The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA4 - Thursday 11th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1820
Anyone got a "mathsy" explanation for this answer? I just used an educated guess and multiplied by 4/3, but I wanna know why it works.

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1432492166.824552.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Anyone got a "mathsy" explanation for this answer? I just used an educated guess and multiplied by 4/3, but I wanna know why it works.

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1432492166.824552.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

I worked out the factor ratio of the potential at the centre between the charges. Hope this satisfy your curiosity :smile:
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1432496286.988211.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Edit: oops, the last bit meant to be 2/15(25)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1822
Original post by Mehrdad jafari
I worked out the factor ratio of the potential at the centre between the charges. Hope this satisfy your curiosity :smile:
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1432496286.988211.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Edit: oops, the last bit meant to be 2/15(25)

Sorry for appearing silly, but why is the Q ratio 1/5?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Sorry for appearing silly, but why is the Q ratio 1/5?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's the result of factorising the equations of the potential of both charges
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1432496947.620497.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1824
That's the result of factorising the equations of the potential of both charges
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1432496947.620497.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

But the total distance between the charges is 4.0m. And potential is a scalar quantity so you add potentials?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
But the total distance between the charges is 4.0m. And potential is a scalar quantity so you add potentials?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought you would add potentials of different charges( you still subtract them but with one charge being negative results in adding them)

Posted from TSR Mobile
IMG-20150524-WA0015.jpeg

Here is the pure maths, but to do it this way in the exam takes far too long.
Reply 1827
I thought you would add potentials of different charges( you still subtract them but with one charge being negative results in adding them)

Posted from TSR Mobile

In this case you add because both are positive.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1828
Original post by EHR223
IMG-20150524-WA0015.jpeg

Here is the pure maths, but to do it this way in the exam takes far too long.

This is the only way that actually makes sense to me - thanks for sharing.

Does anyone know how one would do it with ratios?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh right, even i have difficulty with the idea of potential and how to deal with them.
So adding the potentials would mean that more work must be done to move a positive charge from infinity to that point than to move it to the middle between the charges?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by CD223

Posted from TSR Mobile

But you would still add them if one was positive and one was negative, although one potential would be a negative value right? you never have to subtract?
Reply 1831
Original post by EHR223
But you would still add them if one was positive and one was negative, although one potential would be a negative value right? you never have to subtract?

Yeah. Potentials are scalar addition, field strengths are vector addition.

You always add potentials, but some might be negative.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1832
JUNE 2014 MC Q16

Anyone fancy having a stab at explaining this?

I thought energy was scalar and therefore as no work is done along equipotentials, the work done along PQRS would be twice PQ.

Why am I wrong?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
JUNE 2014 MC Q16

Anyone fancy having a stab at explaining this?

I thought energy was scalar and therefore as no work is done along equipotentials, the work done along PQRS would be twice PQ.

Why am I wrong?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're right, energy is a scalar but work done is a vector quantity. Energy is required to move a charge from P to Q but equal amount of energy is released ( energy is gained from some unknown place), when the charge is moved from R to S, or vice versa as the sign of the charge is not known

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1834
You're right, energy is a scalar but work done is a vector quantity. Energy is required to move a charge from P to Q but equal amount of energy is released ( energy is gained from some unknown place), when the charge is moved from R to S, or vice versa as the sign of the charge is not known

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh I see. So energy is the "magnitude" of work done?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223

Posted from TSR Mobile

You know what, actually work done is also a scalar, sorry for misleading you. But in the case of the question the overall work done across PQRS is zero because there is mo displacement in the direction of the force

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1837
You know what, actually work done is also a scalar, sorry for misleading you. But in the case of the question the overall work done across PQRS is zero because there is mo displacement in the direction of the force

Posted from TSR Mobile

I see. No worries. Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
I see. No worries. Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's ok. By the way, I will email my friend tomorrow to let me know when he's got the data. Once i get them i will upload them on here

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
This is the only way that actually makes sense to me - thanks for sharing.

Does anyone know how one would do it with ratios?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The main idea is to use only as much info as you need. You can solve this problem simply by knowing that VQrV\propto \frac{Q}{r}. You don't even need to know the constant of proportionality.

So letting the constant of proportionality be kk and letting the two charges be xx, we have Vtotal=kx2+kx2=25V_{total}=k\frac{x}{2}+k\frac{x}{2}=25 (where we put r=2), i.e. kx=25kx=25.

In the second arrangement, Vtotal=kx1+kx3=43kx=43(25)=33.33...=33.3 (2 s.f.)V_{total}=k\frac{x}{1}+k\frac{x}{3}=\frac{4}{3}kx=\frac{4}{3}(25)=33.33...=33.3\ (2\ \text{s.f.})

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending