The Student Room Group

OCR Business studies F297 - SHL Pre- Release 2014/2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Thankyou for replying so quick, very helpful :smile:
Reply 41
Original post by r-t
- if the design staff don't make designs that match customer expectation then this will lead to decrease in revenue which means they can't achieve their objective due to dissatisfied customers

- if staff in their retail stores don't offer a good service then this will decrease repeat purchase thus revenue and the ability to meet their revenue objective. This will affect their exports objective aswell as it may lead to negative word of mouth

- if staff are demotivated there may be high absenteeism which means that customer service will be poorer which will decrease revenue and affect their objective. If labour turnover is high then this will increase their recruitment costs thus reduce profit which could have been used for the sub brand for the teenage market. If the staff don't concentrate then they won't be able to come up with strategies to meet their objectives in the long term either

Hope this helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unlikely to come up to be honest no mention of staff at all in the case study
Reply 42
Original post by nathcart
Unlikely to come up to be honest no mention of staff at all in the case study

Yes I doubt this will come up, staff are mentioned in the case study but not to a great extent. But someone asked and I was simply answering.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Please discuss, i need some points
Reply 44
Original post by raypalmer
Please discuss, i need some points

Discuss what?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Exactly what I was thinking :tongue:

anything fam, possible questions perhaps
Reply 47
anything fam, possible questions perhaps

If you look on the first page there's some posts about possible questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by r-t
If you look on the first page there's some posts about possible questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

cheers, why are people suggesting exchange rate questions, dont c much to do with exchange rates in the case study
Reply 49
cheers, why are people suggesting exchange rate questions, dont c much to do with exchange rates in the case study

It says that one of the main problems with offshoring is the exchange rate difference. It also says one of their objectives is for exports to grow to 10% of total sales revenue which is obviously affected by changes in exchange rates.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by r-t
It says that one of the main problems with offshoring is the exchange rate difference. It also says one of their objectives is for exports to grow to 10% of total sales revenue which is obviously affected by changes in exchange rates.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ohh, so a dpreciation in the exchange rate will be most beneficial for SHL as export demand will increase therefore edging them closer to acheiving that objective
Reply 51
ohh, so a dpreciation in the exchange rate will be most beneficial for SHL as export demand will increase therefore edging them closer to acheiving that objective

Yeh and then you'd argue it the other way round. You could also talk about how a weak pound means they're able order less from suppliers meaning they'll have low stock and will have to charge a higher price to customers which will mean they can't achieve their revenue objective either and argue it the other way round aswell. But then you'd conclude by saying it depends on how long the exchange rates are low/high and management may have to review their objectives to make more realistic targets.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by r-t
Yeh and then you'd argue it the other way round. You could also talk about how a weak pound means they're able order less from suppliers meaning they'll have low stock and will have to charge a higher price to customers which will mean they can't achieve their revenue objective either and argue it the other way round aswell. But then you'd conclude by saying it depends on how long the exchange rates are low/high and management may have to review their objectives to make more realistic targets.

Posted from TSR Mobile

can you talk about possible fluctuations in the exchange rate, which will create uncertainty for SHL. Also can you talk about fixed/floating exchange rates in business studies?
Reply 53
can you talk about possible fluctuations in the exchange rate, which will create uncertainty for SHL. Also can you talk about fixed/floating exchange rates in business studies?

Yes this will create uncertainty for them so they need to review their objectives and carry out a SWOT analysis. I'm not sure on your second question. As long as you justify and make sure it's answering the question then you can talk about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by r-t
Yes this will create uncertainty for them so they need to review their objectives and carry out a SWOT analysis. I'm not sure on your second question. As long as you justify and make sure it's answering the question then you can talk about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

thank you! you really know ur stuff
Reply 55
thank you! you really know ur stuff

You're welcome. Hope so, let me know how it goes for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 56
Original post by r-t
Advantages
- can motivate staff as it can show them how many days they have to complete a task so staff have a goal to work towards. This will mean that the activity is more likely to be completed and there will be less absenteeism.
- Allows SHL to see which activities can be carried out simultaneously, this will allow SHL to save time and money
- allows SHL to prioritise resources, employees to the shortest path so that they can complete it quicker due to having the resources needed

Disadvantages
- the main disadvantage is that manufacturing and delivery are what takes the longest with manufacturing taking 60 days and delivery taking 28 days. However this is a different company to SHL so is out of their control which means that reducing the time it takes to manufacture and deliver is the only way they can aide the critical path. They could put pressure on suppliers to manufacture quicker but this may decrease the quality of clothing. This therefore puts pressure on SHL to locate suppliers closer to home to reduce the manufacture and delivery times.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much!!
Reply 57
Original post by Jspurr
Thank you so much!!

You're welcome.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 58
The mardidi investment is confusing.. It says that shl will buy a 25% stake, however the investment appraisal says 'mardidi projected net profit'. So to me that means that shl will receive 25% of this net profit; my teacher also said this however the APT pack says that they receive all of the net profit. Which one should I use in the exam?
Reply 59
Original post by T-g
The mardidi investment is confusing.. It says that shl will buy a 25% stake, however the investment appraisal says 'mardidi projected net profit'. So to me that means that shl will receive 25% of this net profit; my teacher also said this however the APT pack says that they receive all of the net profit. Which one should I use in the exam?

I think they will receive 25% of net profit as they are buying 25% of the business. They can't receive all of it because it's not 100% their business.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply