The Student Room Group

TSR Christian Society (X-SOC) Episode IV: A New Hope

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I am very fond of the dancing Jesus smiley :biggrin: You will see me use it a lot, no doubt :ahee:

How are you this blessed Sunday? :h:

Very bored! JUst lots of revision! Whihc is not the most interesting thing to do! :smile: :jebus:
Original post by bananainpyjamas
Very bored! JUst lots of revision! Whihc is not the most interesting thing to do! :smile: :jebus:

Oh no. Not a fun way to spend the bank holiday :frown: What exams are you revising for? :ninja:
Oh no. Not a fun way to spend the bank holiday :frown: What exams are you revising for? :ninja:

I know! Biology, Psychology and Maths (A levels!)! It not going to be a very fun half term...:frown:
Original post by grownupfrog
Someone once explained to me their beliefs on speaking in tongues which I found very persuasive - that the way it happens now, with people speaking nonsense, isn't what the Bible means. It says that they spoke languages that they had no previous knowledge of. So if you were at a church service in English with someone who spoke only Tamil, for example, you could be given the miraculous gift of tongues by which you could translate the words into Tamil, a language of which you had no prior knowledge.

Not everyone thinks of tongues this way and I don't want to declare that those who speak in tongues in services aren't being sincere but I favour this interpretation personally :smile:

I agree as this is what happened at Pentecost as in Acts 2

When the day of Pentecost came, they were all together in one place. 2 Suddenly a sound like the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where they were sitting. 3 They saw what seemed to be tongues of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them. 4 All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit enabled them.5 Now there were staying in Jerusalem God-fearing Jews from every nation under heaven. 6 When they heard this sound, a crowd came together in bewilderment, because each one heard their own language being spoken. 7 Utterly amazed, they asked: “Aren’t all these who are speaking Galileans? 8 Then how is it that each of us hears them in our native language? 9 Parthians, Medes and Elamites; residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, 10 Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya near Cyrene; visitors from Rome 11 (both Jews and converts to Judaism); Cretans and Arabs—we hear them declaring the wonders of God in our own tongues!” 12 Amazed and perplexed, they asked one another, “What does this mean?”13 Some, however, made fun of them and said, “They have had too much wine.”

The apostles spoke in languages as the Holy Spirit gave them.

But I also feel we are given a voice, akin to a heavenly language which we can worship God using, praying, singing in. Its just our communication with God.

I think that the work of the Holy Spirit is to connect us to God, to open our hearts and eyes to him and is available and given to us all :smile:

38 Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39 The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off—for all whom the Lord our God will call.”

Then of course we have the fruits of the spirit and our talents to use to glorify God.
Original post by bananainpyjamas
I know! Biology, Psychology and Maths (A levels!)! It not going to be a very fun half term...:frown:

Oh yikes, tough subjects as well! Well I will pray for you and all those sitting exams. I do not miss A Levels at all. So much to learn :eek3:
I forgot to give you lot an update of my exams so far

Physics 1 was a nighmare for me. Couldnt even finish the paper. But i prayed before doing the paper and while my paper was being taken away. That the examiner would be generous towards me while marking it

Maths C2 was also fine. Also prayed before and after the exam. I could finish it this time:smile:

Biology 1 was also good in my opinion

Chemistry 1 has got to have been my best paper so far:awesome:

Please continue praying
Am also praying for you guys:smile:

Oh and happy pentacost sunday:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ProNoob
I forgot to give you lot an update of my exams so far

Physics 1 was a nighmare for me. Couldnt even finish the paper. But i prayed before doing the paper and while my paper was being taken away. That the examiner would be generous towards me while marking it

Maths C2 was also fine. Also prayed before and after the exam. I could finish it this time:smile:

Biology 1 was also good in my opinion

Chemistry 1 has got to have been my best paper so far:awesome:

Please continue praying
Am also praying for you guys:smile:

Oh and happy pentacost sunday:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Glad they've been mostly OK. Praying about the Physics one - have faith! :hugs:
Any Greek or Eastern Orthodox people here?

I'm one mself!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ser Alex Toyne
Any Greek or Eastern Orthodox people here?

I'm one mself!

Posted from TSR Mobile

We do have one who pops in from time to time :biggrin: (Not me, someone else)
Glad they've been mostly OK. Praying about the Physics one - have faith! :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh yikes, tough subjects as well! Well I will pray for you and all those sitting exams. I do not miss A Levels at all. So much to learn :eek3:

Thanks! Yeah, they're not the easiest subjects!! But I've only got around a month yet, until Im finally finished! :smile: Whoop whoop! :biggrin:

Spoiler

Original post by hellokittymad

Spoiler

Hiya,

I'll PM you :yep:
Passive Christianity is dangerous

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkjH3rvQF1c
Anyone struggling with their faith? Hopefully this will encourage someone today who is feeling alone and unable to touch God's hand which is reaching down to you.

God knows we will at times have dips in our walk with him due to the pressures of life and this world we live in.

He says there is a way to be an over comer in this life and that is to feed yourself with the message of hope (the bible) and to be continually renewing our minds in him. We need to get rid of the wrong thoughts and just the stuff that fills our thinking, blocking communion with God.

As the bible says in Romans 10 v 17

"Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word about Christ".

Sometimes we need to force ourselves to go to church because God says we should, it can be hard for some but life will be a lot harder if we don't go and be constantly refilled with God's hope and love for us.

Go to church today and meet with God. Spend time in his presence and hear a really good uplifting bit of preaching that will resonate with your spirit.

God bless you this Sunday:smile:
I love the first song, everyone needs forgiveness, the kindness of a Saviour. Our God is mighty to save, the author of salvation who conquered the grave.

"Take me as you find me, all my fears and failures, fill my life again"....

This link gives 100 worship songs that you could have playing out today in the background and even possibly sing along to :tongue:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k83w9cGTFZQ
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Racoon
Anyone struggling with their faith? Hopefully this will encourage someone today who is feeling alone and unable to touch God's hand which is reaching down to you.

God knows we will at times have dips in our walk with him due to the pressures of life and this world we live in.

He says there is a way to be an over comer in this life and that is to feed yourself with the message of hope (the bible) and to be continually renewing our minds in him. We need to get rid of the wrong thoughts and just the stuff that fills our thinking, blocking communion with God.

As the bible says in Romans 10 v 17

"Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word about Christ".

Sometimes we need to force ourselves to go to church because God says we should, it can be hard for some but life will be a lot harder if we don't go and be constantly refilled with God's hope and love for us.

Go to church today and meet with God. Spend time in his presence and hear a really good uplifting bit of preaching that will resonate with your spirit.

God bless you this Sunday:smile:

Aww this is very encouraging. I will forward it to my friend :smile:
[video="youtube;GUrWMREmuwY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUrWMREmuwY[/video]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUrWMREmuwY

Lord let your glory fall, consuming fire, fan into flame a passion for your name......
[video="youtube;kbVl8GsGjnM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbVl8GsGjnM[/video]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbVl8GsGjnM

Great and interesting vid.:smile:
Lighting candles before my exams and saying a wee prayer to God has actually helped me this exam period.

Quick Reply

Latest