The Student Room Group

Sertraline

I was prescribed Sertraline by my doctors, 50mg a day for depression and anxiety. I started taking it around February and I feel it has helped with my moods but I've put on a lot of weight. About a stone! And my boobs have gone really bit aswell. Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience when taking Sertraline?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've been on Sertraline for a while (150mg). For me it's actually had the opposite effect, I've been losing weight faster than I did at the beginning of the year when I was seriously depressed and hadn't eaten in weeks, so I guess it's largely dependant on the individual. Wish I could comment on the boobs but I don't have any of those (unfortunately :biggrin:).
Reply 2
So gladf it isn't just me :frown: had the exact same problem -_- (on the same dosage :/ )
Original post by littlesocksx
I was prescribed Sertraline by my doctors, 50mg a day for depression and anxiety. I started taking it around February and I feel it has helped with my moods but I've put on a lot of weight. About a stone! And my boobs have gone really bit aswell. Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience when taking Sertraline?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Dropout_06
I've been on Sertraline for a while (150mg). For me it's actually had the opposite effect, I've been losing weight faster than I did at the beginning of the year when I was seriously depressed and hadn't eaten in weeks, so I guess it's largely dependant on the individual. Wish I could comment on the boobs but I don't have any of those (unfortunately :biggrin:).

Original post by Samwin
So gladf it isn't just me :frown: had the exact same problem -_- (on the same dosage :/ )
are you appetites up or down compared to before you started sertriline? As in is the weight just doing it's own thing or is it a effect of appetite change/eating more?
I noticed an initial reduction in my appetite when i stopped sertraline, so it could have increased your appetite?
I don't feel like my appetite has massively increased though. At first I did but then I kind of went away. It doesn't matter what I eat I just put the weight on. Even if I'm eating super healthy and exercising I cannot shift it :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
I can't say I've noticed any changes in my appetite, it just seems that where before my weight was maintained I'm now losing it, despite no changes in diet or exercise.
I can't say I've noticed any changes in my appetite, it just seems that where before my weight was maintained I'm now losing it, despite no changes in diet or exercise.

See that's the same as me except I put on weight and you lose it! Do you wanna swap?! Haha. I hate it. It always seems to be brushed off as a side effect which isn't that bad when I talk to the doctor but when I've put on a stone it really effects me :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
See that's the same as me except I put on weight and you lose it! Do you wanna swap?! Haha. I hate it. It always seems to be brushed off as a side effect which isn't that bad when I talk to the doctor but when I've put on a stone it really effects me :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

:smile: It sounds good, but to be honest I can see it becoming problematic after a few months if it continues, especially considering I'm likely to be on medication long term.
:smile: It sounds good, but to be honest I can see it becoming problematic after a few months if it continues, especially considering I'm likely to be on medication long term.

Yep exactly! It could become really detrimental to your health. Did you talk to you doctor about it? I asked my counsellor today and he didn't seem to think it was much of an issue.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yep exactly! It could become really detrimental to your health. Did you talk to you doctor about it? I asked my counsellor today and he didn't seem to think it was much of an issue.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wouldn't mind losing half a stone or so, so I'm neglecting to mention it for the time being :rolleyes:. But I may have to soon if starts to become an issue. To be honest I suspect my doctor has already noticed judging by a couple of things he's dropped into conversation :smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest