The Student Room Group

A2 OCR Chemistry B F334 - June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lifeistoff
Does anyone have any general tips for calculations? I lose hideous amount of marks over them! I am fine with rate, entropy and equilibrium ones, it's just some of the acid ones and the moles/calculating mass ones!

I was having this problem as well, and I found that as soon as I see a calculation, convert everything given in the question into moles. Use formulas like Mass = Mr x Moles and Moles = Concentration x Volume (dm3) and then depending on what the question is use the ratios of moles in an equation to find moles of an unknown and then you can either find it's concentration or mass.

Even if you get everything else wrong, just by converting everything into moles you normally get half the marks. If you want me to go through an example I can do, and I hope this helps :smile:
Reply 61
Original post by DJSavjani
I was having this problem as well, and I found that as soon as I see a calculation, convert everything given in the question into moles. Use formulas like Mass = Mr x Moles and Moles = Concentration x Volume (dm3) and then depending on what the question is use the ratios of moles in an equation to find moles of an unknown and then you can either find it's concentration or mass.

Even if you get everything else wrong, just by converting everything into moles you normally get half the marks. If you want me to go through an example I can do, and I hope this helps :smile:

this is exactly what i do!
Reply 62
how are you guys feeling about unit 3 and 4?
Original post by nats927
how are you guys feeling about unit 3 and 4?

Unit 3 and 4? What are they sorry?
Reply 64
Unit 3 and 4? What are they sorry?

what do you mean?? f334 chemistry of materials and f335 chemistry by design.
Original post by nats927
what do you mean?? f334 chemistry of materials and f335 chemistry by design.

Sorry my bad, I interpreted it as F333 and F334. But I am feeling okay for F335 and good for F334. The only thing I really hate is the NMR and IR identification in F335, never get them right. But I'm so glad that the grade boundaries are relatively low for an A

Thank you so much! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lifeistoff
Thank you so much! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your welcome, glad i could help :smile:
Could somebody explain why things are soluble or insoluble in water in terms of intermolecular bonds? I don't really get it. Is it that more energy is released when bonds are formed between the thing that's dissolving and the water molecules than is required to break the hydrogen bonds between water molecules and imfs between thing that's dissolving??
Original post by BrokenS0ulz
Could somebody explain why things are soluble or insoluble in water in terms of intermolecular bonds? I don't really get it. Is it that more energy is released when bonds are formed between the thing that's dissolving and the water molecules than is required to break the hydrogen bonds between water molecules and imfs between thing that's dissolving??

The ions become surrounded by water molecules but for intermolecular bonds isnt it just that hydrogen bonds form between molecules. E.g. Nylons are soluble because they have CO-NH in them so between the chains of Nylons you get the highly electronegative atom (oxygen) forming H bonds with the Hydrogen on the other Nylon molecule
Reply 70

yep. so basically if the energy released from bonds formed b/w water and the 'thing' is greater than the energy needed to break the hydrogen bonds b/w water then its soluble. if more energy needed to break bonds = insoluble.
forming ion-dipole bonds b/w water and the thing is stronger than forming hydrogen bonds b/w water and the 'thing' lol
hope this helps.
Original post by nats927
yep. So basically if the energy released from bonds formed b/w water and the 'thing' is greater than the energy needed to break the hydrogen bonds b/w water then its soluble. If more energy needed to break bonds = insoluble.
Forming ion-dipole bonds b/w water and the thing is stronger than forming hydrogen bonds b/w water and the 'thing' lol
hope this helps.

ygm fam this is what life is all about innit
Ion-dipole forces are just basically hydrated ions in solution... stronger than hydrogen bonding cause ions have either a full positive charge or a negative charge bludd. Hydrogen bonding is an intermolecular force which is also known as as a Permanent dipole-Permanent dipole force bledd.
Reply 73
Original post by GianluigiBuffon
ygm fam this is what life is all about innit

i get you fam:u:
Original post by nats927
yep. so basically if the energy released from bonds formed b/w water and the 'thing' is greater than the energy needed to break the hydrogen bonds b/w water then its soluble. if more energy needed to break bonds = insoluble.
forming ion-dipole bonds b/w water and the thing is stronger than forming hydrogen bonds b/w water and the 'thing' lol
hope this helps.

So is it just more energy released in bond formation than is taken in to break the H bonds between water molecules. Or is it more energy released than is taken in to break the H bonds between the water molecules and to break the imfs between thing dissolving too?

Original post by GianluigiBuffon
The ions become surrounded by water molecules but for intermolecular bonds isnt it just that hydrogen bonds form between molecules. E.g. Nylons are soluble because they have CO-NH in them so between the chains of Nylons you get the highly electronegative atom (oxygen) forming H bonds with the Hydrogen on the other Nylon molecule

Thanks
Reply 75
So is it just more energy released in bond formation than is taken in to break the H bonds between water molecules. Or is it more energy released than is taken in to break the H bonds between the water molecules and to break the imfs between thing dissolving too?

Thanks

^second one:smile:
Has everyone received their coursework
scores ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I received my coursework score the other day :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 78
Original post by pinkgorilla
scores ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

no my college dont tell us kmt! but i did find the box with peoples grades.. but not mine :frown:. have u?
Original post by pinkgorilla
scores ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah got a B according to my teacher

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending