The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LockheedSpooky
Quite easy.

With a blockade, they managed to smuggle in tens of thousands of rockets.

Without a blockade, what do you think the so-called 'palestinians' will be able to smuggle in?

They referring to who?
Original post by Feraligatr
They referring to who?

:facepalm2:
Original post by Feraligatr
They referring to who?

The person you are replying to made it pretty clear that his 'they' is "so-called palestinians."

To be more precise, the subset of the above which we are dealing with in this context is primarily Hamas and secondarily Islamic Jihad. Recently, it has also begun to refer to the local ISIS chapter. These are subsets of a larger 'they' which is Gazans.
(edited 8 years ago)

The Guardian is on par with Goebbels when it comes to Israel.

A paper without credibility that was forced to (under weight of the evidence) publicly apologise for its correspondents "straying into anti-semitism" when reporting on Israel.

Now the so-called 'palestinians', that fabricated politically-motivated construct, claimed that 'settlement' building was a barrier to peace and that they were unable to attend peace talks because of that.

Let's leave aside the fact that there wasn't a single settlement building pre-1967 and still the so-called 'palestinians' (trading under the name 'Jordanians' back then) attacked Israel.

However, Israel took the so-called 'palestinians' at face value and froze all settlement building for a period of 9 months.

During these 9 months, the so-called 'palestinians' rebuffed every single attempt by Israel to meet for peace talks. Even when Bibi publicly called on them to meet and said Israel was willing to without preconditions.

Still they refused because they have the EU on their side funding their war against Israel and now an acquiescent friend in the white house - not to mention the morally bankrupt and bigoted left wing movement.
Now the so-called 'palestinians', that fabricated politically-motivated construct, claimed that 'settlement' building was a barrier to peace and that they were unable to attend peace talks because of that.

Any nationality is a fabricated construct, but the Palestinian people who were living in what was known as Palestine when the British were in charge have a right to self-determination.

The Israeli settlements are illegal. Even Israel's Supreme Court admits this. The Palestinians have attended peace talks on several occasions, and, in fact, have offered Israel incredibly generous deals in the past.

In 2008, for instance, the Palestine Papers were leaked, in an embarrassment for the Palestinian Authority.

The Palestinian Authority offered to give Israel “the biggest Yerushalayim in Jewish history”, permitting it to formally annex nearly all of East Jerusalem. Alongside this the Palestinian negotiating team outlined a deal in which Israel would annex 1.9% of the West Bank in the context of a landswap, permitting Israeli to incorporate into its future borders 63% of the illegal settler population. They also made massive concessions on the right of return of refugees, allowing for only 10,000 out of approximately 5 million refugees to return. The response from Tzipi Livni, the then leader of Israel’s ‘moderate’ opposition, was blunt: “we do not like this suggestion because it does not meet our demands”. In fact, they also show that Livni admitted that "the policy of the [Israeli] government for a really long time", has been "to take more and more land day after day and that at the end of the day we'll say that is impossible, we already have the land and we cannot create the [Palestinian] state".

And, of course, today, Netanyahu himself has admitted that he does not support a two-state solution, whilst the President of the State of Palestine does and also recognises Israel's right to exist.

Let's leave aside the fact that there wasn't a single settlement building pre-1967 and still the so-called 'palestinians' (trading under the name 'Jordanians' back then) attacked Israel.

The settlements were built when the State of Israel was founded, and the Israelis ethnically cleansed Palestinians from locations which weren't even allocated to the Israelis under the UN Partition Plan.

Even Benny Morris, a staunch Zionist and historian, who was one of the first to demonstrate that this had occurred, has admitted that ethnic cleansing took place. Of course, some prefer to use the euphemistic term "population transfer".

However, Israel took the so-called 'palestinians' at face value and froze all settlement building for a period of 9 months.

During these 9 months, the so-called 'palestinians' rebuffed every single attempt by Israel to meet for peace talks. Even when Bibi publicly called on them to meet and said Israel was willing to without preconditions.

Negotiations did take place during a later settlement freeze, however, and were taking place up until last year.

Throughout every negotiation, Israel and the United States have blocked the international consensus on the two-state solution, failing to pledge to end the occupation and illegal annexation of Palestinian territory. And, as seen above, Israel rejected an extremely generous offer from the Palestinian leadership.

Israel have always offered a variety of excuses, ranging from "the Palestinians aren't united" to, when they form a unity government, "they're united, so we can't have a deal". However, from the 1930s to the present day, the aim of the Zionist movement has been to take more and more land for themselves.

As David Ben-Gurion stated in a letter when he claimed to have accepted the UN Partition Plan: "My assumption (which is why I am a fervent proponent of a state, even though it is now linked to partition) is that a Jewish state on only part of the land is not the end but the beginning."
(edited 7 years ago)
The amount of IRA sympathisers who, for whatever reason, seem to believe that the Palestinians are their best mates, never fails to astonish me :rofl:
The Guardian is on par with Goebbels when it comes to Israel.

A paper without credibility that was forced to (under weight of the evidence) publicly apologise for its correspondents "straying into anti-semitism" when reporting on Israel.

Do you actually dispute what the article says - i.e. that the Israeli side broke off the talks in April 2014, supposedly in reaction to the forming of the Palestinian unity government, or are you just going to ad hom?

Now the so-called 'palestinians', that fabricated politically-motivated construct

Like all national identities, in other words?

The dynamics of a conflict are slightly different to what they were half a century ago? Shocking!

Aside from anything else, this was in 2009-10, whereas the last peace talks, as I said, were last year. Keep up.
Interesting documentary

[video="youtube;tNDCcsH_wgU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=292&v=tNDCcsH_wgU[/video]
Not really a documentary. More of a pro Israeli propoganda piece.
Me and my friends stopped paying student union charges because they set up an anti-israel debate. Funny though, because they had to close 3 programs xxx
God forbid anyone speaking out of ethnic cleansing of people from their lands. Maybe in 60 years time palestinians will be able to use tge victIm card and take over another nation
Original post by golden tribe
God forbid anyone speaking out of ethnic cleansing of people from their lands. Maybe in 60 years time palestinians will be able to use tge victIm card and take over another nation

Have I missed something?
Original post by MatureStudent36
Have I missed something?

the last 100 years
Original post by ridwan12
the last 100 years

I'm just finishing off the last 70 years with gas chambers, pan Arab nationalism and a desire to wipe a race of people off the face of the earth who seem to be able to fight better than all of its neighbours.
Not really a documentary. More of a pro Israeli propoganda piece.

It's a point-of-view, and it's one that is worthy of being heard. The extreme aggression of pro-Palestine agitators on campus is starting to take on anti-semitic and Islamist overtones.
Original post by golden tribe
God forbid anyone speaking out of ethnic cleansing of people from their lands

You are confused. The only people calling for ethnic cleansing are Palestinians who are demanding that not one Jew be allowed to live in the Levant.

On the other hand, over a million Arabs live peacefully in Israel-proper, with voting rights, full access to the welfare system, their own schools and local governments. In fact, Israeli Arabs have more rights than any other Arabs in the mid-east.

Maybe in 60 years time palestinians will be able to use tge victIm card and take over another nation

It's hard to play the victim card when you reserve to yourself the right to provoke a more powerful entity whenever you want. Firing thousands of rockets at civilians =/= victim.

Also hard to play the victim card when you are turning a blind eye to honour killings, the murder of gay people, etc
Original post by ExcitedPup
It's a point-of-view, and it's one that is worthy of being heard. The extreme aggression of pro-Palestine agitators on campus is starting to take on anti-semitic and Islamist overtones.

Don't get me wrong. Given a choice of a westernise Israel or animal interfering Palestinian way of life, I'd promote Israel. Israel hasn't promoted suicide bombings or hijackings in the last forty years....they've also won fair fights .
Don't get me wrong. Given a choice of a westernise Israel or animal interfering Palestinian way of life, I'd promote Israel. Israel hasn't promoted suicide bombings or hijackings in the last forty years....they've also won fair fights .

I agree. Israel can hardly be blamed for the fact that the Arabs repeatedly resorted to violence, and then found to their dismay that the Israelis are bloody tough soldiers
I'll take Israel over a Hamas ruled Palestine any day.

Latest

Trending

Trending