The Student Room Group

Opinions on 6 ALevels?

My friend is taking 3 sciences, maths and further maths. On top of that he is thinking of doing Polish as a 6th A Level, because he is from Poland so speaks fluent Polish!

What are people's opinions on this? Personally, this makes me slightly mad and upset!

He will end up with 6 A Levels which I think is crazy.

School is allowing him to do it since Polish will be a guaranteed good grade.

Opinions?

Scroll to see replies

I'm jealous is my opinion :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by UNDECIDEDFUTURE
My friend is taking 3 sciences, maths and further maths. On top of that he is thinking of doing Polish as a 6th A Level, because he is from Poland so speaks fluent Polish!

What are people's opinions on this? Personally, this makes me slightly mad and upset!

Opinions?

What! 6 A-levels?! Are you serious? That's a bit too much right?

My opinion? May god have mercy on his soul ImageUploadedByStudent Room1432738516.596656.jpg
Reply 3

Opinions?

I did a language a year early with no revision and got an A. Tell him to go for it because speaking a language fluently he doesn't have to do a single bit of work and he can get a free A.
As for the other A levels I'm doing the exact same, but instead of further maths this year I'm doing general studies and THEN FM next year. It's doable. If he's good at maths he'll be absolutely fine, and I find the three sciences tend to interlink so it's actually really good doing all three.
If he's capable, cheer him on!
Don't let him do it he will die of exhaustion by the end of the second term.

Opinions?

I'm not saying that doing 6 A-Levels won't be lot of work, it will be! It's probably difficult for people who do your friend's options without Polish anyway. However, I don't understand why you're "slightly mad and upset"? :lolwut: :K: They're not your options and I doubt your school would let him do 6 whilst knowing that he wouldn't do any work or wasn't 'capable' etc. :redface:
I did 5. 6 is a bit too much.
Original post by RonnieRJ
d I find the three sciences tend to interlink so it's actually really good doing all three.
If he's capable, cheer him on!

How does biology interlink with physics and chemistry lol?

(except for the 2 out of the 300 pages in the text book)
NERDDD
what's the point? Universities only ask for 3, plus further maths if the degree is maths-related
Pointless, utterly pointless.

And no matter how cocky/clever your friend is, there's no way they can pull that off. Good luck to 'em though:tongue:

I remember how invincible I felt when I was choosing my 4...

Spoiler

Reply 11

Opinions?

I did 5 and also done one of my subjects for A2. Its VERY time consuming, and its quite pointless if he is doing it to make his uni application look better, since all courses require less than 4.

its better for him to do the subjects he needs and like as it mean he'll get more time tounderstand it fully. He could perhaps do the language A-level along with 4 of his orther subject, but he should be aware that just because he speaks the language will not mean he will easily get good grade.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by IAmYourdog
How does biology interlink with physics and chemistry lol?

(except for the 2 out of the 300 pages in the text book)

Biology overlaps chemistry and chemistry overlaps physics. Simples :smile:
Original post by RonnieRJ
Biology overlaps chemistry and chemistry overlaps physics. Simples :smile:

which exam board?
Reply 14
does he have a life?
Original post by IAmYourdog
which exam board?

AQA. Off the top of my head - physics and chem share mass spectrometry, bio requires you to learn the displayed formulas for alpha and beta glucose. There are more overlaps and the sciences definitely support each other. In fact, error calculations can come up in any of the three sciences, and having done physics, where there is a lot of emphasis on those, I was usually the only one in the class to know how to calculate them.
Original post by dyslexicvegie
Don't let him do it he will die of exhaustion by the end of the second term.

Not quite true (at least not for everyone). My friend did 6, alongside a part time job. It's actually quite common to do more if one of them is further maths, and one is not a challenge (i.e. Polish).

OP, why on earth are you slightly mad and upset??? :smile:
AS or A2, or both? tbh if he's Polish, and speaks fluent Polish it's really only 5 isn't it?
I practically just about survived doing 3.. so doing double the amount is a) a huge workload and b) unnecessary as universities only ask for 3 full A levels.

Good luck to your friend for his A levels though :smile:
Reply 19
He'll manage fine I think. Especially as Polish doesn't really count as his '6th A level' as he's fluent anyway. Although, unis won't count it.

I'm fluent in Spanish and I'm taking it as an A level and the uni I've firmed have said they won't take it into consideration.

Quick Reply

Latest