The Student Room Group

OCR gcse history A paper 1-a,b,c part questions

hi, does anyone know how to go about answering the (a), (b) and (c) part questions at the end of each section?
Which topics are you doing?

Also could you possibly tell me how many marks each question is worth thanks?
I am doing OCR History doing Cold War and USA.

part a is 4 marks?
part b is 6marks?
part C is 10 marks?
A (really) vague idea of how you could go about it (as I have no idea what the questions will be...):

a) (4 marker)
2 detailed points or 4 points - aim to spend no more than 5 minutes on this

b) (6 marker)
2 or 3 paragraphs with a separate factor in each (DIFFERENT points), at least two detailed explained reasons - 10 mins or so on this

c) (10 marker)
aiming for 1.5 - 2 pages, 20 mins or so
For 'how far do you agree' : balanced (yes and no) approach, links between paragraphs, come to a conclusion (how far do you agree - come to a judgement)
For 'which do you think was most important' : one paragraph for each factor, again come to a conclusion

ANSWER THE QUESTION :smile:

hope this helps somewhat
Reply 4
Original post by TheTruthTeller
Which topics are you doing?

Also could you possibly tell me how many marks each question is worth thanks?

Hi :smile:
I'm doing Germany and medicine through time:
part a is 5 marks
part b is 7 marks
part c is 8 marks
Reply 5
Original post by turn-to-page394
A (really) vague idea of how you could go about it (as I have no idea what the questions will be...):

a) (4 marker)
2 detailed points or 4 points - aim to spend no more than 5 minutes on this

b) (6 marker)
2 or 3 paragraphs with a separate factor in each (DIFFERENT points), at least two detailed explained reasons - 10 mins or so on this

c) (10 marker)
aiming for 1.5 - 2 pages, 20 mins or so
For 'how far do you agree' : balanced (yes and no) approach, links between paragraphs, come to a conclusion (how far do you agree - come to a judgement)
For 'which do you think was most important' : one paragraph for each factor, again come to a conclusion

ANSWER THE QUESTION :smile:

hope this helps somewhat

Thanks the reply, this is actually pretty helpful!:biggrin: However I think I'm doing a slightly different paper: For me part (a) is worth 5 marks, part (b) is 7 marks and part (c) is 8 marks :smile:
Original post by gastly
Thanks the reply, this is actually pretty helpful!:biggrin: However I think I'm doing a slightly different paper: For me part (a) is worth 5 marks, part (b) is 7 marks and part (c) is 8 marks :smile:

Oh sorry :smile: I think I'm doing History B ._. Oops, my bad.

Glad it helped anyways.
Hi, I'm also doing medicine through time! :smile:

Our teacher told us to pick the question which you could best answer part C, because it has the most marks (8 marks).

In terms of timings, the paper is two hours long, so we were told to spend around 40 mins on the end of section questions, taking at least 20 mins to answer part c.

If you need any help with the first source based questions, then feel free to ask!
Reply 8
Original post by PoachedPringles
Hi, I'm also doing medicine through time! :smile:

Our teacher told us to pick the question which you could best answer part C, because it has the most marks (8 marks).

In terms of timings, the paper is two hours long, so we were told to spend around 40 mins on the end of section questions, taking at least 20 mins to answer part c.

If you need any help with the first source based questions, then feel free to ask!

Hi!:biggrin:
do you know how to structure answers for parts b and c? I know part a is 5 points/ two points + explanations, but I'm not sure about the other two.
Original post by gastly
Hi!:biggrin:
do you know how to structure answers for parts b and c? I know part a is 5 points/ two points + explanations, but I'm not sure about the other two.

For part c, since it's normally a 'how far do you agree' question, you do roughly three paragraphs - why you agree, why you disagree and a conclusion. These paragraphs are going to be quite long, since we could be asked to compare from Prehistoric medicine to modern day surgery.

I'm not really sure about part b. I would just make a rough note of everything you know about that topic, then arrange them into neat paragraphs. Looking at the sample paper, there doesn't really seem to be any need to look at both sides of the argument, but they could change it up for the real thing. I think that two or three developed points would be enough.

Quick Reply

Latest