittphysics on YouTube gives nice examples for the multiple choice section :smile:
Original post by Amanzz
Anyone have any tips for tackling the special relativity question calculations. They're not always 100% clear and it can be quite frustrating

Posted from TSR Mobile

I still haven't done questions on that topic. In fact i haven't finished that topic yet :frown:
What's absurd about the questions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 934
Original post by CD223
This is great! I'll make sure I look over and try and add to this tonight :tongue:

Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Needs some work doing on it (eg actually comparing it with my notes etc!) but not too bad considering we've got a while until the exam!
Reply 935
Original post by Lau14
Needs some work doing on it (eg actually comparing it with my notes etc!) but not too bad considering we've got a while until the exam!

I'm trying not to rely too heavily on the week between exams :L

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 936
Screen Shot 2015-05-24 at 21.21.44.png

In a question such as this, I would be tempted to give the answer:

"Rain, pollution, cloud coverage"

Could the mark be penalised?
Reply 937
Original post by JaySP
Screen Shot 2015-05-24 at 21.21.44.png

In a question such as this, I would be tempted to give the answer:

"Rain, pollution, cloud coverage"

Could the mark be penalised?

It's hard to say. What is the actual answer?

You are correct, it just depends on how specific they want you to be.

Personally, I would say "water (vapour)".

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 938
Original post by CD223
It's hard to say. What is the actual answer?

You are correct, it just depends on how specific they want you to be.

Personally, I would say "water (vapour)".

Posted from TSR Mobile

Water vapour is the correct answer buts lets say i did put that instead of rain. Would i have still got the mark amidst the other answers?
Reply 939
Original post by JaySP
Water vapour is the correct answer buts lets say i did put that instead of rain. Would i have still got the mark amidst the other answers?

Does that mark scheme allow for other answers? It depends on what the MS actually says. "Any sensible answer" is sometimes included.

That said, because it said "in the atmosphere", it makes me think of a particular element/compound in the atmosphere, over physical entities such as clouds.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending