The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 History - Germany 1900-45 - Monday 8th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dmcque
Sorry,

It was a generic question. If you could answer the question it would be great.

Thanks

Haha it doesn't matter, it was the layout of your response which confused me ahah

If you don't mind could you get the question up then I will be able to see it :smile: x
Original post by tessimoghaddam
Well my teacher said that the question was really asking whether or not the holocaust was planned. So we would put points for why it was planned like for example Hitler always hated the Jews and this was evident in his book 'Mein Kamf' and in his policy of creating a 'pure' nationality. Also in the Wansee Conference in 1942 they decided a more radical solution towards the Jewish Question - death camps (systematic extermination) so it shows that they were really pushing and planning the annihilation of the Jews. However, it can be argued that they came up with this radical solution because by 1942 the USA had joined the war and Germany knew they were losing - Hitler wanted to achieve at least one of his aims. - reaction to an event
The Madagascar plan shows the chaotic nature of the Nazi state because they had so many Jews but they didn't know what to do with them.
Hitler hated the Jews but his intentions were unclear - extermination - but the Nazis didn't know how.
The invasion of Russia was seen as a racial war and propaganda was used to depict it like that but really it was due to the declining relations between Germany and Russia and an end to the Nazi-Soviet Pact - yes it brought millions of Jews to them and they shot 700,000 but could be seen as a reaction to an event because they invaded Russia.
Hitler's hatred to the Jews can also be seen as a reaction to an event because the Germans had lost the war and he was looking for a minority to blame - the Jews - also when hyperinflation hit Germans the hardest there were some Jews who were living a more luxury life - this increased anti-Semitism and so persecutions were made against the Jews because of this - could show that he hated the Jews though - random attacks made by the SA/SS, raiding of their homes, losing their jobs and homes and eventually their German citizenships.
Those were the kinda points I put in my essay and I went with the holocaust being unplanned but up to the individual. You could also add deportations etc. Hope this helps! x

Thank you :smile: this does help a lot :biggrin: x
Original post by tggfootymad
Knowing Edexcel, if everyone is banking on consolidation of power, then they won't make it that predictable and obvious!

My teacher consecutively predicted 3/4 questions in AS and A2 for 3 years.

Edexcel is predictable.

That's not to say that she always right though.
Original post by Tow

Edexcel is predictable.

Hey!

You've not been on this thread for a while :frown: x
With consolidation of power I do wonder whether it would be a question on how or how far...
Reply 1245
Original post by Tow

Edexcel is predictable.

My college always set the last class mock we do to be the question the department have predicted for that year.

They've got it right several times apparently. This year's was the Nazi Consolidation one :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1246
Original post by cuppa
With consolidation of power I do wonder whether it would be a question on how or how far...

That would be the difference between a causation and a judgement question.

In reality you could use the same "factors" as evidence, but you just need to ensure you lead your paragraph with judgements on the extent of consolidation instead of factors.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bunny2014
Hey!

You've not been on this thread for a while :frown: x

Hey,

And yeah I've been very occupied xD

But don't worry... I'm always here... watching... observing...

I see everything. 😏
Original post by Tow
Hey,

And yeah I've been very occupied xD

But don't worry... I'm always here... watching... observing...

I see everything. 😏

Hahah :smile: I'm sure you do x
Could a question on how successful Stresemann was as a foreign minister come up
Reply 1250
Original post by Ahmed_Duale
Could a question on how successful Stresemann was as a foreign minister come up

It seems a rather narrow question in all honesty. Also, that period came up last year so I'm guessing a Nazi question is more likely.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,

How do your structure your essays?

Im looking for a new structure as i dont feel mine hits the mark scheme

Original post by CD223
It seems a rather narrow question in all honesty. Also, that period came up last year so I'm guessing a Nazi question is more likely.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1252
Original post by dmcque
Hi,

How do your structure your essays?

Im looking for a new structure as i dont feel mine hits the mark scheme

It varies depending on the question.

Generally:

•Intro setting out LOA
3-4 paragraphs containing judgements/causations
Conclusion reinforcing LOA and including no extra own knowledge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
It varies depending on the question.

Generally:

•Intro setting out LOA
3-4 paragraphs containing judgements/causations
Conclusion reinforcing LOA and including no extra own knowledge.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yup

Including LOA is so important in Intro

And maintaining that throughout the essay is crucial for 27+ marks.
Hi, I know you've said this before but could you please explain the difference between the causation and judgement question and how we can tell which ones which? Sorry if that's a dumb question :frown:
Original post by tessimoghaddam
Hi, I know you've said this before but could you please explain the difference between the causation and judgement question and how we can tell which ones which? Sorry if that's a dumb question :frown:

Hey there,

Basically a judgement question is a yes/no question and causation is factors.

It's harder now than it was last year to decide what the question is but you can look for clues.

If there is a factor given in the question then it's almost always a causation e.g. 'How far did proportional representation contribute to the fall of the Weimar Republic?'

You would write a paragraph on the given factor then explore others.

Here's the hard part: how far questions could be either judgement or causation questions.

'How far did the social and economic conditions during the second reich worsen during the war?'

That's a judgement.

The key to figuring out which is which is to know your content inside out so you can come to a logical conclusion as to what it is.

I'm sorry I don't have some magical words that will ONLY be used in causation questions or judgement questions - but this is A2 History, it's supposed to be challenging.

Hope this helped:smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1256
Original post by Tow
Yup

Including LOA is so important in Intro

And maintaining that throughout the essay is crucial for 27+ marks.

That's true - how are the plans going?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tow

Edexcel is predictable.

And she is predicting consolidation and....?

Sometimes it is in fairness. Last year's 40 marker questions for unit 2, consensus and conflict were just sooo obvious and they did come up. The only bits of the spec they hadn't done and they used them, so fingers crossed for the same this year!
Original post by CD223

Posted from TSR Mobile

So, foreign policy CANNOT come up on its own. The specification explicitly says that.
If a 'how far did the Nazis consolidate power by 1933' or whatever came up, rather than the multi-factor question, how would everyone tackle that? I think that's much harder to write convincingly about

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending