The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by randlemcmurphy
Imagine the chocolate orange has six equal pieces, you understand that as it passes over one (and you eat it) it will also pass over the opposite one and you eat that, now you move over to the "second piece" and the same thing occurs, once you move onto the "third piece", there is only one remaining, so you can't do it a fourth time as you have eaten all the pieces. To be honest, that is a better way of explaining than the picture I was trying to draw.

But HOW!! How do I eat the opposite one if I haven't gotten to it yet? I would need to go over the first 3 piece and then the other 3 on the backside to get back to where I started??? To eat the opposite one I'd need to go over the first 3 pieces and get to the opposite one on the backside to eat it? Lol I'm so sorry you have to deal with this but I still don't quite understand.... :C
Original post by sagar448
But HOW!! How do I eat the opposite one if I haven't gotten to it yet? I would need to go over the first 3 piece and then the other 3 on the backside to get back to where I started??? To eat the opposite one I'd need to go over the first 3 pieces and get to the opposite one on the backside to eat it? Lol I'm so sorry you have to deal with this but I still don't quite understand.... :C

Right, I will attempt a picture right now.. (Don't worry, it is better you understand it now :smile: )
LOL that's brilliant way of explaining it but I'm quite thick on imagining things I understand everything you typed till the point "if you eat the opposite one too, you only need to go half way around to finish it". I still don't understand :CCC I mean ok if it comes over the north pole taking photograph of strips then it passes over the equator heads towards the south pole it would need to go around to take pics of the backside wouldn't it????

PS I'm giving you a rep I love that terry's chocolate orange reference XD

You can tell I'm really ill when I'm on my phone describing satellite imaging with a terry chocolate orange

It goes from North to south, and south to North on one rotation. It does the whole strip in one go
Original post by L'Evil Fish
X

Yeah I was sick too like 2 days ago. :c
Still don't understand it though i'll just wait for the image hopefully it coms soon :tongue:

X
Yeah I was sick too like 2 days ago. :c
Still don't understand it though i'll just wait for the image hopefully it coms soon :tongue:

Did it on the computer, because I couldn't be bothered finding a pencil. Two ticks.
Did it on the computer, because I couldn't be bothered finding a pencil. Two ticks.

No worries take your time. :3

If you don't mind I have another small question after this one, I'm quite sure this one won't be hard to understand I already got the concept but just can't get the right answer. :tongue:
No worries take your time. :3

If you don't mind I have another small question after this one, I'm quite sure this one won't be hard to understand I already got the concept but just can't get the right answer. :tongue:

Hopefully this helps http://gyazo.com/308474009bbbceaa740a09ab69054966

If it does then let me know of your other question. If not I am not letting this go until you understand it!
Hopefully this helps http://gyazo.com/308474009bbbceaa740a09ab69054966

If it does then let me know of your other question. If not I am not letting this go until you understand it!

Son, you are a genius. I understand it now yeah lol I can't believe how stupid I can be sometimes.

Thanks so much bruh ;3

My next question is on the same past paper heres the link again --> http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/144792-question-paper-unit-g484-01-the-newtonian-world.pdf

The question is 5bi, I understand that pV = constant and I also did the question correctly, from the mark scheme where it says you pick two points and use them in the equation pV = constant. I did that but I don't get the same constant? It says you should get 7500 or something but I don't get that? I used 0.6,8 and 0.9, 12 for points..

Much appreciated. :biggrin:D
Son, you are a genius. I understand it now yeah lol I can't believe how stupid I can be sometimes.

Thanks so much bruh ;3

My next question is on the same past paper heres the link again --> http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/144792-question-paper-unit-g484-01-the-newtonian-world.pdf

The question is 5bi, I understand that pV = constant and I also did the question correctly, from the mark scheme where it says you pick two points and use them in the equation pV = constant. I did that but I don't get the same constant? It says you should get 7500 or something but I don't get that? I used 0.6,8 and 0.9, 12 for points..

Much appreciated. :biggrin:D

Am I glad that is sorted out :biggrin: XD
Your reasoning is correct. If you look at the x axis it is 1/V, and as we know p is directly proportional to 1/V, so this means p/(1/V) (which is pV is a constant), we are given the value for 1/V, so we need to do p/(1/V), or you could do V=1/value from graph, to work out V and then you could multiply by the pressure. I think that is where you went wrong, as if you do (0.6x10^5)/(8) and (0.9x10^5)/12 you get the same value (7500).
Am I glad that is sorted out :biggrin: XD
Your reasoning is correct. If you look at the x axis it is 1/V, and as we know p is directly proportional to 1/V, so this means p/(1/V) (which is pV is a constant), we are given the value for 1/V, so we need to do p/(1/V), or you could do V=1/value from graph, to work out V and then you could multiply by the pressure. I think that is where you went wrong, as if you do (0.6x10^5)/(8) and (0.9x10^5)/12 you get the same value (7500).

Oh that wasn't it at all, I just missed out the fact that it's to the power 5 LOL. Ahh OCR and their little twists. :3 Great thanks, silly mistakes get the best of me. :c

Thanks for the help bruh. :3
Oh that wasn't it at all, I just missed out the fact that it's to the power 5 LOL. Ahh OCR and their little twists. :3 Great thanks, silly mistakes get the best of me. :c

Thanks for the help bruh. :3

No problem, glad it is all sorted out now though :smile:
Original post by AlexParmenter
Can someone give me definitions for heat and temperature? Sometimes it asks you to differentiate between the two and I always get stuck on describing what 'heat' is... Is it just a form of energy? The amount of thermal energy an object is holding? :frown: thanks

Can anyone help me with this?
No problem, glad it is all sorted out now though :smile:

I'm confused about this question now. I appreciate the circumference of the Earth is important, but I don't get why you do the circumference divided by the width of the picture?

I thought you would do the surface area of the earth, divided by (circumference*3000)
Circumference*3000 gives the area covered in a single orbit?

In addition, surely there are many other methods of approaching this question that go unmentioned in the mark scheme?

For example,

area mapped in one second = 3000*x10^3xvelocity of satellite = 2.233741256x10^10

SA of Earth divided by this value gives 23043 seconds.

23043 seconds < 1 day hence can be mapped in less than one day.

What's wrong with this method? But I would still appreciate if you could explain the mark scheme method too please, I don't understand why dividing the circumference by 3000 is the way to go?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Struggling on ways to prepare for this exam, any help guys?:redface:
Original post by Hilton184
I'm confused about this question now. I appreciate the circumference of the Earth is important, but I don't get why you do the circumference divided by the width of the picture?

I thought you would do the surface area of the earth, divided by (circumference*3000)
Circumference*3000 gives the area covered in a single orbit?

In addition, surely there are many other methods of approaching this question that go unmentioned in the mark scheme?

For example,

area mapped in one second = 3000*x10^3xvelocity of satellite = 2.233741256x10^10

SA of Earth divided by this value gives 23043 seconds.

23043 seconds < 1 day hence can be mapped in less than one day.

What's wrong with this method? But I would still appreciate if you could explain the mark scheme method too please, I don't understand why dividing the circumference by 3000 is the way to go?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry for the late reply. I forgot last night and only just remembered. It is hard for me to think of a way to explain it, to be honest I think I would have done the method you outlined. I will leave it open for the others to explain why, because as of right now I can't think of a clear way.

EDIT: If I didn't do your method I would have done the method in the guidance section, as that makes more sense to me/ would be more logical for me.
(edited 8 years ago)
can someone explain why the contact force on the aircraft by the runway on the june 2014 paper is at an angle and why its not just straight up.
Can I see the actual diagram please, I think I might be able to help

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by James2015
can someone explain why the contact force on the aircraft by the runway on the june 2014 paper is at an angle and why its not just straight up.

We are told the aircraft is not moving, so it has to have a component to balance the weight and the force produced by the engine, hence it is at an angle.
Actually Don't worry about the picture I think it's because it's the resultant force of all the other forces acting on the aircraft

Posted from TSR Mobile
We are told the aircraft is not moving, so it has to have a component to balance the weight and the force produced by the engine, hence it is at an angle.

Original post by smariah
Actually Don't worry about the picture I think it's because it's the resultant force of all the other forces acting on the aircraft

Posted from TSR Mobile

makes sense now thanks guys

Latest

Trending

Trending