The Student Room Group

Anyone drive on the motorways around Bham often? (speed camera Q)

So I was driving to Birmingham yesterday and reached a section of the M6 where there was a speed camera every quarter mile it seems. I've never seen so many speed cameras. Anyway, they are pretty discreet and I didn't notice that they were actually speed cameras until I'd gone through about five. I was definitely not doing more than 80, but one of them was flashing up with 60 so I think I probably got done on that one.

Does anyone have any idea if I can get multiple tickets within such a short stretch? Could I look at my mail one day and have five tickets for each camera?

What is the speeding fine these days?

Scroll to see replies

Every time you go through one and it triggers, it is a superset offence - this was a point made at a speeding course I did recently. If you did get caught by a few, it could be a very costly day for you.
Reply 2
I presume you'd also get your license removed if thats the case? As its 3 points for speeding.
I got caught once and they offered me a "National speed awareness course" to attend rather than giving me the 3 points. Pretty sure being caught five times speeding its an instant license removal.
Let's hope you've only been caught once! All the best man.
I went through that part of the M6 last week too. Was amazed at how many there were but I'm not too sure if they're all in use as there were no cameras around, only the markings on the road. Unless the cameras were overhead behind the signs which could be possible.
The council have had to put loads of speed cameras up due to the amount of idiots who think they're in fast and furious. Just drive within the limit and you have no worries.
Reply 5
They are converting all the major motorways to "smart motorways" this amongst other things means they are putting cameras on every gantry which will all go live the moment there's a temporary lower limit signed for.

I feel sorry for all you new drivers. You'll never know what it was like to drive in a world where there was no such thing as speed cameras.
Back in the old days we'd all cruise at 90mph and no one got hurt or nicked. These days we have to blindly obey arbitrary speed limits because joe public has been brainwashed to believe that looking out for the stupid is the way forward. Apparently survival of the fittest isn't an option any more?
Original post by UnknownRoyalist
I went through that part of the M6 last week too. Was amazed at how many there were but I'm not too sure if they're all in use as there were no cameras around, only the markings on the road. Unless the cameras were overhead behind the signs which could be possible.

If these cameras are like the ones they recently installed on the M1 and M25 , and they have the variable speed limits on overhead gantries (haven't been round the M6 recently but these are probably the ones) then yes they do have the speed cameras on the gantries, behind the signs.

Though chances are, not every sign/gantry has a camera on it. However it is always a good idea to be very careful on these sections where they have the cameras.

For the OPs information, I would assume these cameras get turned on when the lower speed limits are in force, though probably not when the speed limit is unchanged?

Speeding fine used to be £60 and 3 points but now it is £100 and 3 points.

Hope that helps!
Original post by spotify95
x

Yes it is the one on the gantries. Does that mean they're only active when a new temporary speed limit is set and are not on if there is no lowered temp limit?

Same as above
Yes it is the one on the gantries. Does that mean they're only active when a new temporary speed limit is set and are not on if there is no lowered temp limit?

Same as above

From what I am aware they are probably only active on a lower speed limit. I have seen drivers speed past the gantries at about 80mph where there is no restricted limit, but the last time I went on the M1 the whole stretch in Bedfordshire (with the camera gantries) was set to 60mph and no one went storming past in the outside lane, over the speed limit.

So I wouldn't know for sure, but it is very probable that the cameras are only in use when the lower speed limit is in force.
From what I am aware they are probably only active on a lower speed limit. I have seen drivers speed past the gantries at about 80mph where there is no restricted limit, but the last time I went on the M1 the whole stretch in Bedfordshire (with the camera gantries) was set to 60mph and no one went storming past in the outside lane, over the speed limit.

So I wouldn't know for sure, but it is very probable that the cameras are only in use when the lower speed limit is in force.

That's what was confusing me too.People were going through them well over 80 which isn't normal. That probably is the case but I'll double check anyway
Reply 10
Thanks for the replies. Yeah they are the stealth ones on the gantries.
I'm not as concerned about the ones where there's no number flashing up. Not sure if they work, but I was probably within the 10% + 2 for those. The one set at 60 though will be my issue

Well I guess I will know by next Saturday!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I love the fact I don't have to put up with all of the speed cameras anymore. I can just put my foot down and go. It's awesome.
Reply 12
Original post by balkanlad
I love the fact I don't have to put up with all of the speed cameras anymore. I can just put my foot down and go. It's awesome.

Why don't you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Airfairy
Why don't you?

Because I've emigrated from the oppressive country that is the UK.
You shouldn't get multiple speeding tickets if it was on the same road and all the cameras/offences were very close together. However I believe it is at the police's discretion.
That's what was confusing me too.People were going through them well over 80 which isn't normal. That probably is the case but I'll double check anyway

In which case if you have seen them do over 80mph on that stretch then the cameras definitely aren't in use unless there is a reduced speed limit. Otherwise they'd all end up with £100 fines.
Original post by Airfairy
Thanks for the replies. Yeah they are the stealth ones on the gantries.
I'm not as concerned about the ones where there's no number flashing up. Not sure if they work, but I was probably within the 10% + 2 for those. The one set at 60 though will be my issue

Well I guess I will know by next Saturday!

Posted from TSR Mobile

No worries! :smile:

Approximately how fast were you going through the one that was flashing 60mph? Because at 60mph the camera behind the gantry would probably be active, and set at about 68mph.

The ones without the reduced speed limit, you were probably fine. AFAIK if there isn't a reduced speed limit the cameras aren't operational?
In which case if you have seen them do over 80mph on that stretch then the cameras definitely aren't in use unless there is a reduced speed limit. Otherwise they'd all end up with £100 fines.

Yep makes sense now. Thanks
Reply 18
No worries! :smile:

Approximately how fast were you going through the one that was flashing 60mph? Because at 60mph the camera behind the gantry would probably be active, and set at about 68mph.

The ones without the reduced speed limit, you were probably fine. AFAIK if there isn't a reduced speed limit the cameras aren't operational?

Hmm probably between 75-80 so definitely above 68.

No idea about those other ones. They would make a fortune from them if they were on all the time so I'd think it would be in their interest to be active.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
I'll let you all know what happens. Mainly because when I've googled and found threads the OP never ends up telling people the outcome, so at the very least it may give someone else some info if they want a related answer in the future.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending