The Student Room Group

OCR Physics A G482 Quick question:

When it says for example "What type of waves can be polarised" do you have to say they're progressive or can you just say transverse waves?

Thanks!
Original post by joe12345marc
When it says for example "What type of waves can be polarised" do you have to say they're progressive or can you just say transverse waves?

Thanks!

I think the answer is transverse, because progressive waves can be either transverse or longitudinal.
Original post by halfhearted
I think the answer is transverse, because progressive waves can be either transverse or longitudinal.

So I don't have to say "Transverse progressive waves" ? Yeah it is transverse, but do I ALSO state they have to progressive? Do they? Can you polarise non-progressive waves?
So I don't have to say "Transverse progressive waves" ? Yeah it is transverse, but do I ALSO state they have to progressive? Do they? Can you polarise non-progressive waves?

They don't have to be progressive. Standing waves can also be polarised, although it's not talked about very much as there aren't many applications
Original post by halfhearted
They don't have to be progressive. Standing waves can also be polarised, although it's not talked about very much as there aren't many applications

Awesome, ah okay fair play cheers mate!
Awesome, ah okay fair play cheers mate!

No problem :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest