The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 0x2a
In fact, you could even miss your A-level offer and still get in provided that you've met your STEP offer, seeing as STEP is a better indicator of ability and potential (this is what I heard on open day).

I'm planning on missing my physics grade and hopefully getting an S in III :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BioStudentx
Nope :laugh:. How hard is it?

Other then the international maths olympiad I think it's the hardest exam available in maths at our age.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8762
Original post by 0x2a
In fact, you could even miss your A-level offer and still get in provided that you've met your STEP offer, seeing as STEP is a better indicator of ability and potential (this is what I heard on open day).

I can confirm this. I know someone who missed his A-Level offer and still got in because he got S/S in STEP II/III :smile:
Original post by physicsmaths
Imperial generally give grade 2 offers in either II/III but sometimes they do give grade 1 offers but they generally lent in people with grade 2s/3s and Warwick is a solid 2 in I/II/III (obviously most take I as it's easier then the others).
So basically everyone else asks for 2.
Bear in mind quite a fair amount of people have SS and S1 offers from Cambridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh wow, that's a massive difference in difficulty... So I guess you can really tell how well you did depending on the offer they've given. What's your STEP Cambridge offer?
I'm planning on missing my physics grade and hopefully getting an S in III :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why would you plan on missing a grade?
Original post by nurav11
Oh wow, that's a massive difference in difficulty... So I guess you can really tell how well you did depending on the offer they've given. What's your STEP Cambridge offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Other then the international maths olympiad I think it's the hardest exam available in maths at our age.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nah, there are other international maths olympiads such as romanian master of mathematics and balkan maths olympiad. Team selection tests are also probably harder than STEP, although I can't really say for sure since I'm not doing II/III this year.
Original post by Renzhi10122
Nah, there are other international maths olympiads such as romanian master of mathematics and balkan maths olympiad. Team selection tests are also probably harder than STEP, although I can't really say for sure since I'm not doing II/III this year.

I think those are pretty much IMO level as the team selection tests are IMO style and of similar difficulty.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think those are pretty much IMO level as the team selection tests are IMO style and of similar difficulty.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Indeed they are, and some of the questions are usually taken from the IMO shortlist. Although the other two international competitions that I mentioned should be slightly easier than IMO, not that that makes them any easier though.
Original post by nurav11
Haha dw at least you know it shouldn't make a big difference, unless you have to apply to the 'other place' :tongue:.

I think the other place may cut me some slack if I do apply though :erm:
Indeed they are, and some of the questions are usually taken from the IMO shortlist. Although the other two international competitions that I mentioned should be slightly easier than IMO, not that that makes them any easier though.

I've looked at the Balkan and Romanian masters as I normally check the bmo site regularly. They are indeed very hard haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've looked at the Balkan and Romanian masters as I normally check the bmo site regularly. They are indeed very hard haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol, I also check it regularly, which reminds me that the IMO team will come out today. I managed to solve question 2 of this year's balkan, and then solved q1 with a bit of help from one of the guys who got 20 :wink: Have you tried q1 of the RMM?
Original post by jneill
50% of Cambridge applicants fail to meet the STEP requirement. And these are people already with v high Maths UMS. So how hard is it? Answer: very.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This just makes the idea of taking STEP next year to be even more daunting :tongue:
Imperial generally give grade 2 offers in either II/III but sometimes they do give grade 1 offers but they generally lent in people with grade 2s/3s and Warwick is a solid 2 in I/II/III (obviously most take I as it's easier then the others).
So basically everyone else asks for 2.
Bear in mind quite a fair amount of people have SS and S1 offers from Cambridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Worth noting also that getting 'at least a 2 in any STEP paper' is like an order of magnitude easier than 'get no less than a 1 in II and III'.

Particularly as boundaries are typically moved so that the 'correct' number of students achieve their offers for Cam.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol, I also check it regularly, which reminds me that the IMO team will come out today. I managed to solve question 2 of this year's balkan, and then solved q1 with a bit of help from one of the guys who got 20 :wink: Have you tried q1 of the RMM?

I managed one of the questions from last years one. But I didn't try this years. I'll give it a try today. Note: 'try' is the keyword here lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wasn't the IMO team already picked a fair while back? I know someone who goes to the school of need nanda. Kid in yr 11 who's a reserve on IMO team. Ridiculous as he was reserve last year when he was in year 10. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I managed one of the questions from last years one. But I didn't try this years. I'll give it a try today. Note: 'try' is the keyword here lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wasn't the IMO team already picked a fair while back?

Posted from TSR Mobile

q1 of this year's RMM was pretty easy tbh, not much maths involved in that. You should definitely be able to solve it.

Th IMO squad was picked after Trinity camp (the list on the website), and then today's the final day of the Tonbridge camp where they select the final team of 6, and reserves.
q1 of this year's RMM was pretty easy tbh, not much maths involved in that. You should definitely be able to solve it.

Th IMO squad was picked after Trinity camp (the list on the website), and then today's the final day of the Tonbridge camp where they select the final team of 6, and reserves.

I'll give it a try this is the co prime one right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'll give it a try this is the co prime one right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep
I'm actually looking at doing Comp Sci with Maths, so I get to take the STEP too :P This should be safe though - while I'd like to do it, apparently if I don't then some colleges (at the very least, the one I'm probably going to apply to) will let you do Comp Sci normally if you don't pass it anyway. I kind of want to sit a STEP just for the sake of it so I don't mind...

Latest

Trending

Trending