The Student Room Group

AQA English Language AS Level 2015 2nd June

Hi all, just thought I'd make this thread as one hasn't been made yet (I think). It's just to chat and help each other with the AQA English Language AS Level exam on the 2nd of June. I know it's quite a while away but the earlier revision starts, the better! Anyway, feel free to chat and ask me any questions if you like? Haha I have been getting A/Bs throughout the year so I guess I could help if you need any. Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

I think you just need to know your stuff ... and simply get it haha just hoping for something cheerful or extremely dramatic to read rather than something neutral. The more features the better.
Although I pick wayyyyy too many features and can't stop myself haha
Reply 3
I'm quite happy with gender and power. It's the grouping task I'm dreading. I managed to get an A in the last one we did, but I think it's so unpredictable!
Does anyone have any essays they've wrote they can send me to read through? For the part B. Thanks in advance and good luck
What theory would I use for semantic/lexical development I.e nativist/behaviourist/cognitive/behavioural and how? 😩
Reply 6
Original post by keeleynicole95
Does anyone have any essays they've wrote they can send me to read through? For the part B. Thanks in advance and good luck

Hi sorry for the late reply, I think I have a few I could send: technology, power or gender? Unfortunately I have non for power, sorry.
Reply 7
Original post by patricio_miguel
What theory would I use for semantic/lexical development I.e nativist/behaviourist/cognitive/behavioural and how? 😩

I'm not sure - at my school we don't do theories for linguistic terms and I don't think you necessarily need them. You just have to make sure that when you make your point (e.g. Text A uses semantic field) make sure you back it up with evidence such as quotes as not doing so won't gain you any marks. You can use theorists (e.g. David Crystal) yet these are mainly for Part B and not needed in Part A :smile:
Reply 8
Although I pick wayyyyy too many features and can't stop myself haha

This is a good thing! Unfortunately I have to work on including more! I have read many almost full mark responses which all contain lots and lots of linguistic features so don't worry :smile: Just make sure you back up with evidence/quotes!
How would you answer the question : "how does child's semantic & lexical understanding develop as it grows older"?
Reply 10
How would you answer the question : "how does child's semantic & lexical understanding develop as it grows older"?

Are you doing A Level or AS Level? Sorry, I just don't think you're doing the same as me as my questions are completely different...
Hey guys,

this is only exam am crying over - so scared - i don't know what to do - ive done no revision for it
What the best option from here? i got a B in coursework without much effort
My exam is same day as chem 2 - giving chem 2 more priority but i still want a decent grade in this as level as am dropping this next year - so any advice? i have text book packs , and some sheets given by teacher - what shall i do ? i need a minimum C
Reply 12
Original post by ahsan_ijaz
Hey guys,

this is only exam am crying over - so scared - i don't know what to do - ive done no revision for it
What the best option from here? i got a B in coursework without much effort
My exam is same day as chem 2 - giving chem 2 more priority but i still want a decent grade in this as level as am dropping this next year - so any advice? i have text book packs , and some sheets given by teacher - what shall i do ? i need a minimum C

Hi, the good thing about English Language is that if you did it at GCSE you already have a nice head start! I understand you wanting to focus more on chemistry as it is considered a harder subject. If I were in your position I would: 1. Write up a list of definition for key terms you need (e.g. linguistic devices) making sure you know your groupings too (audience etc.) and then read this every so often and a few nights before you go to bed, even take this with you to read on a journey! 2. Go through past essays you have done and note down what areas you need to improve from feedback from teachers; highlight this and even stick it up on your wall for a reminder! 3. Write a list of the theorists you need for section B and make sure you know 5-6 of these and what they said so you can include this in your answer and lastly 4. Read exemplar essays and take notes of what they did well which you can include in your own work as well as reading examiners' reports, mark schemes and the AOs.
I hope this helps- remember a lot of revision for English Language involves memorising key terms/linguistic devices and knowing your AOs and exam technique :smile:
Original post by leahnesbit
Hi all, just thought I'd make this thread as one hasn't been made yet (I think). It's just to chat and help each other with the AQA English Language AS Level exam on the 2nd of June. I know it's quite a while away but the earlier revision starts, the better! Anyway, feel free to chat and ask me any questions if you like? Haha I have been getting A/Bs throughout the year so I guess I could help if you need any. Thanks!

You shoudl change the title of this so people know whether you're talking about AQA A (Language and Mode/Child Language Acquisition) or AQA B (Categorising Texts).
Original post by leahnesbit
Hi, the good thing about English Language is that if you did it at GCSE you already have a nice head start! I understand you wanting to focus more on chemistry as it is considered a harder subject. If I were in your position I would: 1. Write up a list of definition for key terms you need (e.g. linguistic devices) making sure you know your groupings too (audience etc.) and then read this every so often and a few nights before you go to bed, even take this with you to read on a journey! 2. Go through past essays you have done and note down what areas you need to improve from feedback from teachers; highlight this and even stick it up on your wall for a reminder! 3. Write a list of the theorists you need for section B and make sure you know 5-6 of these and what they said so you can include this in your answer and lastly 4. Read exemplar essays and take notes of what they did well which you can include in your own work as well as reading examiners' reports, mark schemes and the AOs.
I hope this helps- remember a lot of revision for English Language involves memorising key terms/linguistic devices and knowing your AOs and exam technique :smile:

thanks ill give it a go - i dont think it will help me much as am so far behind
Got D on my section B essay in class
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
You shoudl change the title of this so people know whether you're talking about AQA A (Language and Mode/Child Language Acquisition) or AQA B (Categorising Texts).

Yeah I noticed its B 😭 I'm doing A 😩😩😩
Reply 16
Should we not have two threads - one for B and one for A?
Anyone have any full mark exemplar essays or have a link? Thanks
You could make one for AQA A spec? :smile:
Does anyone have the 2012 papers and 2014 paper for AQA? As the ones on the AQA website are missing sources due to copyright which is really annoying haha

This for English Language B btw

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending