The Student Room Group

Edexcel IGCSE Physics Exam 20th May 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by yupppp89
did you guys divide by 50 or 60 for the velocity-time graph's speed question??

what was the actual question?
Original post by Zahra kosser
what was the actual question?

It was like, driver drove a distance of 390m what was the speed
(edited 8 years ago)
It was like, driver drove a distance of 390m what was the speed

oh yes I remember. I divided by 60 but I realise why it would be 50 because the bus stopped for 10 seconds. im not sure...anybody got any solutions?
Reply 103
Original post by Zahra kosser
oh yes I remember. I divided by 60 but I realise why it would be 50 because the bus stopped for 10 seconds. im not sure...anybody got any solutions?

Ohh never thought of that I'd probably say 50 looking back on it
1.5 and 9.7 for refractive index and orbital speed to 2dp

Well actually it was 1.49, don't remember seeing a 9.7 what was that?
Original post by aahmad
Ohh never thought of that I'd probably say 50 looking back on it

Its 60 because it's his average speed for the whole journey which includes all 60 seconds
did you guys divide by 50 or 60 for the velocity-time graph's speed question??

60, it was average speed. What did u get for the last question?
Hi guys for the question of measuring the speed of sound instead of banging gongs i wrote "banging bongs", will the examiner understand what i meant, however i wrote an alternative method could be clapping
Original post by neelc21
Hi guys for the question of measuring the speed of sound instead of banging gongs i wrote "banging bongs", will the examiner understand what i meant, however i wrote an alternative method could be clapping

The official way to do it in the syllabus is with an oscilloscope that has two microphones, measure te time it takes for second line to appear.
HOWEVER, due to them no actually saying that an oscilloscope was present they are likely to offer many alternate experiments. Mark scheme will say award marks for set up, what to do, how to measure and then making fair test, reliability and relying for wind speed etc.
Original post by Ewarwoowa
The official way to do it in the syllabus is with an oscilloscope that has two microphones, measure te time it takes for second line to appear.
HOWEVER, due to them no actually saying that an oscilloscope was present they are likely to offer many alternate experiments. Mark scheme will say award marks for set up, what to do, how to measure and then making fair test, reliability and relying for wind speed etc.

Do you think the grade boundaries will be low or high
Reply 110
Original post by neelc21
Do you think the grade boundaries will be low or high

Low physics are always low. Last year 72% was a*
The paper went good overall but the last question,the hard drive question and the kitchen hazards question were tough, very confusing and very time consuming. I didn't get time to check my paper at the end. Does anyone have the solution for these questions

Posted from TSR Mobile
did everyone get 2.66 for the density question?
Well the volume of the balloon was 2800 metres cubed and the density was 0.95kg/m3 so if density=mass/volume, then mass=density x volume...therefore if the volume is already in metres cubed there is no need for any conversions beforehand...so 2800 x 0.95 = 2660kg.
So one of the questions included "define half life" (2 marks)
I put "the time it takes for the radioactivity of the radioactive material to half"... would you say that makes sense and would it be able to gain the 2 marks?
Original post by simply_a_ Δ
So one of the questions included "define half life" (2 marks)
I put "the time it takes for the radioactivity of the radioactive material to half"... would you say that makes sense and would it be able to gain the 2 marks?

Yes, unless the examiner was very harsh or can't be bothered to properly read your answer, its clear that you mean the radioactivity levels/emission :smile:. You didn't make the mistake of simply saying the time it takes for the mass to halve.
Original post by Astrtricks
Yes, unless the examiner was very harsh or can't be bothered to properly read your answer, its clear that you mean the radioactivity levels/emission :smile:. You didn't make the mistake of simply saying the time it takes for the mass to halve.

Ah nice! Thanks for the kind reply :smile:
Mass to half can be correct,,, it is in a pink box in the Pearson textbook
Original post by Neymar27
Mass to half can be correct,,, it is in a pink box in the Pearson textbook

you have to specify that its the mass of the radioactive isotope though, if you don't the mark schemes say to award no marks.
you have to specify that its the mass of the radioactive isotope though, if you don't the mark schemes say to award no marks.

I put 'time it takes for half the mass of the radioactive isotope to decay'. That ok?

Quick Reply

Latest