The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA5 - Thursday 18th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 960
Original post by Ilovemaths96
Haha, hope it is now

Haha. It would be better than last year's question.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Haha. It would be better than last year's question.

Posted from TSR Mobile

just been through derivation now, not too bad at all haha
Reply 962
just been through derivation now, not too bad at all haha

Can I ask what the stages are beyond working out the pressure=force/area?

I don't have my book on me at the mo :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Can I ask what the stages are beyond working out the pressure=force/area?

I don't have my book on me at the mo :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

well p = mu^2/l^3 where l is side length of cubic container

l^3=V
therefore pV = mu^2

u - x component of velocity of a particle. In all three dimensions c^2 = u^2 +v^2 +w^2
but because molecules are randomly moving about nd there is so many molecules c^2 = u^2 = v^2 = w^2

c^2=3u^2 u^2 = 1/3(c^2) where c is root mean sqaure speed, squared
sub in and you'll get the desired equation
Reply 964
well p = mu^2/l^3 where l is side length of cubic container

l^3=V
therefore pV = mu^2

u - x component of velocity of a particle. In all three dimensions c^2 = u^2 +v^2 +w^2
but because molecules are randomly moving about nd there is so many molecules c^2 = u^2 = v^2 = w^2

c^2=3u^2 u^2 = 1/3(c^2) where c is root mean sqaure speed, squared
sub in and you'll get the desired equation

I see. Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
I see. Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

no problem mate
Reply 966
no problem mate

Have you done every PHYA5 paper?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Have you done every PHYA5 paper?

Posted from TSR Mobile

haha no i havent. Gonna finish the papers in a couple of days. Why?
Reply 968
haha no i havent. Gonna finish the papers in a couple of days. Why?

Just curious as to how many times people plan on doing papers:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 969
Really scared about the optional unit D now. I mean it's easy to understand but I just stumble at all the non mathematical questions. It has the lowest grade boundary but still :s-smilie:
Original post by AR_95
Really scared about the optional unit D now. I mean it's easy to understand but I just stumble at all the non mathematical questions. It has the lowest grade boundary but still :s-smilie:

Yeah, but physics is about those questions 'first' :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 971
Original post by Mehrdad jafari
Yeah, but physics is about those questions 'first' :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

what you mean? I don't mean I struggle with qualatative questions in general haha just for the turning points part I do unless it's to do with special relativity. I have no idea on how to prepare for the 6 markers
Original post by AR_95
what you mean? I don't mean I struggle with qualatative questions in general haha just for the turning points part I do unless it's to do with special relativity. I have no idea on how to prepare for the 6 markers

Lol, no, i didn't mean to say you do. I meant the qualitative questions are fundamental in physics :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AR_95

Have you for any tips on how to do special relativity calculations some times really struggle on them. They could do the michaelson and Morley experiment as they have not really done that in a fair while, so to explain the set up of it, why you measured, why and the results of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What is everyone's solution to the fact that there is such a small number of current-spec papers for unit 5; I was planning to do one paper every couple of days, but at this rate, I'll be finished before the end of the week! 😥
Original post by Jimmy20002012
Have you for any tips on how to do special relativity calculations some times really struggle on them. They could do the michaelson and Morley experiment as they have not really done that in a fair while, so to explain the set up of it, why you measured, why and the results of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

For the calculations i would say you need to distinguish the relative reference frames clearly as to which one is being referred to in the question. The book is very unclear about distinguishing them but the consequences are always with respect to the stationary reference frames.

Morley experiment was to detect the 'ether' if there was such a thing which was thought to be the medium supporting the electromagnetic waves to propagate throughout empty space

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 976
Original post by Mehrdad jafari
For the calculations i would say you need to distinguish the relative reference frames clearly as to which one is being referred to in the question. The book is very unclear about distinguishing them but the consequences are always with respect to the stationary reference frames.

Morley experiment was to detect the 'ether' if there was such a thing which was thought to be the medium supporting the electromagnetic waves to propagate throughout empty space

Posted from TSR Mobile

L/m/t naught is always from the reference of the thing moving it's self, where as l/m/t is for the stationary observer right
Reply 977
Original post by Fvthoms
What is everyone's solution to the fact that there is such a small number of current-spec papers for unit 5; I was planning to do one paper every couple of days, but at this rate, I'll be finished before the end of the week! 😥

If you have the nelson thornes book you could try the exam style questions in there? For turning points It's criminal how little resources are available.
Original post by AR_95
L/m/t naught is always from the reference of the thing moving it's self, where as l/m/t is for the stationary observer right

L/m/t naught are from the moving reference frame "when it is stationary"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 979
Original post by Fvthoms

Redo papers. Does no harm :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending