The Student Room Group

U in one unit, is A still possible?

Hey guys I'm just doing alevels, I just wanted to ask say for example I got a U in unit 1 biology, is it possible for me to get an A or a B overall with unit 2,4,5 plus practicals unit 3 and 6??? I know that biol1 is 100ums, biol2 is 140ums, biol3=60ums biol4=100ums biol5=140 and biol6 =60ums... Right?
Reply 1
Original post by Bybella
Hey guys I'm just doing alevels, I just wanted to ask say for example I got a U in unit 1 biology, is it possible for me to get an A or a B overall with unit 2,4,5 plus practicals unit 3 and 6??? I know that biol1 is 100ums, biol2 is 140ums, biol3=60ums biol4=100ums biol5=140 and biol6 =60ums... Right?

You'd have to get a strong A in everything else, but even then it depends on the percentages

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bybella

Assuming you get 0 in unit one, that only gives you 20 marks for any errors to get an A overall. However most likely if that happened you'll probably be advised to retake next year that module.
Reply 3
Original post by Andy98
You'd have to get a strong A in everything else, but even then it depends on the percentages

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ohh okay, I'm doing biology As and A2 in a year so I've only done biol1 and the practicals biol3 and biol6... I don't think I've done well in biol1 ... I just don't understand thing alevel system that's why I'm just unsure... What about a B?
Reply 4
Original post by Slowbro93
Assuming you get 0 in unit one, that only gives you 20 marks for any errors to get an A overall. However most likely if that happened you'll probably be advised to retake next year that module.

Hey I'm actually a uni student, I'm planning to change my course so I'm actually doing this alevel on one year privately, so I'm sitting all of them... I've already done biol1 and the practicals biol3 and biol6 now I've got the rest left...
Original post by Bybella
Hey I'm actually a uni student, I'm planning to change my course so I'm actually doing this alevel on one year privately, so I'm sitting all of them... I've already done biol1 and the practicals biol3 and biol6 now I've got the rest left...

I see :tongue: What marks have you gotten so far?
Instead of calculating how much needed for a particular grade, you should put in as much work in as you can now (you still have the time) and do your best in the exam.
What you are doing now is unnecessary exam pressure and time wasting. Give the exams your best shot! Best of luck and I'm hoping for the best outcome for you :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Manisha__06
Instead of calculating how much needed for a particular grade, you should put in as much work in as you can now (you still have the time) and do your best in the exam.
What you are doing now is unnecessary exam pressure and time wasting. Give the exams your best shot! Best of luck and I'm hoping for the best outcome for you :smile:

Hey I'm trying my best, I just wanted to ask as I'm an external student and I'm doing everything in a year, I just don't know how the ums and grading system works, I just thought getting a U in one unit meant you would fail the whole thing but someone told me you don't so I just wanted to ask
Reply 8
I see :tongue: What marks have you gotten so far?

For biol3 rough mark was 40 and biol6 was 42, and I don't know about biol1 it was a shocking paper... Hahaha but I'm just hoping I get good ums on unit2,3 and 4 to atleast get a B or even a C
My comment wasn't to discourage or patronise you. I didn't full understand your situation and sorry I misread.
UMS give a certain number of points, they usually have a converter on the website of the exam board you are sitting
AQA: http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/about-results/uniform-mark-scale/convert-marks-to-ums
Edexcel: http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/demo/en/support/support-topics/results-certification/understanding-marks-and-grades.html
OCR: http://www.ocr.org.uk/ocr-for/exams-officers/results/results-statistics/
Those are the most common exam boards but of course if you aren't sitting exams from these exam boards have a google search for the exam board you are sitting.
Even if you get a U in a subject, that does not mean you get 0 unless you write nothing. For example an E may be 40 UMS, below 40 would be a U which will still add up to your total grade.
To gain an A grade you will need your UMS to total to an A grade of UMS so the U being below 40 can still contribute towards your total UMS.
In summary, yes it is possible to still gain an A grade, you would need to smash the other exams
I hope that helps and makes sense.
Original post by Bybella
For biol3 rough mark was 40 and biol6 was 42, and I don't know about biol1 it was a shocking paper... Hahaha but I'm just hoping I get good ums on unit2,3 and 4 to atleast get a B or even a C

It's still possible to get a B at least and even an A depending on how your unit 1 paper turns out :yep: I honestly would just focus on doing really well in the other 3 papers (harder said then done I know) and then enjoy your summer :smile:

I wish you the best of luck and your hard work will pay off :hugs:
Reply 11
Original post by Bybella
Ohh okay, I'm doing biology As and A2 in a year so I've only done biol1 and the practicals biol3 and biol6... I don't think I've done well in biol1 ... I just don't understand thing alevel system that's why I'm just unsure... What about a B?

It's possible. Hard, but possible.
Reply 12
Original post by Manisha__06
My comment wasn't to discourage or patronise you. I didn't full understand your situation and sorry I misread.
UMS give a certain number of points, they usually have a converter on the website of the exam board you are sitting
AQA: http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/about-results/uniform-mark-scale/convert-marks-to-ums
Edexcel: http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/demo/en/support/support-topics/results-certification/understanding-marks-and-grades.html
OCR: http://www.ocr.org.uk/ocr-for/exams-officers/results/results-statistics/
Those are the most common exam boards but of course if you aren't sitting exams from these exam boards have a google search for the exam board you are sitting.
Even if you get a U in a subject, that does not mean you get 0 unless you write nothing. For example an E may be 40 UMS, below 40 would be a U which will still add up to your total grade.
To gain an A grade you will need your UMS to total to an A grade of UMS so the U being below 40 can still contribute towards your total UMS.
In summary, yes it is possible to still gain an A grade, you would need to smash the other exams
I hope that helps and makes sense.

Thank you for this information :smile:)
Reply 13
It's still possible to get a B at least and even an A depending on how your unit 1 paper turns out :yep: I honestly would just focus on doing really well in the other 3 papers (harder said then done I know) and then enjoy your summer :smile:

I wish you the best of luck and your hard work will pay off :hugs:

Yeah I'm revising sooooo much, watching YouTube videos doing questions I'm just hoping I end up with a B or even a C 😁😁
Reply 14
Original post by Andy98
It's possible. Hard, but possible.

I'm going to revise much more now :biggrin:
Reply 15
Original post by Bybella
I'm going to revise much more now :biggrin:

Good idea
Original post by Bybella
Thank you for this information :smile:)

All the best of luck!

Quick Reply