The Student Room Group

Stimulating podcasts?

I've just started working the most mind-numbing job imaginable and would like something to listen to throughout the day as a means of preserving my sanity. Any subject is good- science, philosophy, history, etc.
Any suggestions?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I would highly recommend 'No Such Thing As A Fish' - free on ITunes. Check it out, pretty much covers every subjects and is immensely interesting, will definitely have you laughing to yourself uncontrollably. Provided you remember 25% of the things discussed, you will literally become the most interesting person to talk to ever.
(edited 8 years ago)
‘Serial’ is a good podcast, it follows a re-investigationof a real life murder case. I think it became the most downloaded podcast everlast year. I’d really recommend it.
Reply 3
Startalk is good, mostly astrophysics and astronomy although they sometimes talk about other things, pretty funny too! Neil Degrasse Tyson is such a legend.

http://www.startalkradio.net/#
I like the "BBC Documentary" podcasts from on the iTunes store, usually for the world service they are pretty varied, one could be about aid workers in Pakistan, the next about a nightclub in Africa.

Also the Channel 4 Unreported World podcast is very good. If you want something longer Dan Carlin's Hardcore History ones are really good and interesting.

I'm currently looking for a podcast with good coverage of US politics but haven't found one yet.
EDIT: 2016 by TBD seems to be pretty decent so far.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by RobML
I've just started working the most mind-numbing job imaginable and would like something to listen to throughout the day as a means of preserving my sanity. Any subject is good- science, philosophy, history, etc.
Any suggestions?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you ever listened to 'Serial'?
Rhod Gilberts on BBC Radio Wales... The podcast is all the best bits. Hilarious!
Bill Whittle.
Original post by Queen Cersei
Have you ever listened to 'Serial'?

That's what I said! But it deserves a second mention... maybe the best podcast I've ever listened to. I'm looking forward to season 2.
Serious post. Stefan, a youtuber who talks about society. From Michael Brown, to feminism.
Below is his latest on the topic of 'male privilege'. He is a very clever and funny lad.

Peter David Schiff is an American financial analyst. He has loads of videos.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
Somethin from howstuffworks.com ? So like "stuff you should know" or "stuff you missed in history class". Or even podcasts that go with magazines like BBC history extra podcast. They're bot bad
Reply 11
If you speak only english

- LSE podcasts

- BBC Arts & Ideas

- BBC World War I

- Grantland Pop Culture

- Military News Talk

- State of Human
Savage Love is quite stimulating. :cookie:
download Dan Carlin's Hardcore history, you won't regret it. If you enjoy history you will love it. I especially enjoyed his multi part series about the fall of the roman republic(death throes of the republic) the eastern front in the second world war (ghosts of the ostfront) and the rise and fall of the mongols(wrath of the khans)..

Also radiolab explores a tonne of interesting and varied subjects of all sorts. ted radio hour is similar and also excellent.
'The Infinite Monkey Cage' is good if you want something that's accessible and funny, as well as interesting.
Cannot recommend the Hello Internet podcast enough.

http://www.hellointernet.fm/
Desert Island Discs from BBC Radio 4 is always a good listen. You get to hear all about the guests' background and also some bits of music. The guests are from a wide range of backgrounds and professions such as scientists, dancers, comedians, writers, politicians.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lucy_crave
That's what I said! But it deserves a second mention... maybe the best podcast I've ever listened to. I'm looking forward to season 2.

Ohhhh I didn't know there was going to be a season 2! :eek:
Original post by Queen Cersei
Ohhhh I didn't know there was going to be a season 2! :eek:

Yep, later this year I think (and hope!).

Quick Reply

Latest