The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Biology BIOL5 - 17th June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 280
Original post by Regina15
Yeah I thought, so, thank you!

hey! what website were u using by the way?
Reply 281
Can anyone talk me through on gene therapy? Thx.
Original post by Saif94
hey! what website were u using by the way?

physicsandmathstutor.com , theres a biology tab with loads of revision and questions:smile:
How do fluorescent and enzyme marker genes work ??

Its kinda confusing in the aqa book :/
Original post by Trisha10001
How do fluorescent and enzyme marker genes work ??

Its kinda confusing in the aqa book :/

Hey, okay so... fluorescent and enzyme gene markers are used to make sure that 1) the plasmid has taken up the gene of interest and 2) the bacteria has taken up the plasmid.

We need to know this so that the bacteria can be cloned to produce loads of the gene (say, insulin), so that type 1 diabetics can inject themselves with it.

Right so, how do they work?

Fluorescent markers. They glow. So either, stain the gene of interest with a fluorescent marker and if the plasmid/bacteria has uptaken it, they will glow.
Or, stain the section of the plasmid the gene of interest wants to be inserted into with the fluorescent marker. If the gene of interest is uptaken, it will disrupt the gene that's been stained with the fluorescent marker, so the plasmid will no longer glow.

And as for enzyme markers... They change colour with different chemicals. So say if the gene of interest is uptaken by the plasmid, it will disrupt the colour-changing gene, so it won't change colour when exposed to the enzyme.

I can't imagine them asking much more on them. Hope that's okay, any more qs, just ask :smile:
Reply 285
Don't really understand the markscheme answer to this question

Screen Shot 2015-05-26 at 02.15.11.png

What I got as one answer is that glucose is lost in urine, which is correct.

But the second point the markscheme states:

Attachment not found

So my question is:
How is it used in cell respiration and converts to glycogen in the cell when the man has no insulin in order to bind to the glycoprotein receptors and changing the shape of the glucose transport protein channels? Isn't that the only way glucose can enter the cell?
Hiya everyone! I hope revision is going well :h:

Quick question about the synoptic essay - what kinds of things do they look for when it comes to evidence of wider reading? What level of detail are we talking about here? And also, how are people going about getting wider information to add in? I did read a couple books over the summer related to my hopeful degree course (biochemistry) but it isn't relevant to what sorts of things come up in the essays.

Also, general essay revision tips? Thanks!
Original post by Peaches and Cream

Quick question about the synoptic essay - what kinds of things do they look for when it comes to evidence of wider reading? What level of detail are we talking about here? And also, how are people going about getting wider information to add in? I did read a couple books over the summer related to my hopeful degree course (biochemistry) but it isn't relevant to what sorts of things come up in the essays.

In terms of the essay, just try reading further for each topic, you don't need that much information anyway, so say the essays on enzymes, try finding about different enzymes in the body and what processes they control, more than the ones given to you in the spec.. :smile:
is it me or is marking your own essay feel so wierd and hard to do? I have no teacher (on a gap year), and I know it says 16 marks for scientfic knowledge, 3 for breadth of knowledge, 3 for quality of communication and 3 for relevance, but I still find it hard to assign marks to each point in my essay... And I always feel like I'm cheating by giving myself marks on communication, because even though it makes sense to me, I don't know if it makes sense to the examiner LOL
Original post by ThatMadClown
In terms of the essay, just try reading further for each topic, you don't need that much information anyway, so say the essays on enzymes, try finding about different enzymes in the body and what processes they control, more than the ones given to you in the spec.. :smile:

That's the plan! Where would you suggest for further reading? Uni textbooks?
Reply 290
Can someone please explain restriction mapping please, I can't quite get my head around it.

How is the process done?
Why is it necessary in order to locate and sequence a gene?

Thanks in advance.
That's the plan! Where would you suggest for further reading? Uni textbooks?

yepp anything really, I've used wikipedia
Original post by Ozy96
Don't really understand the markscheme answer to this question

Screen Shot 2015-05-26 at 02.15.11.png

What I got as one answer is that glucose is lost in urine, which is correct.

But the second point the markscheme states:

Attachment not found

So my question is:
How is it used in cell respiration and converts to glycogen in the cell when the man has no insulin in order to bind to the glycoprotein receptors and changing the shape of the glucose transport protein channels? Isn't that the only way glucose can enter the cell?

I haven't learnt about the Glycoprotein receptors and I can't see it in the spec, so I don't think you would have to learn about them, so not sure they are so necessary or relevant to this question. I would say that obviously what you suggest can't be entirely true, otherwise Diabetic people would be dead instantly..:redface:

The Spec afaik only mentions learning about the Second Messager Model in relation to Glucagon and Adrenaline..
Reply 293
Original post by sidney1
I haven't learnt about the Glycoprotein receptors and I can't see it in the spec, so I don't think you would have to learn about them, so not sure they are so necessary or relevant to this question. I would say that obviously what you suggest can't be entirely true, otherwise Diabetic people would be dead instantly..:redface:

The Spec afaik only mentions learning about the Second Messager Model in relation to Glucagon and Adrenaline..

I was just quoting what I learnt from the chapter in the book.
But that still doesn't make sense? Isn't Insulin used to lower glucose concentration in the blood? Well a diabetic has no insulin so the glucose remains in the blood and thus glucose isn't taken up by respiring cells. But the markscheme says it does enter the cell and used in respiration?? So confused D:

I have a folder dedicated to essay plans I've made for every essay that's been on the old spec and new and have found a few sentences that could relate to each essay which can then be used for lots of different areas if that makes sense :smile: I don't think it has to be anything too in depth, apparently the examiners also like it if you reference where you got your information from if it's from a magazine or something :smile:
Original post by ThatMadClown
yepp anything really, I've used wikipedia

I tried wikipedia yesterday, got bloody confused and gave up :lol:

Original post by Baloney26
I have a folder dedicated to essay plans I've made for every essay that's been on the old spec and new and have found a few sentences that could relate to each essay which can then be used for lots of different areas if that makes sense :smile: I don't think it has to be anything too in depth, apparently the examiners also like it if you reference where you got your information from if it's from a magazine or something :smile:

Ah that's really handy thank you!
Original post by Ozy96
I was just quoting what I learnt from the chapter in the book.
But that still doesn't make sense? Isn't Insulin used to lower glucose concentration in the blood? Well a diabetic has no insulin so the glucose remains in the blood and thus glucose isn't taken up by respiring cells. But the markscheme says it does enter the cell and used in respiration?? So confused D:

Well Insulin lowers Glucose concentration in the blood through a number of mechanisms such as increasing the permeability of the cells to glucose and increasing the respiration rate of the cells so more glucose is respired. Emphasis on the word "Increasing". However, that doesn't necessarily mean that Insulin is entirely responsible for the uptake of Glucose in cells. It still occurs, just perhaps not as fast.
I'm so scared for the essay! Is there any way of predicting what it could be?

would i be lucky enough to have the folder for the essays please?!!:colondollar:

Please can I be really cheeky and ask for a copy if possible?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending