The Student Room Group

The Proof is Trivial!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rayquaza17
I would say 0 is in the set of non-negative integers.

But Wolfram Alpha disagrees with what they define as the non-negative integers: http://mathworld.wolfram.com/NonnegativeInteger.html

0 is a non-negative integer. And Wolfram Alpha agrees with that...
Original post by demigawdz
im so aweful at maths i cannot even do this one.
lemme guess its probably an easy one

Well, I found it pretty easy tbh, but don't think you're awful because you can't do it. How much BMO have you done before?

Hint:

Spoiler

Original post by Renzhi10122
In the question, I guess its the set of non-negative integers then.

It probably doesn't matter which definition you take, although I can do the question if you want to know.
Original post by TheMagicMan
It probably doesn't matter which definition you take, although I can do the question if you want to know.

If it doesn't take too long then thanks. Is there only one answer (just want to check)? Also, I wasn't the one who needed help with this one.
Well, I found it pretty easy tbh, but don't think you're awful because you can't do it. How much BMO have you done before?

Hint:

Spoiler

quite a few questions but i was stumped by the 0 thingy.
if i considered it for example where it shouldngt be then i was gonna be horribly wrong from the get go (i worried)
But apparantly not from your hint.

BTw- I worked out when n=0,1 m=0,1 and when n=m=0,1
0 is a non-negative integer. And Wolfram Alpha agrees with that...

Yeah but the BMO thing was saying Z+ is the non-negative integers when that's the positive integers

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rayquaza17
Yeah but the BMO thing was saying Z+ is the non-negative integers when that's the positive integers

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah I see the confusion now. i would say that as the words used are 'the non-negative integers' you should include zero, especially considering the obvious way to solve the problems involves using zero, although there are certainly other methods that don't need it.
yeah I see the confusion now. i would say that as the words used are 'the non-negative integers' you should include zero, especially considering the obvious way to solve the problems involves using zero, although there are certainly other methods that don't need it.

plz share these other methods
quite a few questions but i was stumped by the 0 thingy.
if i considered it for example where it shouldngt be then i was gonna be horribly wrong from the get go (i worried)
But apparantly not from your hint.

BTw- I worked out when n=0,1 m=0,1 and when n=m=0,1

Sorry, I don't understand the last line?
plz share these other methods

For example

Spoiler

OR

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Sorry, I don't understand the last line?

i put the values when n=0 and when n=1 into the functional eqns.
likewise for m.
likewise for when n=m (for when either ='s 1 or o)
In retrospect all those particular solutions seemingly made it hard to see what was going on lol
i put the values when n=0 and when n=1 into the functional eqns.
likewise for m.
likewise for when n=m (for when either ='s 1 or o)
In retrospect all those particular solutions seemingly made it hard to see what was going on lol

From doing n=m=0, you should be able to just compete the question. You should get

Spoiler

I read this book a while ago, and found it pretty decent.
Original post by Lord of the Flies
I read this book a while ago, and found it pretty decent.

thanks, does it have quite a lot of maths in it though????
the preview only shows history of functional eqns lol
Thanks, does it have quite a lot of maths in it though?

Have a look at the table of contents - everything page 26 onwards is maths.
Have a look at the table of contents - everything page 26 onwards is maths.

Is it similar to the BMO handbooks?
Is it similar to the BMO handbooks?

No clue. Naturally, it contains quite a few IMO/Putnam problems though.
No clue. Naturally, it contains quite a few IMO/Putnam problems though.

but is it worth forking out like £33 for it though?
Groups A and B have the same order and have the same number of subgroups, are they necessarily isomorphic? If this is true, can I use it in an A-Level MEI FP3 answer without explaining it?
I came across a past paper question asking me to explain why all groups of order 5 are always isomorphic to eachother. The first thing I wrote down was "5 is a prime number so by Lagrange's Theorem, the only subgroups it can have is itself and a group only containing its identity"

So the second part of my answer is "So all order 5 groups have the same number of subgroups, therefore all of them are isomorphic to eachother". But I am not sure if this is correct.
Original post by Primus2x
Groups A and B have the same order and have the same number of subgroups, are they necessarily isomorphic? If this is true, can I use it in an A-Level MEI FP3 answer without explaining it?
I came across a past paper question asking me to explain why all groups of order 5 are always isomorphic to eachother. The first thing I wrote down was "5 is a prime number so by Lagrange's Theorem, the only subgroups it can have is itself and a group only containing its identity"

So the second part of my answer is "So all order 5 groups have the same number of subgroups, therefore all of them are isomorphic to eachother". But I am not sure if this is correct.

There are groups satisfying that property but to my knowledge there are no elementary counterexamples.

Some research has led me to the fact that the modular group order 16 and C2×C8C_2 \times C_8 is a counterexample. (http://www.opensourcemath.org/gap/small_groups.html)

You should never have to resort to such a theorem in A-level though.

One final thought that occurred to me about order 16 groups. There are 14 non-isomorphic groups order 16, and each of these groups can have at most 10 subgroups (itself, the 5 groups order 8, the 2 groups order 4, the 1 group order 2 and the one group order 1) so of course order 16 will contain a counterexample to your proposition! Indeed there are 51 groups order 32 so there will be an order 32 counterexample too. And so on.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply