The Student Room Group

can i get into UCL with an AAA for a maths degree

their standard offer is A*,A,A but surely they can be lenient by one grade, why is this uni so harsh with the grades unlike unis like queen mary?? Do you think they will accept a grade below the standard offer?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shwansalah
their standard offer is A*,A,A but surely they can be lenient by one grade, why is this uni so harsh with the grades unlike unis like queen mary?? Do you think they will accept a grade below the standard offer?

UCL has a standard offer is A*A*A or A*AA + a 1 in STEP (the latter is much harder), it is the 5th harshest university in terms of A level requirements for maths. The chances of you getting in with AAA are unbelievably slim. When I went to the post offer holders open day, they said they admitted about 80% who achieved A*A*A, the rest were people who got A*AA but got like a 2 in STEP or something.
(edited 8 years ago)
Maths at UCL is seriously hard, so it shouldn't come as a surprise that they are being tough with entry requirements.
Reply 3
Unfortunely ,you are definitely not getting into UCL for maths with AAA if their minimum entry requirements are A*A*A without STEP.
Also, many will have more than A*A*A (grades/predictions) when applying.

They are not lenient, since when it comes to UCL's maths degree, they always have a surplus of candidates who score above their offer.

You really should be getting A*A* in double maths anyway if you are to stand a good chance when applying to a top 5 uni like UCL.

you mentioned Queen Mary, well there is big difference between the two maths degrees, so that's why one is naturally harder to get into
(edited 8 years ago)

Well UCL is the more prestigious university overall hence places at UCL will be more competitive on average compared to Queen Mary if that answers your question. UCL is one of the founding members of the Russell Group (joined in 1994) whilst Queen Mary joined the Russell Group just recently (joined in 2012).

I don't think you'll get into UCL Mathematics with only AAA. A friend of mine got AAAB in Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Chemistry and Biology respectively and UCL rejected him for BSc Statistics (requirements A*AA).

Also this should give you a good idea of the type of students who study Mathematics at UCL. Look at the average UCAS points per student at the 'Entry Standards' column. Seems quite high to me and that is no joke;
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?o=Entry+Standards&s=Mathematics
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?o=Entry+Standards&s=Mathematics&y=2015
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?o=Entry+Standards&s=Mathematics&y=2014
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?o=Entry+Standards&s=Mathematics&y=2013
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?o=Entry+Standards&s=Mathematics&y=2012
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?o=Entry+Standards&s=Mathematics&y=2011
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?o=Entry+Standards&s=Mathematics&y=2010
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?o=Entry+Standards&s=Mathematics&y=2009
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?o=Entry+Standards&s=Mathematics&y=2008
(edited 8 years ago)

Why do you think you got AAA?
why not apply for physics, a lot of maths content but much lower entry reqs (AAA) ! (and the maths is applied to natural phenomena!)
Original post by Patrick2810
why not apply for physics, a lot of maths content but much lower entry reqs (AAA) ! (and the maths is applied to natural phenomena!)

I didn't apply for physics because I hate electricity, everyone has their reasons, I am sure the OP likewise, though there is always a high chance he will receive an alternative course offer on results day.

Is this a troll thread?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Infamous7

Are you sure you can handle a maths degree when you can't even get an A* in a level maths?

Bit of a sweeping statement - you don't have to go to a top 5% university to do a maths degree :smile:
Original post by Buses
Unfortunely ,you are definitely not getting into UCL for maths with AAA if their minimum entry requirements are A*A*A without STEP.
Also, many will have more than A*A*A (grades/predictions) when applying.

They are not lenient, since when it comes to UCL's maths degree, they always have a surplus of candidates who score above their offer.

You really should be getting A*A* in double maths anyway if you are to stand a good chance when applying to a top 5 uni like UCL.

you mentioned Queen Mary, well there is big difference between the two maths degrees, so that's why one is naturally harder to get into

Are queen mary more lenient in letting people in ?
Original post by SheLikeTheMango
Are queen mary more lenient in letting people in ?

I know people who had been accepted by Queen Mary with as grades low as BBC; one is currently studying Medical Engineering there and another decided to put down the Queen Mary offer, take a gap year is now studying English at York. You might even find some people with grades as low as BCC studying there as I was told by an individual that if you have at least grade B for the relevant subject they could let you in (I'm assuming that the other grades shouldn't be too bad) and this was for clearing.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Raymat
I know people who had been accepted by Queen Mary with as grades low as BBC; one is currently studying Medical Engineering there and another decided to put down the Queen Mary offer, take a gap year is now studying English at York. You might even find some people with grades as low as BCC studying there as I was told by an individual that if you have at least grade B for the relevant subject they could let you in (I'm assuming that the other grades shouldn't be too bad) and this was for clearing.

What about a subject like economics? They want AAA but how lenient are they for that? Know anyone that got in with lower than that? I would assume more people go LSE or UCL for economics so it would leave QM undersubscribed.
Original post by SheLikeTheMango
What about a subject like economics? They want AAA but how lenient are they for that? Know anyone that got in with lower than that? I would assume more people go LSE or UCL for economics so it would leave QM undersubscribed.

I'm pretty sure they wont be too harsh. I know one person doing BSc Mathematics at Queen Mary with grades BBB and another doing BEng Mechanical Engineering at Queen Mary with grades ABC. I heard that Queen Mary Law comes into clearing with entry requirements as low as AAB although their standard entry requirements are A*AA but this is just what I heard, not sure if it is true. I don't know much about Economics unfortunately.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Infamous7

Are you sure you can handle a maths degree when you can't even get an A* in a level maths?

It's entirely possible to manage a maths degree without an A* in maths.

You're basically saying if you can't get 90% average in C3 and C4 then you can't do well on a maths degree. What if I told you theres more to maths than what you do in C3 and C4...
Original post by rayquaza17
It's entirely possible to manage a maths degree without an A* in maths.

You're basically saying if you can't get 90% average in C3 and C4 then you can't do well on a maths degree. What if I told you theres more to maths than what you do in C3 and C4...

This, in C3 and C4 you can be a brilliant mathematician but if you make one silly mistake in either exam it could ruin your chances at an A* as it is not very forgiving, unlike further maths which is much more forgiving in the sense you need to average 90% over your 3 best A2 modules (of which pretty much always there are 5 of). I am actually more scared of missing my A* in single maths than I am of missing it in further maths because I know in C3 and C4 the boundaries are much higher and you cannot afford to slip at any point, this is not true for FP2-3, M3 etc.
Original post by Jai Sandhu
This, in C3 and C4 you can be a brilliant mathematician but if you make one silly mistake in either exam it could ruin your chances at an A* as it is not very forgiving, unlike further maths which is much more forgiving in the sense you need to average 90% over your 3 best A2 modules (of which pretty much always there are 5 of). I am actually more scared of missing my A* in single maths than I am of missing it in further maths because I know in C3 and C4 the boundaries are much higher and you cannot afford to slip at any point, this is not true for FP2-3, M3 etc.

Dude, I think it would be the other way round.
If you demolish STEP maybe

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Raymat
Dude, I think it would be the other way round.

FP3 boundaries for an A are generally anywhere between 50-58/72 for an A, ofetn C4 can be much higher than this. Further maths is unbelievably forgiving in terms of getting an A*, you can screw up 2/5 exams and still get an A*, you cant screw up C3 or C4.
Original post by Raymat
I'm pretty sure they wont be too harsh. I know one person doing BSc Mathematics at Queen Mary with grades BBB and another doing BEng Mechanical Engineering at Queen Mary with grades ABC. I heard that Queen Mary Law comes into clearing with entry requirements as low as AAB although their standard entry requirements are A*AA but this is just what I heard, not sure if it is true. I don't know much about Economics unfortunately.

Thanks for the insight, BBB for maths is very low, they just increased their offer to AAA, i'm applying for 2016 entry (only in AS atm) but yeah im a bit weary of not making my grades.

Quick Reply

Latest