The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Any thoughts on why this thread has just 7.3% of the equivalent forum of The Other Place?

Why are those guys talking and we are not?

We're too busy studying?
They're more fun and chatty?
We have researched what we want and where we're going, they are are clueless?

It can't be a numbers thing or intelligence... OK, they started earlier, but their run rate is huge compared to this site.

Who knows? Does anyone even care?

BTW John Nash died and in a horrible way. Shocking. Sad. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-32865248

G D'G
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Gerald DGrilla
Any thoughts on why this thread has just 7.3% of the equivalent forum of The Other Place?

Why are those guys talking and we are not?

We're too busy studying?
They're more fun and chatty?
We have researched what we want and where we're going, they are are clueless?

It can't be a numbers thing or intelligence... OK, they started earlier, but their run rate is huge compared to this site.

Who knows? Does anyone even care?

BTW John Nash died and in a horrible way. Shocking. Sad. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-32865248

G D'G

Not sure. Is there a way of seeing the number of views for each posting?
Original post by somegirlcalledea
Wow man that's crazy O.O I can get the computer science/ICT as our school teaches both course together but 6?? you have dedication...

I want to do Computer science, not sure about the college at Oxford though haha

:biggrin: wouldn't it be cool if we got in and met the same people who we were talking to on TSR. It's all exciting.
Original post by Rjkooljay
:biggrin: wouldn't it be cool if we got in and met the same people who we were talking to on TSR. It's all exciting.

We could make a little society if we do get in XD ^^
Original post by tilly5798

:smile: you've got the idea. What do you plan to study and at which college?

Let's make it happen haha
:smile: you've got the idea. What do you plan to study and at which college?

Music and i have no idea which college at the moment- they all look spectacular from my point of view. I am planning to go to an open day, so i might make up my choice there.

How about you?
Original post by PerlaDeSabiduría
Let's make it happen haha

Well let's try and get in first, let alone thinking of things that we might not be able to do XD
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
Not sure. Is there a way of seeing the number of views for each posting?

The admin guys and girls probably have that data but I don't think I can see it.

If one lurks over there it seems really busy with multiple real time conversations. I don't think it means anything, I was just wondering if there was an obvious reason.

Hang on, Brasenose Admissions Officer? Gulp, I am seriously thinking about applying to Brasenose.... Sweaty palms,,,,,,:colondollar:
Does anyone have any idea what I can do to stand out from other biomedsci applicants?
I have 4 A* and 6 A at GCSE (A* in biology, chemistry, english literature and spanish) and I'm predicted A grades for my biology, chemistry maths and physics AS levels.
I already run an online blog on medical microbiology, I have read many books on disease and been to path lectures and masterclasses.
(I'm very interested in infection and immunity, could anyone tell? :giggle:)
Music and i have no idea which college at the moment- they all look spectacular from my point of view. I am planning to go to an open day, so i might make up my choice there.

How about you?

Aaach music! Sorry bad experience with music. It was my only B at GCSE

I basically have three colleges in mind : Magdalen, St John's , or Balliol. I want to be a Computer engineer so I might study Engineering Science or Computer Science.
Is anyone having the same feelings I'm having? I have an overwhelmingly thought looming over my head that I'm making a compromise by choosing Oxford over Cambridge.
Please someone tell me I'm crazy to think that.
Is anyone having the same feelings I'm having? I have an overwhelmingly thought looming over my head that I'm making a compromise by choosing Oxford over Cambridge.

My gf and I chose Oxford because we thought it was easier to get into, even though Cambridge seemed more appealing so your feelings are normal :smile: in any case you still have time to change your mind eg if you get really top notch ums you may be better off applying to Cambridge

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aaach music! Sorry bad experience with music. It was my only B at GCSE

I basically have three colleges in mind : Magdalen, St John's , or Balliol. I want to be a Computer engineer so I might study Engineering Science or Computer Science.

Awh, i got B's in English Language, Physics and R.S >-<

Wow,that's quite an intense subject ._.
Reply 594

You were thinking of applying to CompSci right?
You're probably just getting affected by TSR's obsession with Cambridge, unless you have some concrete reasons to think that?
I'm a current first year CS student, if you have any questions about the course I'll be happy to answer :smile:
Original post by Gerald DGrilla
The admin guys and girls probably have that data but I don't think I can see it.

If one lurks over there it seems really busy with multiple real time conversations. I don't think it means anything, I was just wondering if there was an obvious reason.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/misc.php?do=whoposted&t=2730251

I don't think there's an obvious reason, it just means this thread needs to get chatting...
Well let's try and get in first, let alone thinking of things that we might not be able to do XD

This is all theoretical aha so we might as well be positive

I feel the same way, don't worry. The only reason I've suddenly turned to Oxford is because I don't think my UMS are quite 'Cambridge material'. However after doing more research I've found that Oxford is probably better for my course and is just as good as Camb.
I think I was just blinded by Cambridge being top in the country and never thought of much else.
Original post by lnstrumentality
I feel the same way, don't worry. The only reason I've suddenly turned to Oxford is because I don't think my UMS are quite 'Cambridge material'. However after doing more research I've found that Oxford is probably better for my course and is just as good as Camb.
I think I was just blinded by Cambridge being top in the country and never thought of much else.

Just look at the recent REF scores as opposed to, even more pointless, league tables; It may give you some further ammunition to justify why Oxford is better :wink:
Original post by Skye25
You were thinking of applying to CompSci right?
You're probably just getting affected by TSR's obsession with Cambridge, unless you have some concrete reasons to think that?
I'm a current first year CS student, if you have any questions about the course I'll be happy to answer :smile:

Thank you so much! I don't even know where to begin.
My main goal is to work for a corporate tech company (software or hardware engineering depending on if I start liking Physics next year) after my undergrad degree. Would an Oxford degree enable me to work at Amazon, or Google in the United States?
And do Oxford Comp Sci. grads get to work at any such places?

Latest

Trending

Trending