The Student Room Group

Unit 4: Implications

This exam is the work of the devil. How does one revise for it?

Scroll to see replies

Surely someone else is also doing this exam? SMH.
Reply 2
Is this for edexcel? Which section are you doing? I'm doing philosophy and I have no idea how to revise either :/
Hello,

I teach the Edexcel AS and A2 Religious Studies so hopefully I am able to help you.

For the implications unit you need to have read the three texts for the unit you are studying. So, for example, in philosophy you need to read Westphal, Ayer and Donovan.

You are NOT expected to learn the texts off by heart, however you need to show an understanding of what the text is saying, how this relates to what you have studied, and consider the impact the text has on religious believers etc.
Original post by tommck97
Is this for edexcel? Which section are you doing? I'm doing philosophy and I have no idea how to revise either :/

Same here
Original post by cogitoergo
Hello,

I teach the Edexcel AS and A2 Religious Studies so hopefully I am able to help you.

For the implications unit you need to have read the three texts for the unit you are studying. So, for example, in philosophy you need to read Westphal, Ayer and Donovan.

You are NOT expected to learn the texts off by heart, however you need to show an understanding of what the text is saying, how this relates to what you have studied, and consider the impact the text has on religious believers etc.

Thanks, after some soul-searching (as well as some sleepless nights) I figured that the exam isn't as daunting as it first seemed. I finished Ayer and am doing Westhpal now. Have you got any general exam tips? Like timing etc.
Identify key points of the passage and use highlighters in the exam as this will help you to focus on the question at hand. You are also credited marks for making links between other texts e.g. If Donovan comes up and it is to dowith religious experience, you could make links to Ayer and his text 'God talk is evidently non-sense' and his verification principle. You would also be expected to bring in William James. Bring a selection of philosophers et al to show the examiner the breadth and depth of your understanding. After all, 1 hour 15 minutes is not a lot of time to write!

If you follow this format you can't go too far wrong

a) Clarify the argument and/or interpretation in the passage. (30)
What is the context? I.e. what is the article about overall? (1 paragraph)

What is the content of this passage arguing? (3-4 paragraphs).

What is the contribution of this to wider debates and topics? (1-2 paragraphs).

(b) Do you agree with the idea(s) expressed? Justify your point of view and discuss its implications for understanding religion and human experience. [20]
Do you agree with the scholar? Why? Why not?

If this passage is right, what does this mean for religion?

If this passage is right, what does this mean for human experience? How might it affect someone’s life?

Conclusion.
Original post by cogitoergo
Identify key points of the passage and use highlighters in the exam as this will help you to focus on the question at hand. You are also credited marks for making links between other texts e.g. If Donovan comes up and it is to dowith religious experience, you could make links to Ayer and his text 'God talk is evidently non-sense' and his verification principle. You would also be expected to bring in William James. Bring a selection of philosophers et al to show the examiner the breadth and depth of your understanding. After all, 1 hour 15 minutes is not a lot of time to write!

If you follow this format you can't go too far wrong

a) Clarify the argument and/or interpretation in the passage. (30)
What is the context? I.e. what is the article about overall? (1 paragraph)

What is the content of this passage arguing? (3-4 paragraphs).

What is the contribution of this to wider debates and topics? (1-2 paragraphs).

(b) Do you agree with the idea(s) expressed? Justify your point of view and discuss its implications for understanding religion and human experience. [20]
Do you agree with the scholar? Why? Why not?

If this passage is right, what does this mean for religion?

If this passage is right, what does this mean for human experience? How might it affect someone’s life?

Conclusion.

Thank you so much! Do you have any predictions of what will come up this year?
Reply 8
Does anyone know which one came up last year?
Reply 9
Westphal came up last year so its most likely either Donovan or Ayer..
I really hope Ayer doesn't come up, I don't feel I can do it justice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by meeeeee7
I really hope Ayer doesn't come up, I don't feel I can do it justice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I prefer it to Donovan and Westphal :/
I think Westphal is the best as there is a lot to interpret no matter which passage comes up but it came up last year. Donovan is ok... I don't like the second half, the Buber bit. Ayer seems like it should be possible to learn an essay in advance and only adapt it slightly but I'm not sure how to write the essay :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
I sweat money and the bank is my shower.
Is anybody doing Jamieson, Schneewind and Lafollette?
Reply 15
I am, how are you finding it ?
I'm doing Schneewind, Lafollette and Jamieson! Can you help me please?
Original post by sleepisheaven
Is anybody doing Jamieson, Schneewind and Lafollette?

Reply 18
Same, I need help as well

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by theTeddyBearx

I was going to ask you the same thing :lol:

I just hope Jamieson comes up hes the only one i'm ready for and I think hes most likely to come up

14 - Lafollette
13 - Schneewind
12 - Jamieson
11 - Schneewind
10 - Lafollete

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending