The Student Room Group

OCR History A American Civil Rights 8th June 2015

Anyone else taking this exam and have any advice? I'm absolutely bricking it! I'm hoping to get an A

Scroll to see replies

Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Puddles the Monkey now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Reply 2
Im also taking this exam! Im hoping for an A* but im not feeling it currently! Im hoping Native Americans comes up the most!
Reply 3
Original post by kara394
Im also taking this exam! Im hoping for an A* but im not feeling it currently! Im hoping Native Americans comes up the most!

I'm hoping for native americans as well and I want women to come up. Do you have any predictions of what the questions could be?
Reply 4
If anyone likes to swap essays with me, just pm me.
Reply 5
If anyone has any revision notes/essay plans they feel like sharing I would be grateful :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Egg1
If anyone has any revision notes/essay plans they feel like sharing I would be grateful :smile:

This thread has some revision notes:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2021226&page=2
If that helps. Also if you search ocr american civil rights in youtube, there is a person called chloe who does some revision videos. She takes a thematic approach which is really useful. Hope this helps! :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by totoro1997
This thread has some revision notes:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2021226&page=2
If that helps. Also if you search ocr american civil rights in youtube, there is a person called chloe who does some revision videos. She takes a thematic approach which is really useful. Hope this helps! :smile:

Oh wow you're a life saver, have literally just started revision for this exam today :colondollar:

Do you know what the grade boundaries normally are?
Reply 8
Original post by Egg1
Oh wow you're a life saver, have literally just started revision for this exam today :colondollar:

Do you know what the grade boundaries normally are?

For this exam, the grade boundaries don't really change dramatically for some reason. For last year:
A- 86/120
B-78/120
C-70/120
These are for raw marks
Reply 9
For turning point essays, do turning point need to be a single event or can they be a series of events/ a small period? E.g. the presidency of Lyndon Johnson was a turning point for AA rights, skillfully exploiting the end of the conservative coalition in congress to pass the 1964 & 1965 acts etc...
Reply 10
Original post by Egg1
For turning point essays, do turning point need to be a single event or can they be a series of events/ a small period? E.g. the presidency of Lyndon Johnson was a turning point for AA rights, skillfully exploiting the end of the conservative coalition in congress to pass the 1964 & 1965 acts etc...

Here is a link to the definition:
http://vle.kegs.org.uk/mod/page/view.php?id=4446
Reply 11
We weren't taught women, we had to do it ourselves so I didn't!! Native Americans is my fav, I'm also hoping for trade unions.
Reply 12
Has anyone made any predictions of which topics will come up yet? I'm thinking AA, NA, TU well that's what I'm praying for 😂
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 13
What were the questions asked last year?
Reply 14
Last year had AA, NA & Women, so presumably this year will have Labour and not NA
Any examples over the period for how internal divisions limited trade union and labour rights development?
Reply 16
CIO breaking away from the AFL in 1937 because the AFL was still very focused on craft unions - caused divisions but their merger in 1955 to form the AFL-CIO actually ended up creating more solidarity as it represented 85% of the unionised workforce
Racist attitudes of many unions refusing to admit African American workers - led to the creation of the CBTU in 1972 because they weren't properly represented but they were affiliated with AFL-CIO so perhaps not a dramatic division
Women weren't permitted into any early unions apart from the KOL but they were virtually destroyed after the Haymarket Affair in 1886, had to form their own unions like the WTUL in 1903 who wanted legislation to introduce an eight-hour day and a minimum wage causing clashes with the AFL who opposed legislation and instead favoured union negotiation
Unskilled migrant workforce of the 1980s were not interested in unions and were prepared to work for lower wages which exacerbated divisions in both unions and between workers that stemmed from the start of the course - unions refused them admittance despite immigrants dominating the semi/unskilled workforce weakening the position of unions (this also applied to African Americans)

Hope this helps :smile:
hey guys, I really wanted to wish you all the best for your life ahead, hope you get an A also I hope your pregnancy goes smoothly:badger:
its me, how's life, hope your baby is beautiful, can you name it after me, my name is Gertrude :bump:
Reply 19
Anyone got any good synoptic links to put in?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending