The Student Room Group

OCR MEI - S1 - 20th May 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MathsMaestro
Hypothesis test:

X~B(20, p)
p is the probability that a random person in the population will be treated for a minor illness.
Should p not be the probability a randomly selected person is cured ?
Original post by jonnyiw
Should p not be the probability a randomly selected person is cured ?

I think that's what they meant.
Original post by Duskstar
I think that's what they meant.

Yeah they probably did but the mei examiner is very unforgiving for those type of things
Original post by Qwertykeyboard15
I think the last question said about him picking out more than 2 of the ones he doesn't like before he has a chocolate he does like.
This means that he could have had 2 cherries, 3 cherries etc up to all 6 cherries before eating one that he likes.
So you start with 6/20 x 5/19 x 14/18 (that's the probability of now picking one he likes) and then you do it again but with 3 cherries, then 4, 5, and 6

No becauseI believe the q said "prob. of him having to eat more than 2 before finds one he likes". it may be that he picks all 6 cherry ones before he finds one he doesn't like, we don't know. It just asks you to find the probability of him not getting one he likes from the first 2 (i.e. 2 cherries).
Original post by lilmi5s_elmo
No becauseI believe the q said "prob. of him having to eat more than 2 before finds one he likes". it may be that he picks all 6 cherry ones before he finds one he doesn't like, we don't know. It just asks you to find the probability of him not getting one he likes from the first 2 (i.e. 2 cherries).

Yes you're correct, nice to see someone here understands.
Reply 425
If I rounded the last answer to 0.079 which is roughly equivalent to 3/38 will I pick up full marks on that Q?
Original post by Tee546
If I rounded the last answer to 0.079 which is roughly equivalent to 3/38 will I pick up full marks on that Q?

You'd be very unlucky to lose a mark, but don't discount it as I'm sure you know S1 mark schemes are by far the most stupid. You should be completely fine, it's 3.d.p and entirely correct so unless the exam was found ridiculously easy and they need to invent new ways to make us lose marks, you'll be absolutely fine!
Reply 427
Original post by joe12345marc
You'd be very unlucky to lose a mark, but don't discount it as I'm sure you know S1 mark schemes are by far the most stupid. You should be completely fine, it's 3.d.p and entirely correct so unless the exam was found ridiculously easy and they need to invent new ways to make us lose marks, you'll be absolutely fine!

Nice one, cheers! I had an absolute nightmare with the easiest question on the paper: the on with the deck of cards and aces. I did 1- P(ace then ace), will I get a follow through mark using that answer for my expectation?
Original post by yoomi
Hey :biggrin:

I am just wondering how did u do the hypothesis test question !
The thing that confused me, that there wasn't p=0.78 in the table :frown: so could not finish my answer

Thank you

The key was to do an individual binomial distribution for both 19 and 20 and add them together which was part of the working out for the previous question. This came to 0.046 which is 4.6% which means not sufficient evidence to reject null hypothesis, then the next question asked what if it was done at 5% significance level which would be it was sufficient evidence to reject null hypothesis because 4.6 is less than 5:smile: I'm not sure if this was the correct way to do it but I came out with the right answer.
Original post by Tee546
Nice one, cheers! I had an absolute nightmare with the easiest question on the paper: the on with the deck of cards and aces. I did 1- P(ace then ace), will I get a follow through mark using that answer for my expectation?

I'm sorry I do not remember the question, any context please? :smile: Sorry

Edit: You usually do get 1 FT mark for expectation, BUT NOT ALWAYS so not sure :/
Reply 430
Original post by joe12345marc
I'm sorry I do not remember the question, any context please? :smile: Sorry

Edit: You usually do get 1 FT mark for expectation, BUT NOT ALWAYS so not sure :/

When you had to work out the probability of neither card being an ace?
Original post by Tee546
When you had to work out the probability of neither card being an ace?

You'd almost certainly get a follow through mark for working out expectation as long as you did it with your own answer
Is there an unofficial mark scheme for this paper anywhere?
Original post by princessliz
Is there an unofficial mark scheme for this paper anywhere?

Page 11 iirc
Original post by thecalmmorning
I had no idea how to do that :frown:

I've no idea howitzer guessed it but I just did 1-(5/6)^3 on my calculator and got 91/216.... It was a miracle
I'm sorry i cant finnd it :frown:
Original post by Duskstar
Page 11 iirc
Original post by princessliz
I'm sorry i cant finnd it :frown:

It was page 13:

Original post by otherdan
here ~
Does anyone have pictures of the paper, or know the questions?

Retaking this exam in the summer and would love to see where I went wrong so I can know where to improve.

is anyone able to pm me the paper ? as our sixth form arent doing the mock and wont let me do it. regards, sharkfinn
have you seen integral.com? they have so much revision and help for the whole mei maths course including further maths topics. it even has some text book answers with working outs by hand :smile: I think it was set up by MEI itself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending