The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA4 - Thursday 11th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1880
Original post by Lau14
Confuse the examiners by answering 26 questions :P

Confuse the examiner by answering 42 questions, because you always wonder about the meaning of life :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Confuse the examiner by answering 42 questions, because you always wonder about the meaning of life :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

What are you guys talking about? Are there more questions on the exam papers I didn't know?? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1882
Original post by Mehrdad jafari
What are you guys talking about? Are there more questions on the exam papers I didn't know?? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=56207383#post56207383

Aha

Posted from TSR Mobile
We both share the same misfortune lol. I'm doing that option too. Have done any question on that unit? I've heard the questions on special relativity are a bit vague

Posted from TSR Mobile

I haven't done any questions other than the ones on the discovery of the electron. I've done a few practices on special relativity before and a tiny bit today. Hopefully I should have all of turning points practised with all 5 papers tomorrow. I think because they missed out Milikans experiment that it should be on it this year.

Tbh I find turning points quite interesting. Looking back, it seems like the easiest option out of the 4 but I haven't really looked at the other 3. Does seem like the medical physics one can be a pain
Original post by AR_95
I haven't done any questions other than the ones on the discovery of the electron. I've done a few practices on special relativity before and a tiny bit today. Hopefully I should have all of turning points practised with all 5 papers tomorrow. I think because they missed out Milikans experiment that it should be on it this year.

Tbh I find turning points quite interesting. Looking back, it seems like the easiest option out of the 4 but I haven't really looked at the other 3. Does seem like the medical physics one can be a pain

That's true. For me studying it makes unit 4 acceptable.
I've heard the astro option is the hardest alongside medical one. Though i found the waves chapter a bit abstract and hard to tolerate

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wonder if any of them would notice!
Reply 1886
Original post by Lau14

Probably if they had 700 other papers to mark which answered 25 :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's true. For me studying it makes unit 4 acceptable.
I've heard the astro option is the hardest alongside medical one. Though i found the waves chapter a bit abstract and hard to tolerate

Posted from TSR Mobile

waves as in wave particle duality? Definitely finding it the most boring. Only thing I can get my head around easily is the photoelectric effect.
Original post by Lau14

Don't think they even look at them, they just shove it under an OMR machine I think

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AR_95
waves as in wave particle duality? Definitely finding it the most boring. Only thing I can get my head around easily is the photoelectric effect.

Yeah, photoelectric is cool. I cannot make sense of the duality nor did I at AS. And the electron microscopes at the end of the chapter are just horrible. I guess we are far from the truth in waves business lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by CD223
Probably if they had 700 other papers to mark which answered 25 :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

True, it would stand out then :tongue:
Original post by CD223
Good idea! How many papers have you done? All of them? I feel unprepared tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, once each I think, though I'm sure I've left out a few since I tend to skip around and not work through them in linear order (june12 --> jan13, etc). I only started fairly recently because I tend to forget everything if I start too early, but I'm planning to work through them at least once more (twice would be ideal) before the exam. If you feel unprepared I suggest locating your weaker topics and working through the topic-specific papers here: http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/physics-revision/aqa-unit-4/ This will really give you a boost for a given topic.
Reply 1892
Original post by PotterPhysics
Yes, once each I think, though I'm sure I've left out a few since I tend to skip around and not work through them in linear order (june12 --> jan13, etc). I only started fairly recently because I tend to forget everything if I start too early, but I'm planning to work through them at least once more (twice would be ideal) before the exam. If you feel unprepared I suggest locating your weaker topics and working through the topic-specific papers here: http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/physics-revision/aqa-unit-4/ This will really give you a boost for a given topic.

Same here! Thanks for that.

I hope I can get through them all again once. Not sure I will :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can someone help me on this question. Nor lamely really good at capacitance but this one has thrown me, I know it has something to do with E is proportional with V^2 but cant seem to figure it out for some reason. Do you have to set up two simultaneous equations one with V^2 and one with (V-2)^2. Have no clue. Thanks

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1432580585.393480.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jimmy20002012
Can someone help me on this question. Nor lamely really good at capacitance but this one has thrown me, I know it has something to do with E is proportional with V^2 but cant seem to figure it out for some reason. Do you have to set up two simultaneous equations one with V^2 and one with (V-2)^2. Have no clue. Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's a difficult one burdittphysics on YouTube does great examples
Reply 1895

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's the hardest Capacitance question I've seen. June 2014, right?

Essentially, as EV2E \propto V^2, this means that, if we set E=1600μJE = 1600\mu J, then when V has decreased by 2.0V, E has become E4=400μJ\frac{E}{4} = 400\mu J.

As E has decreased by a factor of 4 and EV2E \propto V^2, V must have decreased by a factor of 2 (V24)\left(\sqrt{\frac{V^2}{4}}\right).

As V has halved by decreasing by 2.0V, the initial pd must have been 4.0V.

This follows that, as E=12CV2E = \frac{1}{2}CV^2,

C=2×1600×10642C = \frac{2 \times 1600 \times 10^{-6}}{4^2}

[br]C=200×106F[br][br]\therefore C = 200 \times 10^{-6}F[br]

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Alternative (and longer!)

We are given information about V and we need to find C, so the equation to use is E=12CV2E=\frac{1}{2}CV^2. Initially, E0=12CV2=1600μE_0=\frac{1}{2}CV^2=1600\mu implying that CV2=3200μCV^2=3200\mu. Then the voltage decreases by 2V and the energy stored becomes 400μ400\mu, which we can express as the equation E1=12C(V2)2=400μE_1=\frac{1}{2}C(V-2)^2=400\mu, or C(V2)2=800μC(V-2)^2=800\mu.

Now square rooting both sides of each equation we obtain VC=3200μV\sqrt{C}=\sqrt{3200\mu} and (V2)C=800μ(V-2)\sqrt{C}=\sqrt{800\mu}. Thus V=3200μC=800μC+2V=\frac{\sqrt{3200\mu}}{\sqrt{C}}=\frac{\sqrt{800\mu}}{\sqrt{C}}+2, or equivalently 3200μ800μ=2C\sqrt{3200\mu}-\sqrt{800\mu}=2\sqrt{C}. Now we just square both sides and divide by 4 to get C=(3200μ800μ)24=200μFC=\frac{(\sqrt{3200\mu}-\sqrt{800\mu})^2}{4}=200\mu F
Original post by CD223
It's the hardest Capacitance question I've seen. June 2014, right?

Essentially, as EV2E \propto V^2, this means that, if we set E=1600μJE = 1600\mu J, then when V has decreased by 2.0V, E has become E4=400μJ\frac{E}{4} = 400\mu J.

As E has decreased by a factor of 4 and EV2E \propto V^2, V must have decreased by a factor of 2 (V24)\left(\sqrt{\frac{V^2}{4}}\right).

As V has halved by decreasing by 2.0V, the initial pd must have been 4.0V.

This follows that, as E=12CV2E = \frac{1}{2}CV^2,

C=2×1600×10642C = \frac{2 \times 1600 \times 10^{-6}}{4^2}

[br]C=200×106F[br][br]\therefore C = 200 \times 10^{-6}F[br]

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes it is June 2014, has some pretty tough multi choice questions in there. Thanks for that makes much more sense. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PotterPhysics
Alternative (and longer!)

We are given information about V and we need to find C, so the equation to use is E=12CV2E=\frac{1}{2}CV^2. Initially, E0=12CV2=1600μE_0=\frac{1}{2}CV^2=1600\mu implying that CV2=3200μCV^2=3200\mu. Then the voltage decreases by 2V and the energy stored becomes 400μ400\mu, which we can express as the equation E1=12C(V2)2=400μE_1=\frac{1}{2}C(V-2)^2=400\mu, or C(V2)2=800μC(V-2)^2=800\mu.

Now square rooting both sides of each equation we obtain VC=3200μV\sqrt{C}=\sqrt{3200\mu} and (V2)C=800μ(V-2)\sqrt{C}=\sqrt{800\mu}. Thus V=3200μC=800μC+2V=\frac{\sqrt{3200\mu}}{\sqrt{C}}=\frac{\sqrt{800\mu}}{\sqrt{C}}+2, or equivalently 3200μ800μ=2C\sqrt{3200\mu}-\sqrt{800\mu}=2\sqrt{C}. Now we just square both sides and divide by 4 to get C=(3200μ800μ)24=200μFC=\frac{(\sqrt{3200\mu}-\sqrt{800\mu})^2}{4}=200\mu F

That is a nice maths based solution, might keep this in mind when doing similar types of questions. Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
That is a nice maths based solution, might keep this in mind when doing similar types of questions. Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem! This is exactly how I would do it in an exam because it's the first approach that came to mind and takes at most a few seconds to carry out if you know what you're doing, but CD's one is definitely nicer. (What I did would best be described as a "bash".)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending