The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xDave-
This is painful to read! I've been really enjoying UBW lately and I thought episode 20 was one of the best so far. I enjoy the chats about ideals a lot; the clash of personalities and outlooks is what I like so much about the Fate series. I know Fate Zero had a much better cast - though I think UBW's cast is great but we've just been stuck with Shirou and Rin - but the chats about ideals were endless. I'm surprised you guys rate it highly if you don't like that.

I have been enjoying this season, I just wish some of the earlier fights in the series were longer, but this particular fight has really been dragged out without much actual fighting. I don't mind the chat about ideals and there are some cool scenes but it feels like they just keep saying the same thing over and over now.
Original post by xDave-
This is painful to read! I've been really enjoying UBW lately and I thought episode 20 was one of the best so far. I enjoy the chats about ideals a lot; the clash of personalities and outlooks is what I like so much about the Fate series. I know Fate Zero had a much better cast - though I think UBW's cast is great but we've just been stuck with Shirou and Rin - but the chats about ideals were endless. I'm surprised you guys rate it highly if you don't like that.

Like I said, it was better than last week's episode - more interesting dialogue, more plot developments, and a bit more action. It's better than the first half, which left me on the fence as to whether to continue with it or not.

I rate it fairly highly, largely for the production values, but there's far more this season that I'm more interested in. :dontknow:
Reply 9142
Plenty of discussion surrounding FSN UBW here. If I were to put my two pennies worth, I'm not adverse to the scenes with a lot of dialogue, especially when you factor that I've already played through the UBW route and watched the film, so any extra snippets of information they decide to add in this adaptation can only be appreciated. It helps that I'm something of a fan of the Fate series and much of what Type Moon does, so I definitely have a bias. Moreover, ufotable are producing some of the finest animation in the industry right now. There's no doubting the quality of the production all round and this only helps to enhance the experience for me, even if it's just a few characters standing in a room. That said, I can understand fully where everyone else is coming from and that more of a balance between the dialogue and the action would have been better.

On another note, episode 8 of Hibike! Euphonium was really enjoyable. This is easily becoming one of the best KyoAni series I've seen for a long long time. :yes:
UBW is just a fighting shonen with generic characters and no hint of decent writing and story telling. The directing is mediocre too. The show breaks the "show, don't tell" rule every few minutes and dumps us with wordy exposition about things we either already know or don't care about, even though that "unlimited budget" could have been used to provide information through the visuals. Instead, they went for pretty colours with no substance to awe the fans. MC is a typical shonen lead with no interesting traits and the girls are just there for fanservice, especially Saber.

The fights would be the good part but even they get interrupted by dialogue all the time. The Illya fight in episode 15 was expecially cringe-worthy.

Spoiler

That is appalling writing.

I guess I'll give credit to the nice special effects and backgrounds though.
Just finished Ghost in the Shell : Stand Alone Complex, it absolutely blows the movie out of the water for me. I found all the Catcher in the Rye references pretty interesting. I've started Higurashi now, it's very gripping so far so I'm excited to see more.
Original post by EdwardElric
Just finished Ghost in the Shell : Stand Alone Complex, it absolutely blows the movie out of the water for me. I found all the Catcher in the Rye references pretty interesting. I've started Higurashi now, it's very gripping so far so I'm excited to see more.

IMO HIgurashi is one of the few good horror anime out there. I think second season is a worse in some ways but overall I think you're in for a good mystery.
Original post by Pinkhead
IMO HIgurashi is one of the few good horror anime out there. I think second season is a worse in some ways but overall I think you're in for a good mystery.

I'm 6 episodes in now and I'm really enjoying it. It has a pretty bizzare storyline though, I just hope that it doesn't become too repetitive for me.
I preferred the sequel for Higurashi, personally - the first series had the shock factor, but it was nice to finally find out in Higurashi Kai exactly what was going on!

I found Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei a bit weak, though... Kaku Outbreak was painfully bad, and I've put off watching Kira since apparently it's the worst of the lot. Studio DEEN over-milking one of their more successful franchises, most probably. :s:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by AngryJellyfish
I preferred the sequel for Higurashi, personally - the first series had the shock factor, but it was nice to finally find out in Higurashi Kai exactly what was going on!

I found Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei a bit weak, though... Kaku Outbreak was painfully bad, and I've put off watching Kira since apparently it's the worst of the lot. Studio DEEN over-milking one of their more successful franchises, most probably. :s:

I thought Kai was a let down compared to S1 because almost 90% of the show was someone outright telling you the exact answer. It's like they read the VN (hint: it's really, really, really long) and thought "hmm.. how do we let the viewer know all of these 1 million words worth of information about the plot? I know! Let's literally just narrate it to them!". The fun of a murder mystery isn't in just having the answer given to you. I'd rather be kept in the shadows in that case.

It ruined the mysterious atmosphere and just became an audiobook. The sense of paranoia is just gone and you get an exposition dump. To make matters worse the animation in both seasons is terrible so while we're getting this narration, all we see is poor art and moving mouths.

Anyway, that's just what I thought of it. I guess I never understood why people rank S2 over S1.
Any recommendations on romcom anime/manga will be much appreciated! (preferably new because i think i've seen/read all the older well-known ones) Thankyou! :biggrin:
Original post by Mysterious M
Any recommendations on romcom anime/manga will be much appreciated! (preferably new because i think i've seen/read all the older well-known ones) Thankyou! :biggrin:

Which have you seen? It would help us see what sort of things you prefer.
Which have you seen? It would help us see what sort of things you prefer.

The list in long but i just posted some suggestions in another forum so ill copy and paste them:
----Off the top of my head romcom wise
:Kaichou wa maid sama - love love love
Special A - love it
Itzura na kiss
Vampire knight- i loved it -- 2 seasons
The familiar of zero - i liked this
clannad - this is sad i think so warning there - quite a few seasons tho
code gease
kimi ni todoke - again its good but not a personal favourite
full metal - panic? forgot :P
skip bea
tBaka and test
Amnesia (this annoyed me)
Inu x boku SS (kinda liked this like a guard and girl thing)
my little monster
Kamisama hajime ma****e
Sakurasou na pet na kanojo
Fruits Basket ( i really dont know why so many people liked this it wasnt as great as i thought itd be) - same with > Ouran highschool (club) i think
Peach Girl
Kodocha (this is like old quality and younger kids so idk if you'll like it)
Yumeiro pattisiere (food + romcom)
nodame cantabile
tora dora - its alright, i personally thought it couldve been better
school rumble
golden time
lovely complex
Hayate the combat butler - i think i liked this
Zero no tsukaima
Sword Art Online (SAO) - a new season aired this year or last year i think XD
bokura ga ita
Nisekoi
Ao haru ride
inuyasha (old quality)
Theres this good one about a knight and like a woman who can see elfs and magic (i think shes like the last witch or something) I cant remember the name but it was good -.- ill ask my sister when she comes home, she liked it also:P
Random one thats not romcom: death note, my brother loved it

-----my favourite being the top 2, manga wise dont worry im too lazy to list some :P
-but quite a few of these are mangas also - so something like dengeki daisy will do

I don't like ones where they die (RomeXJuliet - i was stupid and hoped they wouldn't die despite being aware of the typical story line) or where they lose their memory

Thanks again :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Mysterious M

-----my favourite being the top 2, manga wise dont worry im too lazy to list some :PThanks again :smile:

You should get a MyAnimeList (or other website) account. It really helps keep things neat and easy to track.

Anyway, you've watched a lot of the popular romcoms so it's a bit hard to suggest new ones. I'll try though:

Yahari Ore No Seishun Love Come Wa Machigatteiru
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki Kun
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun
The World God Only Knows (this has a lot of seasons and IMO gets better in the final season)
Sora no Manimani
The Devil is a Part Timer
Honey and Clover
Kimikiss pure rouge
Amagami SS
Hatsukoi Limited
Ookami-san to Shichinin no Nakama-tachi
Arakawa under the bridge
Acchi Kocchi
Love lab
Mikakunin de Shinkoukei
Tamako Market movie
Servant x Service

They aren't all great but they're probably the best ones you'll find. The ones near the top are more recent.

BTW if you like Kaichou wa maid sama anime, you'll probably like the manga a lot more since it actually gets somewhere with the relationship.
(edited 8 years ago)
You should get a MyAnimeList (or other website) account. It really helps keep things neat and easy to track.

Anyway, you've watched a lot of the popular romcoms so it's a bit hard to suggest new ones. I'll try though:

Yahari Ore No Seishun Love Come Wa Machigatteiru
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki Kun
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun
The World God Only Knows (this has a lot of seasons and IMO gets better in the final season)
Sora no Manimani
The Devil is a Part Timer
Honey and Clover
Kimikiss pure rouge
Amagami SS
Hatsukoi Limited
Ookami-san to Shichinin no Nakama-tachi
Arakawa under the bridge
Acchi Kocchi
Love lab
Mikakunin de Shinkoukei
Tamako Market movie
Servant x Service

They aren't all great but they're probably the best ones you'll find. The ones near the top are more recent.

BTW if you like Kaichou wa maid sama anime, you'll probably like the manga a lot more since it actually gets somewhere with the relationship.

I've watched a few of those :P But thankyou i will definitely check out the ones i havent! Yeah i was thinking about making and account but laziness got to me, i think i might tho it really does seem to help :smile:

Thanks for the recommendations :smile: I have read the mangas of all the animes that have mangas (that i have watched) so yeah I know how it goes but seriously, thankyou, i appreciate it and will watch the ones you've said !:biggrin:
I thought Kai was a let down compared to S1 because almost 90% of the show was someone outright telling you the exact answer. It's like they read the VN (hint: it's really, really, really long) and thought "hmm.. how do we let the viewer know all of these 1 million words worth of information about the plot? I know! Let's literally just narrate it to them!". The fun of a murder mystery isn't in just having the answer given to you. I'd rather be kept in the shadows in that case.

It ruined the mysterious atmosphere and just became an audiobook. The sense of paranoia is just gone and you get an exposition dump. To make matters worse the animation in both seasons is terrible so while we're getting this narration, all we see is poor art and moving mouths.

Anyway, that's just what I thought of it. I guess I never understood why people rank S2 over S1.

Spoilers for Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai:

Just my opinion though, as someone who hasn't read the visual novel, and generally dislikes questions going unanswered. :p:
Original post by AngryJellyfish

Higurashi Kira is pretty bad, not worth wasting your time with it. It's just fan service and slice of life with higurashi characters, a complete contrast to the original series.
Currently I'm watching Monster which, so far, is fantastic! Some genuinely great writing.

Johan looks to be one of my fav villains in anime :biggrin:, kinda reminds me of Makishima Shogo from psycho pass.

Speaking of psycho pass, was season 2 any good? I only watched 3 eps and it didn't seem that great, and apparently it's nowhere near the greatness of season 1.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Omar717
Currently I'm watching Monster which, so far, is fantastic! Some genuinely great writing.

Johan looks to be one of my fav villains in anime :biggrin:, kinda reminds me of Makishima Shogo from psycho pass.

Speaking of psycho pass, was season 2 any good? I only watched 3 eps and it didn't seem that great, and apparently it's nowhere near the greatness of season 1.

I love Johan he's such a good villian and he's not like a normal villian in anime his character is so complex, he is by far one of my fav villians in anime

Season 2 of psycho pass was ok not as good as season 1 do but you should still watch it anyway do, its great
Original post by Omar717

Monster is fantastic - really strong writing and brilliantly realised characters. Definitely a worthwhile watch.

Forget the second season of Psycho-Pass exists - it really was a disappointment of mammoth proportions! The new writing team just didn't really get what made the first season so good, and we ended up with an absolute mess of a series.
Anime-Planet just announced an overhaul of its formerly woeful LGBT+ tags, so I'm busy suggesting changes for various characters in their database. If anyone knows of any characters that should have been edited but haven't been, feel free to let me know and I'll pass on the request (or better still, request them yourselves if you have a forum account). :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending