The Student Room Group

Are anti-feminists sexist beasts or just stupid?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by napkinsquirrel
They could be if they wanted to kill all women too :wink:

Hahaha well, when you put it that way!
Original post by blackened_sky
If you support equality, you are a feminist though. Like who, and radical how?

This is one of the reasons people hate feminists. You always tell people what to think and try to indoctrinate them and tell them they're a feminist when they're not.

I'm just a person that supports equality for everyone. Not a feminist.
Original post by Rhetorical Hips
I said by the dictionary definition... if you support equal rights for men and women, you're a feminist.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/feminist

Obviously feminism as most see it no longer matches the dictionary definition.

equalitarianism or equalism—is a trend of thought that favors equality for all people. Egalitarian doctrines maintain that all humans are equal in fundamental worth or social status, according to the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy.

Wouldn't be a feminist debate without getting the dictionaries out. Just lol.

Feminists in this thread staying true to the stereotypes.

But ye you telling me I'm a feminist doesn't make me a feminist. Sorry :tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ChickenMadness
Wrong.

lol. just lol.

Oi stop upsetting people :frown: Won't tell you again
I'm all for gender equality but I don't call myself a feminist as they have very bad reputations for being radical pychos who hate men and want to take them down. I don't hate men so yeah :redface:
This is one of the reasons people hate feminists. You always tell people what to think and try to indoctrinate them and tell them they're a feminist when they're not.

I'm just a person that supports equality for everyone. Not a feminist.

I'm not telling you what to think at all.

You don't have to label yourself a feminist, I'm just saying that you agree with the views of the feminist movement, so technically you might as well be one.

But please tell me what radical feminists are in power, and how they are supposedly radical.

You don't have to label yourself a feminist, I'm just saying that you agree with the views of the feminist movement, so technically you might as well be one.

But please tell me what radical feminists are in power, and how they are supposedly radical.

Really can't be bothered to trawl through the internet getting links for you. I don't care enough. Made loads of posts about this on previous threads in the past.

And no I don't agree with the views of the feminist movement since they support unequal conditions and laws that favour women over men.
(edited 8 years ago)
equalitarianism or equalism—is a trend of thought that favors equality for all people. Egalitarian doctrines maintain that all humans are equal in fundamental worth or social status, according to the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy.

Wouldn't be a feminist debate without getting the dictionaries out. Just lol.

Feminists in this thread staying true to the stereotypes.

But ye you telling me I'm a feminist doesn't make me a feminist. Sorry :tongue:

Seems to be a bit of a misunderstanding here. I'm not trying to pick a fight, just being pedantic :smile: I'm just saying that you and I, by the old, simplistic and probably outdated dictionary definition of feminism, would be classified as feminists.

It terms of where feminism is today though, with the radical femi-nazis with some pretty misandrist views and all that, then I imagine you and I are anti-feminists.
Really can't be bothered to trawl through the internet getting links for you. I don't care enough. Made loads of posts about this on previous threads in the past.

And no I don't agree with the views of the feminist movement since they support unequal conditions and laws.

If you can't be bothered to support something, don't post it in the first place. If you don't care enough, again, don't post in the first place.

Then you are another person who does not understand the feminist movement.
Original post by Rhetorical Hips
Seems to be a bit of a misunderstanding here. I'm not trying to pick a fight, just being pedantic :smile: I'm just saying that you and I, by the old, simplistic and probably outdated dictionary definition of feminism, would be classified as feminists.

It terms of where feminism is today though, with the radical femi-nazis with some pretty misandrist views and all that, then I imagine you and I are anti-feminists.

ye my bad the dictionary battles are just old and tiresome. That's pretty much what feminist threads turn into once the feminist brigade arrives lol

If you can't be bothered to support something, don't post it in the first place. If you don't care enough, again, don't post in the first place.Then you are another person who does not understand the feminist movement.
I care enough to post. Not to do your research for you lol. Look through my post history if you're THAT bothered.

I care enough to post. Not to do your research for you lol. Look through my post history if you're THAT bothered.

If you're gonna make an unfounded claim then you should be the one backing it up, not me mate.

