The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA4 - Thursday 11th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

The mass of the container is 0.650 kg. Show that the reading of the balance, 10.0 s afterthe sand starts landing continuously in the container, will be 3.82 kg. You may assumethat the sand comes to rest without rebounding when it lands in the container.
Jun 12 Q1biii.

Can anyone help with this question please? Thanks.
Can someone please help me with question 4 (b)(i) on June 2011 PHYA4/2??

I never understand the hand rule ones, for some reason they just don't make sense!

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-PHYA4-2-W-QP-JUN11.PDF
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2022
Original post by saad97

Can anyone help with this question please? Thanks.

[br]Mass of container=0.65kg[br][br]\text{Mass of container}=0.65kg[br]

The balance will read:

[br]0.65kg+Mass of sand after 10s[br]+Mass equivalence of force due to sand falling[br][br]0.65kg + \text{Mass of sand after 10s}[br]+ \text{Mass equivalence of force due to sand falling}[br]

[br]Mass of sand after 10s=[br][br]\text{Mass of sand after 10s} = [br]

[br]0.3kgs1×10s[br][br]0.3kgs^{-1} \times 10s[br]

[br]=3.00kg[br][br]= 3.00kg[br]

[br]Mass equivalence of force due to sand falling=Force of sandg[br][br]\text{Mass equivalence of force due to sand falling} = \dfrac{\text{Force of sand}}{g}[br]

[br]=Momentum per second9.81[br][br]= \dfrac{\text{Momentum per second}}{9.81}[br]

[br]=1.689.81[br][br]= \dfrac{1.68}{9.81}[br]

[br]=0.17kg[br][br]= 0.17kg[br]

Therefore, the balance reads:

[br]0.65kg+3.00kg+0.17kg[br][br]0.65kg + 3.00kg + 0.17kg[br]

[br]=3.82kg[br][br]= 3.82kg[br]
(edited 8 years ago)
June 11 MC Q23

How do we know it INCREASES then stays the same and doesn't DECREASE then stay the same, i.e. Negative magnetic flux linkage?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2024
Original post by Adangu
Can someone please help me with question 4 (b)(i) on June 2011 PHYA4/2??

I never understand the hand rule ones, for some reason they just don't make sense!

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-PHYA4-2-W-QP-JUN11.PDF

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1432748946.964929.jpg

You want the magnetic force to be vertically upwards to keep the positive ion on its track undeflected and counter the force causing it to move downwards.

The current is in the same direction as the path of the positive ions (as it is conventional current.

Using Fleming's LHR, the field needs to be applied into the plane of the diagram for the magnetic force to act vertically upwards and the current to act in the same direction as the motion of the positive ions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2025
Original post by chughes17
June 11 MC Q23

How do we know it INCREASES then stays the same and doesn't DECREASE then stay the same, i.e. Negative magnetic flux linkage?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Think of the magnetic flux linkage as the "amount of flux" cut by N turns of a coil.

If the magnet is pushed inside the coil, the flux due to the permanent magnet is increasingly cut by more and more turns of the coil, increasing the flux linkage.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Think of the magnetic flux linkage as the "amount of flux" cut by N turns of a coil.

If the magnet is pushed inside the coil, the flux due to the permanent magnet is increasingly cut by more and more turns of the coil, increasing the flux linkage.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So if North went in first then it'd still be an increase? Also, in which case how can there ever be negative flux linkage? Is that strictly only for rotating coils?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1432748946.964929.jpg

You want the magnetic force to be vertically upwards to keep the positive ion on its track undeflected and counter the force causing it to move downwards.

The current is in the same direction as the path of the positive ions (as it is conventional current.

Using Fleming's LHR, the field needs to be applied into the plane of the diagram for the magnetic force to act vertically upwards and the current to act in the same direction as the motion of the positive ions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You my friend are an absolute lifesaver! I didn't understand the question properly but, the way you answered it made it so simple. I didn't realise I was trying to stop the deflection!

Wish you were my teacher mate, really do. Teachers in my school aren't the best.
Reply 2028
Original post by chughes17
So if North went in first then it'd still be an increase? Also, in which case how can there ever be negative flux linkage? Is that strictly only for rotating coils?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

I believe there would still be an increase, yes, because more and more turns of the coil are still cutting flux likes of the magnet.

Negative flux linkage refers only to the orientation of a rotating coil.

In theory, and strictly, the magnitude of the flux linkage is always positive for a rotating coil in a magnetic field of a permanent magnet (BANcosθBAN \cos \theta), where theta is the angle between the normal of the coil face and the field lines.

However, you sometimes see magnetic flux being written as negative to show the conventions of a sinusoidal variation in the coil's rotations.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2029
Original post by Adangu
You my friend are an absolute lifesaver! I didn't understand the question properly but, the way you answered it made it so simple. I didn't realise I was trying to stop the deflection!

Wish you were my teacher mate, really do. Teachers in my school aren't the best.

No worries! Glad you found it helpful :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
For some reason can't do this multichoice, can someone help?

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1432751320.649840.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2031
Original post by Jimmy20002012
For some reason can't do this multichoice, can someone help?

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1432751320.649840.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

[br]E=ΔVΔd[br][br]E = \dfrac{\Delta V}{\Delta d}[br]

[br]E=30200.5[br][br]E = \dfrac{30 - 20}{0.5}[br]

[br]E=20Vm1[br][br]E = 20 Vm^{-1}[br]

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
[br]E=ΔVΔd[br][br]E = \dfrac{\Delta V}{\Delta d}[br]

[br]E=30200.5[br][br]E = \dfrac{30 - 20}{0.5}[br]

[br]E=20Vm1[br][br]E = 20 Vm^{-1}[br]

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ohhhh. Though you could only use that equation it is in a uniform field, isn't this a radial field?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ohhhh. Though you could only use that equation it is in a uniform field, isn't this a radial field?

Posted from TSR Mobile

This isn't a radial field as E would be inversely proportional to r^2.

It is also a straight line and can be said to be uniform.
Original post by Adangu

Ahh okay, thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Adangu

I am pretty sure this is a similar question. Why in the do they use the electric field strength equation for a radial field, part bii, ImageUploadedByStudent Room1432754720.594658.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1432754729.885328.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2036
I am pretty sure this is a similar question. Why in the do they use the electric field strength equation for a radial field, part bii, ImageUploadedByStudent Room1432754720.594658.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1432754729.885328.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

In the MC question, the giveaway is that the same increase in potential ΔV\Delta V is observed over equal distances Δd\Delta d.

:smile:

In the written question there is no indication that the potential difference is equal over equal intervals.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
In the MC question, the giveaway is that the same increase in potential ΔV\Delta V is observed over equal distances Δd\Delta d.

:smile:

In the written question there is no indication that the potential difference is equal over equal intervals.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So if the potential are equal, uniform field if not stated or not equal radial field right!?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2038
So if the potential are equal, uniform field if not stated or not equal radial field right!?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If an equal potential differences are observed over equal distance intervals the field is uniform.

I would make the assumption that when dealing with point charges, unless otherwise stated or indicated on a diagram, the field is radial.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Using flemings left hand rule, am i right in thinking the current finger is always in the direction of current, so for example if an electron is going right in a magnetic field, the conventional current and therefore my 2nd finger would be pointing left.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending