The Student Room Group

AQA Further Maths FP1 June 5th 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by C0balt
Oh so you do different board for FM?
With AQA they were harder than pre 2014. C1 was slightly harder than 2014 but C2 was easier than 2014. C1 had a cylinder question where people forgot how to calculate the surface area haha I did well in both but kicking myself for a silly mistake in C2 - hoping the UMS boundaries would be low to land me above 95UMS really
Fp1 should be fine until they decide to add in excessive transformation - I don't like those tbh

May I ask why you're aiming for high UMS?
Yeah that's the worst topic in FP1. Matrix transformations. It's just so annoying! And I had a look at the proofs for the general rotation/reflection matrices in the AQA FP1 textbook (which is really useful btw) and it was pretty hard to understand! But at least I now have some idea of what I'm doing when I'm writing cos2theta, sin2theta, etc.
Ah, so AQA are also toughening up exams this year? Looks like we're gonna have a really fun FP1 paper then!
P.S. Yeah I know it's a little weird how we do WJEC Maths but AQA FM...
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 41
Original post by PrimeLime
May I ask why you're aiming for high UMS?
Yeah that's the worst topic in FP1. Matrix transformations. It's just so annoying! And I had a look at the proofs for the general rotation/reflection matrices in the AQA FP1 textbook (which is really useful btw) and it was pretty hard to understand! But at least I now have some idea of what I'm doing when I'm writing cos2theta, sin2theta, etc.
Ah, so AQA are also toughening up exams this year? Looks like we're gonna have a really fun FP1 paper then!
P.S. Yeah I know it's a little weird how we do WJEC Maths but AQA FM...

I'm planning to apply to Cambridge lol
Yeah AQA started toughening up since last year. The UMS boundaries suddenly went low last year haha hope for the same this year although I wouldn't want TOO hard paper to keep my mental health up lmao

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 42
Original post by C0balt
I'm planning to apply to Cambridge lol
Yeah AQA started toughening up since last year. The UMS boundaries suddenly went low last year haha hope for the same this year although I wouldn't want TOO hard paper to keep my mental health up lmao

Posted from TSR Mobile

Apply for Maths? Then we're exactly the same! XD.
Are you sitting the STEP exams next year then?
Reply 43
Apply for Maths? Then we're exactly the same! XD.
Are you sitting the STEP exams next year then?

Nah I'm physical NatSci :tongue:
Can't deal with pure maths for 4 years tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 44
Original post by C0balt
Nah I'm physical NatSci :tongue:
Can't deal with pure maths for 4 years tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile

For saying that, you're now officially banned from this thread. :mad:

Just kidding :h:.
Reply 45
For saying that, you're now officially banned from this thread. :mad:

Just kidding :h:.

:no:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 46
Some quick help on this question please? Only started learning series today.
FP1.png
Reply 47
Original post by ABand98
Some quick help on this question please? Only started learning series today.
FP1.png

it can be written as sigma r^3 - sigma 1
Reply 48
Ive done that but I cant get it to multiply out to look like the result in the question. Can you explain where the 4 comes from?
Reply 49
Original post by ABand98
Ive done that but I cant get it to multiply out to look like the result in the question. Can you explain where the 4 comes from?

wait a min, i will do it myself
I'm biting on a sandwich atm
Reply 50
Original post by ABand98

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1432467090.913916.jpg
The four is there to give one when multiplied with a fourth

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 51
Original post by C0balt
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1432467090.913916.jpg
The four is there to give one when multiplied with a fourth

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh seems obvious now you've shown it. Thanks a lot, your help is very much appreciated :smile:
Reply 52
Original post by ABand98
Oh seems obvious now you've shown it. Thanks a lot, your help is very much appreciated :smile:

Np :smile:
Reply 53
Could anyone explain to me how we are meant to know that the tangents are y=x+5 and y=x-5 for question 9 d in the June 2014 paper?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 54
Original post by a123a
Could anyone explain to me how we are meant to know that the tangents are y=x+5 and y=x-5 for question 9 d in the June 2014 paper?

In question 9b you've shown that if the like y=x+k intersect with the ellipse at two distinct points -5<k<5. This means that y=x+k is a tangent to the circle at k=5, -5
The ellipse is then translated so you translate the tangents as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 55
Original post by C0balt
In question 9b you've shown that if the like y=x+k intersect with the ellipse at two distinct points -5<k<5. This means that y=x+k is a tangent to the circle at k=5, -5
The ellipse is then translated so you translate the tangents as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! I completely forgot about the K's I worked out previously! It's just that because it is an ellipse I couldn't see how it could have a tangent with equation parallel to y=x.
I just did this paper for the first time and got 71/75. Tbh this paper was tricky, but I still found the June 2013 harder.
Reply 56
Original post by a123a
Thank you! I completely forgot about the K's o worked out previously! It's just that because it is an ellipse I couldn't see how it could have a tangent with equation parallel to y=x.
I just did this paper for the first time and got 71/75. Tbh this paper was tricky, but I still found the June 2013 harder.

I often forget the existence of the previous questions too and I've learnt it recently :lol:
I did that paper for mock and it was indeed tricky. I haven't done June 2013 actually, I should do that soon.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 57
Original post by C0balt
I often forget the existence of the previous questions too and I've learnt it recently :lol:
I did that paper for mock and it was indeed tricky. I haven't done June 2013 actually, I should do that soon.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah the sub-part questions were long! And it felt like a whole new question by the time I reached the end of it.
Reply 58
Original post by a123a
Yeah the sub-part questions were long! And it felt like a whole new question by the time I reached the end of it.

and those α β questions which are usually easy had so many nasty numbers :angry:
Reply 59
Original post by C0balt
and those α β questions which are usually easy had so many nasty numbers :angry:

Oh yeah, I hate those!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending