The Student Room Group

Are anti-feminists sexist beasts or just stupid?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mark8346
Well your argument is wrong. You can't simply take a movement that focuses on the issues of one group on the planet, and then decide "my favorite movement feminism is for equality, thus all movements that attempt to deal with rights issues are feminist! You want equality don't you? Then you're a feminist!!".

Feminism focuses on the female issues only. You are pretending that feminism means the same thing as egalitarianism so you can award it with as much credit as possible.

I've already pointed out it doesn't just focus on the issues of "one group on the planet". I've also pointed out why it's biased towards women, the equality for all is rooted in the fact that men and women are not currently equal in many walks of life.

Okay fam.
Why do people simply not understand what definitions are. They're axioms, why the **** do people think they have some kind of causal influence. Feminists are so ****ing stupid.
Original post by blackened_sky
I've already pointed out it doesn't just focus on the issues of "one group on the planet".
You have claimed that it doesn't only focus on the issues of one group, but you have not proven it.

Attempting to award feminism with the credit for LGBT rights progress is certainly not evidence.
You have claimed that it doesn't only focus on the issues of one group, but you have not proven it.

Attempting to award feminism with the credit for LGBT rights progress is certainly not evidence.

I haven't said that either. You're twisting my words and not reading my posts properly.

Too stubborn to reason with.
Original post by KingStannis
Feminists are so ****ing stupid.

Christ.
The vast majority of people who aren't feminists haven't even heard the stuff the radical feminists say. It's the moderat voice of feminism which is still deeply sexist and misandrous, and having it shoved down out throats 24/7 and being told it's "equality" is not necessarily persuasive for the critical thinker.
Christ.

Nice argument. Do you want to explain how exactly that a definition is written in a book and THEREFORE the concept it refers to aligns with it?
Nice argument. Do you want to explain how exactly that a definition is written in a book and THEREFORE the concept it refers to aligns with it?

It was a comment, not an argument. I haven't even mentioned definitions mate.
You are incredibly disingenuous. That is not your initial position. Your initial position was that men have no issues. Then when confronted you flip flopped without conceding you were wrong on that particular point, while pretending the above was what you said all along.
You got your point across. It was just wrong. You invent nonsense claims such as me accusing you of hating men (something I never said) as a shield against having to answer anything I asked you.
I never expected you to do anything other than ignore people you disagree with.

Yes compared to the numerous female issues they dont have any now do they? And why would I change my views just because some next person on a forum confronted me about them? No babes no

Nonsense claims? The whole time youve been trying to prove to me how I ignore the issues men have and etc and quite frankly i cant be arsed with your ****ty arguments anymore. You havent asked me anything babes so now please stop quoting me with your ****ty mindset Im really done with you :smile:
Reply 89

I think there's a big problem with some feminists obsessing over trivial issues, such as catcalling, when there is a much bigger need for action to be taken on problems that are experienced by women and girls in areas like the middle east, where they are raped and then stoned to death for *daring* to be raped.

Or gang-rapes in England.
It was a comment, not an argument. I haven't even mentioned definitions mate.

Well why comment on a post making that point then.
Well why comment on a post making that point then.

:yawn:
Feminism is not misandry bigot.
Original post by ngb9320
Or maybe even both.

Anti-feminists generally consist of men who don't really understand what feminism is. There are some feminists who genuinely hate men, and are rather misandrists than feminists. Men seem to see these misandrists as representative of the entire feminist population and so hurl hate at all feminists. I think if you discard the misandrists from feminism, you'll discard the idiotic men in the process too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
A bit of both
[video="youtube;0diJNybk0Mw"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0diJNybk0Mw[/video]
Reply 96
Original post by ngb9320
Or maybe even both.

I'd say about 90% of people I know are anti-feminist.

I'd say 50% of those genuinely sexist, 50% just sheep.

I know girls who are the embodiment of feminism: independent-minded, strong, intelligent, decent, loving, compassionate women, who, to my utter horror are adamant that they are not feminists.

I ask them what's wrong with feminism and they spout the usual cliche of stuff you hear in the media.

Interestingly, out of a group situation, they are much more eager to learn about what feminism is and much less averse to it.

One even told me in private that I'd made her realise that there was nothing radical about feminism and she did want equality. She wouldn't say this in public though.

Why is society against it?

Media and corporations.

Why are they against it?

Sexism sells, basically.

Murdoch et al have no motive to stop pushing sexist ideas and demonising feminism and people go along with culture and society (they'll still happily take female labour in industry though).

50% of anti-feminists hold genuinely sexist views, and mostly due to family conditioning - you aren't able to change their minds.

Just hopefully the world will progress (instead of us all being doomed - it could go either way atm) and education will progress and if things do then I'd say we're looking for about 100 years of further progress for the majority of people to accept women as equal.
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Anti-feminists generally consist of men who don't really understand what feminism is. There are some feminists who genuinely hate men, and are rather misandrists than feminists. Men seem to see these misandrists as representative of the entire feminist population and so hurl hate at all feminists. I think if you discard the misandrists from feminism, you'll discard the idiotic men in the process too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This person gets it entirely. It's all to do with the misconception of what feminism actually is. This is why I always try to associate the movement with egalitarianism when I'm discussing it.
Original post by Elastichedgehog
This person gets it entirely. It's all to do with the misconception of what feminism actually is. This is why I always try to associate the movement with egalitarianism when I'm discussing it.

Yes maaaate (again)
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Yes maaaate (again)

Ayyyy you remember

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending