The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rjkooljay
Thank you so much! I don't even know where to begin.
My main goal is to work for a corporate tech company (software or hardware engineering depending on if I start liking Physics next year) after my undergrad degree. Would an Oxford degree enable me to work at Amazon, or Google in the United States?
And do Oxford Comp Sci. grads get to work at any such places?

Yes, but so would doing Comp Sci at Cambridge, Imperial, UCL etc.

Once you're at a top university, getting jobs in tech/investment banking/start ups is much more about you as an individual, not which particular top university you attended. If you're the kind of person who tech companies are desperate to hire, you're going to find it easy to break in regardless of whether you're at Oxford/Cambridge/Imperial/UCL/Harvard/MIT. Likewise, if you're not the kind of person who's going to easily land these jobs, going to Cambridge/MIT/Harvard isn't going to make it any easier (from the point of view of education) than Oxford.
Reply 601
Thank you so much! I don't even know where to begin.
My main goal is to work for a corporate tech company (software or hardware engineering depending on if I start liking Physics next year) after my undergrad degree. Would an Oxford degree enable me to work at Amazon, or Google in the United States?
And do Oxford Comp Sci. grads get to work at any such places?

Oh yes of course they do, in fact two of the other CompScis at my college have offers for internships at Google this summer, and it's only first year! And Facebook sent me a very nice email asking me to apply to their internships next summer :tongue:
Original post by Noble.
Yes, but so would doing Comp Sci at Cambridge, Imperial, UCL etc.

Once you're at a top university, getting jobs in tech/investment banking/start ups is much more about you as an individual, not which particular top university you attended. If you're the kind of person who tech companies are desperate to hire, you're going to find it easy to break in regardless of whether you're at Oxford/Cambridge/Imperial/UCL/Harvard/MIT. Likewise, if you're not the kind of person who's going to easily land these jobs, going to Cambridge/MIT/Harvard isn't going to make it any easier (from the point of view of education) than Oxford.

Thank you for your helpful insight. Please clarify what you meant by the kind of person there are desperate to hire.
Original post by Skye25
Oh yes of course they do, in fact two of the other CompScis at my college have offers for internships at Google this summer, and it's only first year! And Facebook sent me a very nice email asking me to apply to their internships next summer :tongue:

Awesome, you might not believe this but your response greatly boosted my confidence in my (future) decision. Thank you :biggrin:
Thank you for your helpful insight. Please clarify what you meant by the kind of person there are desperate to hire.

I just mean that some people are obviously already well positioned to land software engineering internships/jobs at places like Google/Facebook/Quora - i.e. people who already know some programming languages, with experience of doing projects for other people or building applications/systems, who just generally spend a lot of their spare time learning about it. These people won't have much trouble breaking in.
Reply 605
Awesome, you might not believe this but your response greatly boosted my confidence in my (future) decision. Thank you :biggrin:

Good to hear! :smile:
But like Noble said, you can't expect offers to automagically appear just because you go to a top uni, you have to be proactive. The Facebook email came after I participated in a hacking competition organised by them and (apparently) did very well.
Studying at Oxford/Cambridge/Imperial/UCL/Harvard/MIT will probably get you through the first stage of the application process, but from then onwards it will be up to you and your skill/experience.
Is anyone else thinking of applying for a choral or organ scholarship this year? :smile:
Original post by Oakflame
Not Law at Jesus, but hopefully PPE at Lady Margaret! *fingers crossed* :colondollar:

LMH is a fab college! good choice!
GCSE grades: 8 A*s and 1 C
A-Levels: A* (Biology) A (Physics) A (Maths)
AS-Levels: A* (EPQ) B (Chemistry)
Course: Biological Sciences
College: I don't know yet! Interested in Oriel, St Annes and New, but genuinely have no idea.

I will be applying having already got my A2 results - I spent a year at UCL doing physics but hated it, so am taking a year out where I will be working full time at a drug development laboratory.

I'm worried about my lack of a second A* and also worried about my B in AS Chem, and am considering doing my A2 chem while I work. I don't know if it would really help my application though.
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm losing all my motivation to revise now ahhhhh
Original post by personage
LMH is a fab college! good choice!

Leaning more towards Magdalen right now, but who knows? :tongue: Going to the July 2nd Open Day, and I'm staying the night at Magdalen, but I will hopefully visit LMH during the day!
Original post by Pumpkinpasty
Umm at the moment I'm thinking Keble, Brasenose or Balliol, but I'm going on an open day in July so hopefully I will make my final decision then :smile: What about you?

Hehe sorry for the super-late answer, but anyway.... Which day are you going? I am going to the 2nd :smile: Gonna stay overnight at Magdalen, and hopefully visit Lady Margaret, and some others during the day. Do you know if Keble (or Brasenose/Balliol) offer accommodation all three years?
Original post by tilly5798
I'm losing all my motivation to revise now ahhhhh

Same :tongue: only 2 more weeks though! :frown:
What do you take?
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BritishBean
GCSE grades: 8 A*s and 1 C
A-Levels: A* (Biology) A (Physics) A (Maths)
AS-Levels: A* (EPQ) B (Chemistry)
Course: Biological Sciences
College: I don't know yet! Interested in Oriel, St Annes and New, but genuinely have no idea.

I will be applying having already got my A2 results - I spent a year at UCL doing physics but hated it, so am taking a year out where I will be working full time at a drug development laboratory.

I'm worried about my lack of a second A* and also worried about my B in AS Chem, and am considering doing my A2 chem while I work. I don't know if it would really help my application though.

Your GCSE profile is above average for successful Biological Sciences applicants.

I see no real problem with your Alevel/AS grades either. The B is not ideal, but you do not have to be perfect to get into Oxford. I had AABBB at AS (with the A's being on the B boundary) back in the day and still got in- there's more to the process than sheer grades. If it was all Oxford cared about then they'd just automatically give offers to those with the highest grades.

What are your Maths UMS figures like? If you have any particularly good ones that are A* level I would make sure they are mentioned either in your personal statement or school reference.
Original post by lyricalvibe
Same :tongue: only 2 more weeks though! :frown:
What do you take?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, my last exam is on 2nd June though :tongue:

Music, German, Latin and Biology, how about you?
As someone who got into Oxford university, can I just say that yes your GCSE's and AS levels/ A2 predictions are taken into account, but that the university is looking for someone with an excellent personal statement, but most importantly someone who interviews well and performs well in the entrance examination. Too many people seem to think that you need so many a*'s at gcse or you need to take 4 A levels and be predicted all a*'s in them. One of my friends got 3*a's, 4a's and the rest B's at gcse, she went on to achieve AAAU in her AS levels and she got in. Someone who got 12a*'s, 4A's in his AS levels got rejected. Then there's me, I got 6a's, and 4 b's at gcse, went on to get AABB at AS and i got in. I would advise anyone who is thinking of applying to just do it!!! it really is more than your grades. Too many people are put off from applying because they don't have the gcse's that many people brag about on here, or the fact that they didn't get straight a's at AS, do not worry, just do it. Seriously, it is one out of your 5 choices, what's the worst that will happen? you don't get in, wow ok not many people do. but don't let this put you off. If you really want it, go and get it!!!! :biggrin:
Original post by jenkinsear
Your GCSE profile is above average for successful Biological Sciences applicants.

I see no real problem with your Alevel/AS grades either. The B is not ideal, but you do not have to be perfect to get into Oxford. I had AABBB at AS (with the A's being on the B boundary) back in the day and still got in- there's more to the process than sheer grades. If it was all Oxford cared about then they'd just automatically give offers to those with the highest grades.

What are your Maths UMS figures like? If you have any particularly good ones that are A* level I would make sure they are mentioned either in your personal statement or school reference.

My maths UMS was pretty bad, scraped my A haha. One of the reasons I went on to suffer when I studied physics at UCL.

I've already begun preparation for my personal statement! Only a little, but I know how hard it was to write my last one so the experience helps. Also slowly looking into interview skills and stuff.

I'm not gonna place too much on my Oxford application, as others have said there's no harm in trying and no great harm in being rejected either. I am counting on my PS and (if I get an interview) my interview performance to make up for my grades.
GCSE grades: 8 A*s, 2 As plus a Distinction in OCR nationals ICT :tongue:
AS-Levels: AAAAA predicted plus one A which I already have that I did with my GCSEs but I don't know if I'll get this :s-smilie: (should at least get the A in maths and if I get a low grade in anything else I'm taking up further maths as an AS next year and if I get an A in that that'll make up for it)
Course: Physics (4 year)
College: Really like the look of St Johns, but don't know yet (I'd definitely rather go to a bigger college) :h:
Original post by tilly5798
Yeah, my last exam is on 2nd June though :tongue:

Music, German, Latin and Biology, how about you?

You are sooo lucky! I don't finish till the 9th.
I take triple science and double maths.
What do you want to do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Course: History & Politics or PPE (leaning towards History & Politics)
GCSE grades: 3 A*s, 10 As
AS-Levels: AAAA predicted for English Literature, Maths, Government & Politics and History
College: I'll probably make an open application :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending