The Student Room Group

OCR GCSE History (Paper 1) 2017

The History exam is fast approaching (1st June). The two topics I'm doing are Germany and The Cold War. What is the most effective way to revise? History honestly bores me but I still want to get a good grade (B or A). Any advice?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by JoshPriceOnline
The History exam is fast approaching (1st June). The two topics I'm doing are Germany and The Cold War. What is the most effective way to revise? History honestly bores me but I still want to get a good grade (B or A). Any advice?

I'm doing the same exam but Germany and Medicine Through Time and to revise I have been doing practise questions and learning the Chronolgy off by heart. Also I have made posters for each important Individual.
Original post by JoshPriceOnline

Go through a timeline of events
the OCR board for history is OBSESSED with contextual knowledge so be FULL of CK
dont parrot fashion
UNDERSTAND the stuff like the cuban missile crisis and make sure you know the different american presidents and the russian leaders and make sure you know Germany PROPER !!!

Just do loaaddzzzzz of past paper Q's trust me itll be fine

What was ure C/A mark ???
Reply 3
Original post by AyshuPayshu
Go through a timeline of events
the OCR board for history is OBSESSED with contextual knowledge so be FULL of CK
dont parrot fashion
UNDERSTAND the stuff like the cuban missile crisis and make sure you know the different american presidents and the russian leaders and make sure you know Germany PROPER !!!

Just do loaaddzzzzz of past paper Q's trust me itll be fine

What was ure C/A mark ???

How are you memorising things? I can't seem to keep the dates in my head?
My coursework mark was 44/50 what grade is this?
Original post by Danny129

A high A. I think 45/50 is an A*.

That's an A - one mark from an A*

I look through the timeline in the textbook and make up like acronyms and stuff
everyone is different so ....... do what you do for other subjects .. sorry i don't really know how to help you memorise things
Reply 6
Original post by AyshuPayshu
That's an A - one mark from an A*

I look through the timeline in the textbook and make up like acronyms and stuff
everyone is different so ....... do what you do for other subjects .. sorry i don't really know how to help you memorise things

So close :frown: how much is the coursework worth anyway? How are you revising at the moment?
Reply 7
Original post by WhyAlwaysMe?!

Thanks how did you do in the coursework?
Thanks how did you do in the coursework?

This may seem big headed. I got 50/50.
Still don't know my coursework mark and won't find out till results day.... :angry:

I like history so it's a bit easier to remember things but I guess making links helps? Make a timeline and think 'oh yeah, the nazis only had less than 5% of the vote in 1928 cuz everything was going well - next year, it's the crash and depression starts so they start to gain in popularity.' stuff like that. i dunno, just think things through chronologically and understand why certain things happen..

I'm doing cold war and germany :smile:

No it's not at all it's really impressive well done :smile:
Original post by turn-to-page394
Still don't know my coursework mark and won't find out till results day.... :angry:

I like history so it's a bit easier to remember things but I guess making links helps? Make a timeline and think 'oh yeah, the nazis only had less than 5% of the vote in 1928 cuz everything was going well - next year, it's the crash and depression starts so they start to gain in popularity.' stuff like that. i dunno, just think things through chronologically and understand why certain things happen..

I'm doing cold war and germany :smile:

What are you doing currently to revise? Any topics you think are likely to come up?
So close :frown: how much is the coursework worth anyway? How are you revising at the moment?

the coursework is only 25% i think

and ATM im just going through and reading up on extra knowledge that will give me an upper hand so examiners see we know what we are talking about

and don't worry about that mark ... the exam will get you that A* hopefully :smile:

Good Luck
No it's not at all it's really impressive well done :smile:

Thank you. :smile: And good luck to everyone taking this exam. Hopefully you get the grade that you want!
What are you doing currently to revise? Any topics you think are likely to come up?

Currently still going through notes briefly and rereading them to jog my memory and ticking off the spec as I go...
Basically, I was an idiot who thought the half term would be enough to revise all of history from scratch (on top of all the other exams...)....

I have yet to go through past papers so I don't have any predictions though I probably will go through them once I'm done reviewing the content (if we ever get there....). I want Weimar for Germany though lol :smile: (whether it will turn up i have no clue)

Oh and I plan to 'revise'/ go over exam technique and timings as well as that's the difference between a B and an A*, once you've learnt the content, according to my teacher... My timings are terrible...

Congrats! :smile: That's really good.
Is anyone doing the USA land of freedom topic?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
guys do you have any idea or predictions about what might come up, looking at past papers and patterns?

An A* was 47/50
Reply 19
Do you guys have an idea about what might come up, like predictions?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending