The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by emilys7
Hi, I do HL Economics and in all honesty three isn't really much maths at all and when there is, it's really simple maths :smile: At my school, there are 5 of us who take HL and 3 do maths studies and they are still hitting top marks in Economics. One of the exam papers is a more mathsy paper but it's only really things like calculating percentages :smile:

I agree, HL economics does not require a lot of maths!
Reply 1461
Original post by tashaaaness
Hey! :smile:

Okay so I basically need some help.

I'm planning to pursue either vet med/med/pharmacy (but more likely pharmacy) and I picked these IB subjects:

HL
Maths
Biology
Chemistry

SL
Spanish ab initio
English A1
History

BUT, I recently got my IGCSE results - I only got an A (ie not A*) for Maths and a really horrible grade for Additional Maths :p: and my school is now recommending that I drop Maths HL and take up either English or History.

I have 2 questions.

1. Is it advisable to drop Maths HL despite wanting to pursue the sciences at university? Will this make me a little bit more disadvantaged than other applicants applying for the same courses? I know Maths HL is not required as I've got both Biology and Chem at HL but.. is it preferred?

I COULD try my best for Maths HL - that is, work my butt off for it but I'd just like to hear everybody's opinion on whether it's worth it, and whether I even need it! :smile:

2. Also, IF I do drop Maths HL, which HL should I take up, English A1 or History? I love both equally, and scored A*s for English First Language, English Literature and History at IGCSE and I'm pretty much torn between the two. So I WOULD like to pick the one I love - but I love both so uhhh, yeah I kinda need help :p:.

Can anyone out there tell me which HL they felt was better for them & why, whether the workload will be too much if I were to take one instead of the other..etc?

It'd be much appreciated, thanks! :smile:

Everybody I've met says HL Maths is really, really hard. A friend who is now doing Engineering at uni says he practically didn't have to work the first year because he'd done all the maths during IB. So a bit of a risk unless you are planning to do a degree that requires it
Reply 1462
What do you all think of philosophy HL as a choice? Really hard? What do universities think of it?
Original post by MetallicElvis
Just got accepted into an IB world school. I'm pretty excited and have been reading all about the subjects. Here's what I've chosen:
History HL
English HL
Theatre HL
Spanish Ab Initio
Math Studies
Biology SL
What do you guys think of these subjects? I'll be very grateful for any input. Thanks. :biggrin:

Do you mind me asking which school? Cause I got accepted into one too!
Original post by Quechicadlt
Hiya, I have applied to do the following subjects at an IB school
HL
Chemistry
Physics
Economics

SL
English
Spanish
Maths

I plan to study some form of engineering at university and i know maths, chemistry and physics will be useful for the engineering paths I am considering. Some of my friends have told me that universities only look at your higher subjects, is this really the case?
If it is would it be better if I do HL Maths instead of economics? Please advice me anyone. thanks. :smile:

Economics HL is actually incredibly interesting and well-respected, would recommend it. Maths HL is really hard, Econ not so much.
I was wondering whether anyone has done HL Geography Here?

Just wondering why the gap is, and is it more like GCCSE Geography (which I didn't really enjoy cause it was just learning) or a more open-ended course similar to University which requires a lot more thinking, providing you know the basic knowledge stuff, e.g. a theory or process
Original post by Xphoenix
I was wondering whether anyone has done HL Geography Here?

Just wondering why the gap is, and is it more like GCCSE Geography (which I didn't really enjoy cause it was just learning) or a more open-ended course similar to University which requires a lot more thinking, providing you know the basic knowledge stuff, e.g. a theory or process

I did Geo HL! I don't know anything about GCSE Geography though, but I can just talk a little bit about the course, from my perspective (disclaimer: I loved it, so it may be slightly biased).
IB Geography includes a lot of terminology and concepts which you should be familiar with (such as the Human Development Index, food miles, and green water), but most of the papers are based on analysis. For P1, you have to look at different graphs and identify trends and anomalies, suggest reasons for concepts, and apply case studies. There is one essay at the end, often where you evaluate a statement (the IB loves it when you "sit on the fence", ie. look at both the positives and the negatives about something - this is really important for most of Geo, being able to weigh both sides of an argument). P2 is three questions, each with 2 - 3 'short' answers, including more trends and reasons, and a longer essay. P3 is only essays.

Most of the course is applying the knowledge, the case studies, and the connections between what you learned to the specific questions, at least in my opinion.

Often, when you look at the mark schemes, they may provide a few acceptable answers, but then say that 'anything within reason' can also gain marks, which means that especially for the essays, as long as your argument is well supported, you gain marks.

I found that most of the course was an application of common knowledge. Yes, you learnt some more in-depth concepts and facts about events, but most of the questions could be answered by applying what you know about the world.
That being said, this is the reason why a lot of my classmates who didn't take geography think it's fairly boring - a lot of it seems straightforward and it seems to them as if they could answer it as well, without having studied it, and gain a high mark.

Sorry for the ramblings and I hope this helps. I really enjoyed the two years, I learned a lot of knowledge which I think is very relevant to the world we live in today.
Hi!

I am planning on doing:
HL
Art
DT
Economics

SL
English
Maths
Ab initio French

I'm not too sure about doing both DT and art at HL and was wondering if any of you had experience with this as I can still change my subject choices.
Thanks!
Hi everyone! I'll be taking the IB in a few months and I am still contemplating over which subjects to take. So glad to finally find this thread!
Can anyone help? I would like to pursue Art History in university.
Is HL English Literature, History and Visual Arts good for the course? Is Visual Arts mandatory to be taken in HL or is SL alright?
Thank you for helping!! :smile:
Original post by student0105
Hi everyone! I'll be taking the IB in a few months and I am still contemplating over which subjects to take. So glad to finally find this thread!
Can anyone help? I would like to pursue Art History in university.
Is HL English Literature, History and Visual Arts good for the course? Is Visual Arts mandatory to be taken in HL or is SL alright?
Thank you for helping!! :smile:

I'm going to be starting the IB in a few months as well! Where will you be studying?

I think all three of those subjects would be good choices, but I'm not that knowledgeable in the field of Art History. Based on what I know, it would involve essay writing and a good understanding of Arts and History, which is exactly what your choices here reflect.

The Visual Arts question depends mainly on what universities you want to go to. Search them up and look at their specific requirements. Personally, I think SL should be fine, but HL would definitely be able to better prepare you for it, since you would be exposed to more art (both in styles and in the time you're spending on it) and you're planning on majoring in Art History.
Original post by PJDK
Everybody I've met says HL Maths is really, really hard. A friend who is now doing Engineering at uni says he practically didn't have to work the first year because he'd done all the maths during IB. So a bit of a risk unless you are planning to do a degree that requires it

I am currently doing maths HL. Please take maths HL and physics HL if you are considering Engineering (check the unis requirement, they specify that as qualification)

Frankly, unlike other subjects, maths HL is a subject that is hard to improve in. Most people improved 1 grade from the beginning to the end of year 1 in my class (the class size is 10 fyi). I also improved from 6 to 7.

If you think you are good at math (getting very good grades with nearly no revision in the GCSEs) or you have a decent mathematical background, maths HL should be easy. I would recommend taking 4 HLs in the beginning of IB, and check if maths HL is manageable or not.

For me, economics HL is the hardest HL out of your picks, because it requires a lot of work and revision.
Original post by gsxrjunkie
OMG!!!! You have the exact same subjects as me! On top of that I also am looking into engineering!!

I have the same problem as you about maths. Umm I don't know where you are based but in the UK there are some unis that accept SL maths however require a high grade in HL physics. Also they may make you take some maths modules during uni...

All the best!

Thank you so much for the advice, I'll check out the unis near to me :smile:
hello! i'm starting IB this year and i'm really excited!! :smile: right now, my choices are:

HL History
HL French B
HL Chemistry

SL English Lit
SL Maths
SL Psychology

I am looking into reading law at university, I know it would be ideal to take HL English Lit, but I've heard that it's REALLY hard to get a 7 at HL, and I'm honestly not amazing at Lit (not totally confident in getting an A* at IGCSE level). Would this be extremely disadvantageous even though that I already have a 'traditional' essay subject (History) at HL? Thank you for your help!! :biggrin:
Original post by chantilly13
hello! i'm starting IB this year and i'm really excited!! :smile: right now, my choices are:

HL History
HL French B
HL Chemistry

SL English Lit
SL Maths
SL Psychology

I am looking into reading law at university, I know it would be ideal to take HL English Lit, but I've heard that it's REALLY hard to get a 7 at HL, and I'm honestly not amazing at Lit (not totally confident in getting an A* at IGCSE level). Would this be extremely disadvantageous even though that I already have a 'traditional' essay subject (History) at HL? Thank you for your help!! :biggrin:

I just finished my first year in IB so hopefully I can help you out. in my opinion, I would substitute your French B for SL and take English HL. I took Lit Lang HL and sure, it takes work to get at least a 6 but it's much better than having it as an SL. Other than that, I find lit lang quite fun and engaging. i took a second language too but at HL, im not sure about French but Indonesian B SL and HL students take the exact same test so it would be a waste of 1 HL to take French B, unless you can take 4 HLs like I did.
My HLs are Business & Management, Psychology, English Lit Lang and Indonesian B.
Reply 1474
My choices would be:
Chemistry HL
Physics HL
Maths HL
Slovene HL (sadly in my country we have to take our first language HL)

English as a second language SL
Phylosophy/psyhology SL (which one do you recomend?)

I'd like to study natural sciences or any specifical physical science (I'm not really into biological ones).
Well I'm starting IB this year and my choices are:
HL: geography, biology , chemistry
SL: mandarin an initio, English Lang, mathematical studies
I would suggest you to do not take French as a HL unless you're thinking to apply to a French-spoken university and that Wnglish is way more important . Furthermore if you're definitely sure you are going to do law you should also change chemistry HL to SL and put another HL instead :wink:
Hope you found it helpful
Hello! I'm starting IB DP this year and my choices are following:
HL:
Math
Biology
Psychology
Chemistry
SL:
French ab initio
English lit

I'm thinking of taking psychology major in univ, but I am not a big fan of biology, prefering chemistry rather than that (though I got pretty good grades in both of them in igcse). I'm considering of changing Bio with History SL, or Eng lit HL instead of Biology. What do you think of this combination? Is it too biased? Or do you think the Biology hl is still mandetory? I would appreciate your kind advices:smile:

Oh and one more, anyone who've taken the global politics? My school is offering it from this year and I'm quite interested. How is it?
Hi Everyone,
Here are the subjects I've chosen.

English hl
Economics hl
Chinese hl
ESS
Math studies

I need one more sl subject. I'm thinking of taking either psychology or global politics.
Is there a lot of biology in psychology? I'm not good in biology. Which one is easier?
Any suggestions? Thanks.
Hi Everyone,
Here are the subjects I've chosen.

English hl
Economics hl
Chinese hl
ESS
Math studies

I need one more sl subject. I'm thinking of taking either psychology or global politics.
Is there a lot of biology in psychology? I'm not good in biology. Which one is easier?
Any suggestions? Thanks.
I will be starting my IBDP this year. I would like to take up Psychology at Univ level. I have chosen

HL - Psych, Bio, Chem
SL - Eng Lit, French,Math

Is this good ? Do I need to do Math SL or will Math Studies serve the purpose.

Latest

Trending

Trending