I don't think that it's feminists that are in power per se, more that they occupy positions in social media that have the ability to portray feminism in a negative light to the casual viewer who has never experienced feminism before. The only ones that spring to mind are women like Anita Sarkeesian and Rebecca what's-her-name. I think people also dislike the way that some feminists try to make themselves out to be as strong or as tough as men; they're not victims and they shouldn't be viewed as such; they might call these traditional gender roles or something to that effect. In the next video or vlog they will tell the audience that they need feminism because women are more sexually assaulted more than men and are hence victimised more. That kind of thing.
Reply 32
feminism is petty in the western world...
I don't think that it's feminists that are in power per se, more that they occupy positions in social media that have the ability to portray feminism in a negative light to the casual viewer who has never experienced feminism before. The only ones that spring to mind are women like Anita Sarkeesian and Rebecca what's-her-name. I think people also dislike the way that some feminists try to make themselves out to be as strong or as tough as men; they're not victims and they shouldn't be viewed as such; they might call these traditional gender roles or something to that effect. In the next video or vlog they will tell the audience that they need feminism because women are more sexually assaulted more than men and are hence victimised more. That kind of thing.

Yeah, I completely understand that. But those people don't reflect the majority of views either. They just chat so much sh*te that people don't stop talking about them, hence they're perceived as being the majority.

I think there's a big problem with some feminists obsessing over trivial issues, such as catcalling, when there is a much bigger need for action to be taken on problems that are experienced by women and girls in areas like the middle east, where they are raped and then stoned to death for *daring* to be raped.

But, the key word is "some". Rejecting feminism because you disagree with the minority isn't going to help, or change things. Don't be afraid to embrace its true meaning, help to change the current stereotype that is associated with feminism of "psycho white girl who wants all men dead".
Yeah, I completely understand that. But those people don't reflect the majority of views either. They just chat so much sh*te that people don't stop talking about them, hence they're perceived as being the majority.

I think there's a big problem with some feminists obsessing over trivial issues, such as catcalling, when there is a much bigger need for action to be taken on problems that are experienced by women and girls in areas like the middle east, where they are raped and then stoned to death for *daring* to be raped.

But, the key word is "some". Rejecting feminism because you disagree with the minority isn't going to help, or change things. Don't be afraid to embrace its true meaning, help to change the current stereotype that is associated with feminism of "psycho white girl who wants all men dead".

That is very true. It's also hard to ignore the contribution that feminism has made in advancing the LGBT movement; that on it's own should be applauded.
Define Feminist?
Original post by Haiiz
feminism is petty in the western world...

Arguably true as well. Whilst gender equality is important, there's no denying that women in Western countries still have far greater freedom than their counterparts in other areas of the world. I think that quite a lot of stuff is being done to combat inequality in less developed countries though so it sort of balances out.

Nice profile pic btw :3
Original post by WhisperingTide
Define Feminist?

Darude - Sandstorm

Also:
The advocacy of women's rights on the ground of the equality of the sexes
A feminist being an advocate of the above sentiment.
Darude - Sandstorm

Also:
The advocacy of women's rights on the ground of the equality of the sexes
A feminist being an advocate of the above sentiment.

It's possible that people, who are neither stupid nor sexist, may disagree with that stance, on the basis that, blanket equality - in all areas, when there are measurable, notable differences, both physical and emotional, is both unreasonable and would break more than it fixes.
An opposing stance would be to examine on a person-by-person basis, and tailor society's ideas of 'rights' and such to what fits the situation, as opposed to having the potential 'best' solution be obstructed in some situations, by the preconceived and established idea that all things must be equal by default.
Instead, wavering from that stance could lead to a more flex-able situation, which is better for everybody as it looks at situation-specific elements, as opposed to a 'single-size' solution.
Original post by WhisperingTide
It's possible that people, who are neither stupid nor sexist, may disagree with that stance, on the basis that, blanket equality - in all areas, when there are measurable, notable differences, both physical and emotional, is both unreasonable and would break more than it fixes.
An opposing stance would be to examine on a person-by-person basis, and tailor society's ideas of 'rights' and such to what fits the situation, as opposed to having the potential 'best' solution be obstructed in some situations, by the preconceived and established idea that all things must be equal by default.
Instead, wavering from that stance could lead to a more flex-able situation, which is better for everybody as it looks at situation-specific elements, as opposed to a 'single-size' solution.

Good point; I think too many people tend to view genders as being equal in all areas despite them being different; there's a reason why women can't serve as Infantrymen in the British Army at the moment. Equality even works against women in terms of how a child is accommodated in the event of a divorce. I'm not too sure what to think about the supposed wage gap though. On the one hand women would say that men are paid higher amounts over the course of their careers but ignore the fact that a lot of women drop out of work to have children; clarification on this from verifiable sources would be nice so we can settle this debate once and for all :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending