The Student Room Group

What is the shelf life of A Level Units? Private Candidate enquiry.

I have read on the specification of AQA Psychology that you can resit a module as many times as you want and would cash in the grade so long as the unit is still 'alive' i.e. the specification is still valid.

Would it be right to presume then that in the event of a new specification produced, the earlier one would be rendered invalid? I am a private candidate and was hoping to take a test to resit a module, and now I am at risk of not being able to change my grade at Psychology because the unit's shelf life has run out.

Could any one please give me some guidance? And what are people's experiences with being a private candidate, and what has been the longest gap you've known people have left to take the exam as a resit/private candidate?
Reply 1
Hey

In my experience when resiting gcse maths and the spec changed so it was linear insted of modular, i was not affected and my final grade reflected both exams(because i only resat 1 exam ). Im also currently doing some modular resits for AQA Psychology and i pressume that its based upon the weight of the exam so in AQA psychology each exam has a 25% weight towards the overall grade so i guess as long as the new exams are about the same then your prior qualification should still be valid although its probably best to ask your exams officer.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by mk786
Hey

In my experience when resiting gcse maths and the spec changed so it was linear insted of modular, i was not affected and my final grade reflected both exams(because i only resat 1 exam ). Im also currently doing some modular resits for AQA Psychology and i pressume that its based upon the weight of the exam so in AQA psychology each exam has a 25% weight towards the overall grade so i guess as long as the new exams are about the same then your prior qualification should still be valid although its probably best to ask your exams officer.

And how many years did you leave between getting the GCSE grade and resitting it? It has been 3 years since I sat the Psychology exam at A Level as I am hoping to boost my grades when I graduate from University.

Hopefully, you are right! I cannot imagine the weights between the different modules in 2012 are vastly differently.

Thank you!
when the spec has completed i.e. no more chances to take it you can't do anything.

If this is true do cie or edexcel igcse??
Reply 4
Original post by hellobata
And how many years did you leave between getting the GCSE grade and resitting it? It has been 3 years since I sat the Psychology exam at A Level as I am hoping to boost my grades when I graduate from University.

Hopefully, you are right! I cannot imagine the weights between the different modules in 2012 are vastly differently.

Thank you!

Hey
I believe it was under 2 years , oh okay yea hopefully but its best just to ask around theres also a link on the aqa website if you have any questions on the changes its mainly for teachers but i think you can still use it ? What course are you studying at uni if you dont mind me asking ?
Reply 5
Original post by mk786
Hey
I believe it was under 2 years , oh okay yea hopefully but its best just to ask around theres also a link on the aqa website if you have any questions on the changes its mainly for teachers but i think you can still use it ? What course are you studying at uni if you dont mind me asking ?

I have emailed them instead, the website is confusing to navigate and don't provide the information I need.

I study law at Uni. It's appalling how A Levels are taken into considerable consideration when applying for jobs as it could easily outweigh a good first class degree, for instance.

You also mentioned that you are retaking Psychology. Is that an A Level exam? The spec changed last year did it not? When did you get your first overall Psychology results as we could be in the same boat.
Reply 6
I have emailed them instead, the website is confusing to navigate and don't provide the information I need.

I study law at Uni. It's appalling how A Levels are taken into considerable consideration when applying for jobs as it could easily outweigh a good first class degree, for instance.

You also mentioned that you are retaking Psychology. Is that an A Level exam? The spec changed last year did it not? When did you get your first overall Psychology results as we could be in the same boat.

Hey
Wow im supprised that they are taking Alevels into account at all, especially since ur predicted a first class.

Yea im resitting unit 2 and unit 4 , i dont think we are because i done my AS in 2013. Yea there has been a change in the specification last year, although i personally believe that its not too different to 2012 just the style of questions seem to be a lil easier . Are you self teaching yourself ? If so can i recommend using loopa ? And also get revising.com . If you need any help then feel free to ask.
Good luck with your studies
Reply 7
I have read on the specification of AQA Psychology that you can resit a module as many times as you want and would cash in the grade so long as the unit is still 'alive' i.e. the specification is still valid.

All true, the bad news is that the very last chance to take the current AS Psychology exams is Summer 2016 and it may also be the last chance to sit the A2 units - that's not quite clear yet, there might be a chance the following year.

Would it be right to presume then that in the event of a new specification produced, the earlier one would be rendered invalid? I am a private candidate and was hoping to take a test to resit a module, and now I am at risk of not being able to change my grade at Psychology because the unit's shelf life has run out.

It makes no difference whether you are a private candidate or not, the rules are the same. As I said above, you have one last chance to re-sit next Summer. I've known someone take 3 years over A level maths, taking 1 unit exam exam series in the days when there were January exams.
Reply 8
Original post by Compost
All true, the bad news is that the very last chance to take the current AS Psychology exams is Summer 2016 and it may also be the last chance to sit the A2 units - that's not quite clear yet, there might be a chance the following year.

It makes no difference whether you are a private candidate or not, the rules are the same. As I said above, you have one last chance to re-sit next Summer. I've known someone take 3 years over A level maths, taking 1 unit exam exam series in the days when there were January exams.

By any chance are you aware of any changes to the AQA psychology? I had taken an exam back in 2012, and I'm guessing the 2014 specification has shut me off from any resits?
Reply 9
Original post by mk786
Hey
Wow im supprised that they are taking Alevels into account at all, especially since ur predicted a first class.

Yea im resitting unit 2 and unit 4 , i dont think we are because i done my AS in 2013. Yea there has been a change in the specification last year, although i personally believe that its not too different to 2012 just the style of questions seem to be a lil easier . Are you self teaching yourself ? If so can i recommend using loopa ? And also get revising.com . If you need any help then feel free to ask.
Good luck with your studies

Because you are taking a resit after a change in spec, surely that would put you in the same position as me? If spec change happens during your A Levels, it would not apply but for the next generation of AS students. Right?
Reply 10
Because you are taking a resit after a change in spec, surely that would put you in the same position as me? If spec change happens during your A Levels, it would not apply but for the next generation of AS students. Right?

Hey

No because i done my alevels from 2013-2014 and am doing modular resits i learnt the new spec, and like i said the spec didnt change too much from 2012 to 2014 so its practically the same. Yea i think so.
By any chance are you aware of any changes to the AQA psychology? I had taken an exam back in 2012, and I'm guessing the 2014 specification has shut me off from any resits?

The 2014 spec has made no difference - there were only minor changes and the entry codes have remained the same. However, there is a comptely new A level spec for teaching from September 2015 so the final chance to re-sit the current one is next summer.

Quick Reply

Latest