The Student Room Group

Tesco - Right To Work Check

Hi all, I have been going through with a job for Tesco - I passed the interview stage and was offered a job which I happily accepted. The next day was Saturday and I was instructed to come in and hand in my documents so I could get my Right to Work check done.

The following week, Tesco had closed down 40 stores but the store I applied for was not effected and thus I rang the store to ask the progress of my application. I phoned last Friday and spoke to the manager and he said in these exact words "the nearest Tesco that closed down to us is 15 miles away and the chance of someone transferring into this store from there is highly unlikely and I am still awaiting news from the Right to Work check team"

My question is how long does a right to work check take? It has been 2 weeks today since I went into the store and handed my passport and national insurance number in yet I have not heard from them yet.

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by techgeekx
My question is how long does a right to work check take?

The 5 seconds it requires to take a look at your passport (If EU national).

Tesco may however wish to do more indepth checks. 2 weeks is too long for that though imo.
Original post by techgeekx
Hi all, I have been going through with a job for Tesco - I passed the interview stage and was offered a job which I happily accepted. The next day was Saturday and I was instructed to come in and hand in my documents so I could get my Right to Work check done.

The following week, Tesco had closed down 40 stores but the store I applied for was not effected and thus I rang the store to ask the progress of my application. I phoned last Friday and spoke to the manager and he said in these exact words "the nearest Tesco that closed down to us is 15 miles away and the chance of someone transferring into this store from there is highly unlikely and I am still awaiting news from the Right to Work check team"

My question is how long does a right to work check take? It has been 2 weeks today since I went into the store and handed my passport and national insurance number in yet I have not heard from them yet.

Thanks! :smile:

Hey, I'm waiting for mine to come back. How long did yours take?
I literally got my job at Tesco in a day.

I hadn't even got home from my interview when I got the call to say I had the job. I had my induction the next day, then worked my first shift the day after. It all happened quite quickly for me but I don't know if that is normal.

I'd be a little worried if its been 2 weeks though, would start to think that its not looking likely by then :frown:
I am Also waiting on right to work checks. I've been told there are severe backlogs at the home office.

I just don't understand why tesco so these checks as original documentation should be suffice.
Original post by blackofsic
I am Also waiting on right to work checks. I've been told there are severe backlogs at the home office.

I just don't understand why tesco so these checks as original documentation should be suffice.

Apparently tesco has been fined before and because they're a big company it's necessary for them to carry out the checks.
I know, but legally all they need to do is photocopy documents and follow a pre approved list. It must be due to their previous fines for breaching the rules.

Been 13 days so far. Hopefully not much more.
Reply 7
I havent had job confirmation yet was told i'd find out if i didnt have the job but until the right to work came through i wouldnt hear anything its two weeks from the interview this week
They told me the same thing, that they couldnt offer a position until right to work had come through. It took a whole month exactly for those checks to be completed. I have since been offered thd job and even been in to chat about different parts of the job.

But, since being offered the job, they still havent set a start date. So be prepared for a loooong process.
Am still waiting for my check . Had a one to one interview with the line manager she said I was successful and once my right to work check comes back they will give me a call for my induction. I had that interview on the 31.07.15 and today's date is 11.08.15 I have call up do money time and the phone just rings. This is not good because I was looking forward in working in tesco and getting a little extra money. Any advice on what I should do next should I just give up or give it a couple more days. Love to hear your feedback or if you have had the same thing happened to you.
Original post by marcelltopboy
Am still waiting for my check . Had a one to one interview with the line manager she said I was successful and once my right to work check comes back they will give me a call for my induction. I had that interview on the 31.07.15 and today's date is 11.08.15 I have call up do money time and the phone just rings. This is not good because I was looking forward in working in tesco and getting a little extra money. Any advice on what I should do next should I just give up or give it a couple more days. Love to hear your feedback or if you have had the same thing happened to you.

Just give up. When I apply for jobs I just fire away my application and then forget about it. If I hear back then its a bonus. Same logic goes for interviews. I will not put my life on hold waiting for a response from any ****er.
Original post by marcelltopboy

Very few places pay as well as tesco. You haven't even been waiting two weeks. If you read back you will see that the right to work checks are taking far longer than two weeks. You should wait about a month then expect a couple weeks after that to be given a date for your induction. I was one and a half months before I got started.
Still waiting to start this job at tesco it's been 5 weeks now. They gave me a call 2 weeks ago to come in again to had in my documents because the ones that came back mines wasn't there what a joke but I have been going to other interviews so let's see what happens. When I hand in my paper work they told me it will take a week I was there for like half an hour cause they fax over my documents. I don't really know what to think it's like they r too lay back not all tesco r the same cause I've worked for them last year and never went though this
Please please please tell me what you all think thanks sorry for the long writing lol
Reply 13
Hi there, i am trying to apply for a tesco job and stuck on the right to work bit. They are asking to upload documents and I want to be sure which documents i need to upload. Can anyone help me please? ASAP

Thank you
Reply 14
hi I filled the foum and send my passport copy for right for work to check it's been reviewed and now it's says application under review . now what I have to do
Original post by braian
hi I filled the foum and send my passport copy for right for work to check it's been reviewed and now it's says application under review . now what I have to do

Whatever happened? How long did it take for your right to work check to be reviewed?
How do I upload my passport upto Tesco site as I’ve done application but keeps emailing me saying about me uploading a right to work in UK document but the link just keeps taking me to the home page? Help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending