The Student Room Group

A2 Biology OCR June 2015 Revision Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheLegalDealer
So helpful ! Thank you so much ! Btw do we have to learn the raitos or is it better ti work it out ??

My pleasure ☺️ Yes do learn them as they may get you to identify different types of epistasis.

Recessive= 9:3:4
Dominant= 12:3:1 or 13:3
Complementary= 9:7
Reply 921
If you feel at a loss and have basically given up, should you just go on to past papers? Because I feel like I know nothing and maybe if I just do past papers, it'll slowly come to me.
Do we need to know the dorsal root ganglia etc in detail ??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 923
Original post by bbadonde2
Recessive epistasis is when you need a dominant allele of the epistatic first gene for the second hypostatic gene to be expressed. For example. Coat colour is controlled by the genes Z/z and G/g. For G/g gene to be expressed there must be a dominant allele for the Z/z gene.

Colourless compound --- Z/z ---> Grey ---G/g ---> Yellow.
If there is no dominant Z then G/g cannot be expressed. ZzGg will produce yellow. zzGG will be colourless. ZZgg will be grey, 9:3:4 ratio

Dominant epistasis is essentially the opposite. You need a recessive allele is the first epistatic gene for the second hypostatic gene to be expressed. Against Z/z and G/g for coat colour.

Colourless compound --- Z/z ---> Grey ---G/g ---> Yellow.
There needs to be a zz combination for the second gene to be expressed. zzGG will lead to yellow, zzgg will lead to Grey, ZzGG wil lead to colourless, ZZGG will be colourless. You need recessive homozygous in the first gene. 12:3:1 or 13:3 ratio

Thank you for this post but I just wanted to clarify that your taking the first allele as the epistatic one? Because it could be the other way around.
predictions everyone? people must have some idea

also with regards to photosynthesis and respiration is it always one or the other that comes up?
Yeah most likely they both will come up! Unit 4 tends to cover everything

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by normalman
predictions everyone? people must have some idea

also with regards to photosynthesis and respiration is it always one or the other that comes up?

My teacher is a chief examiner and said last years paper was the end of a seven year cycle. So now they start again so anything could be on the paper. Also sometimes respiration and photosynthesis appear together in a question. But I'm pretty sure they always both come up. :smile:
Original post by maisie__x
My teacher is a chief examiner and said last years paper was the end of a seven year cycle. So now they start again so anything could be on the paper. Also sometimes respiration and photosynthesis appear together in a question. But I'm pretty sure they always both come up. :smile:

cheers! im relatively normal but my teacher said revise the kidney very well for f214??
cheers! im relatively normal but my teacher said revise the kidney very well for f214??

Yeah we spent ages learning the kidney! I think it's because it's the biggest topic so it's likely that the paper will have the biggest proportion of questions about the kidney on it.
Original post by maisie__x
Yeah we spent ages learning the kidney! I think it's because it's the biggest topic so it's likely that the paper will have the biggest proportion of questions about the kidney on it.

thought so thanks maisie.

what are everyones thoughts on my revision tactic, revise the even pages in f214 and the odd pages in f215. did this last year and managed an A overall somehow.
Reply 931

what are everyones thoughts on my revision tactic, revise the even pages in f214 and the odd pages in f215. did this last year and managed an A overall somehow.

What the

Seriously ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by a123a
Thank you for this post but I just wanted to clarify that your taking the first allele as the epistatic one? Because it could be the other way around.

Yes I'm taking the first one as the epistatic one and the second as the hypostatic.
Reply 934
How are you guys tackling the suggest questions in the papers? i'm really struggling with answering these type of questions and applying my knowledge. I know the content, but sometimes i'm confused about what the question is actually asking. Really not looking forward to F215. There are so many random questions and topics in this unit.:frown:
Original post by kobobo
How are you guys tackling the suggest questions in the papers? i'm really struggling with answering these type of questions and applying my knowledge. I know the content, but sometimes i'm confused about what the question is actually asking. Really not looking forward to F215. There are so many random questions and topics in this unit.:frown:

Plan is to write everything I think is correct probably just pick up marks at least none will get taken off

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 936
Original post by cheeky 12

Plan is to write everything I think is correct probably just pick up marks at least none will get taken off

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks i've been doing that so far. Its just so annoying how the examiners can be so picky. I read the examiners report for f211 last year and they were really picky about talking about vacuoles. You had to say large vacuole to get the mark. Its small points like that i'm scared i might lose out on.
Original post by kobobo
Thanks i've been doing that so far. Its just so annoying how the examiners can be so picky. I read the examiners report for f211 last year and they were really picky about talking about vacuoles. You had to say large vacuole to get the mark. Its small points like that i'm scared i might lose out on.

I know I hate how they done test our knowledge and test us on stupid things like including "large" or saying stuff like health AND disease like you'll lose a mark for not including and wth

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 938
Any predictions on what questions will come up for unit 4 this year?
Reply 939
Original post by danwilliams33
Just thought I'd set up this thread so that we can start building a group of people for the exam in June.

If you do A2 Biology then please join in on this. Share past papers or questions etc so that we can start to get our grades higher.

A revision thread really helped for my AS so I think this will also be beneficial if we use this for revision aswell. :smile:))))))

Any predictions on what questions may come up this year?

Quick Reply