The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA4 - Thursday 11th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CD223
Here is PotterPhysics' answer to the first question: The answer is 800 (C)

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=56268219#post56268219

And the second one comes out to be -13 (A) as above :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

My bad; I'll remove the error to avoid confusion. :yy:
Reply 2061
Original post by Fvthoms
My bad; I'll remove the error to avoid confusion. :yy:

No problem! If they generally state an effect on the radius/diameter without stating the effect on the mass, then both the numerator AND denominator change when working out g or V :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi! I just did the June 2012 paper for Unit 4 and I don't understand how to do several of the questions in section A so I was hoping someone could explain them to me?

The questions are 2, 6, 10, 16, 24.

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-PHYA4-1-QP-JUN12.PDF
Reply 2063
Original post by aprocrastinator
Hi! I just did the June 2012 paper for Unit 4 and I don't understand how to do several of the questions in section A so I was hoping someone could explain them to me?

Question 2:
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1432810118.018798.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2064

Question 6:
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1432810222.548919.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2065

Question 10:
The answer is B.

This is because resonance curves show that a system reaches maximum amplitude (a sharp resonance peak) when the driving frequency equals the natural frequency if the damping is light.

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1432810373.619885.jpg

When a system is damped more and more, the amplitude at resonance is reduced and moreover, the resonant frequency is slightly reduced.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2066

Question 16:
The answer is C.

At the point of closest approach, the velocity is zero, not the acceleration.

If the velocity is zero, the kinetic energy is zero.

The closer the particle gets to the nucleus, the greater its potential energy becomes, ruling out A, B and D.

Question 24:
The answer is C.

When the current is at a maximum and suddenly switched off, there is the greatest change in flux linkage through the coil out of all scenarios given.

A greater change of magnetic flux linkage produces a greater emf, and as the circuit is complete, the greatest induced current reading is observed.

Hope that helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Hahaha, I'm flattered, but no. I got rejected by Oxford after my interview in December. Being totally honest, I'm happy about it because I don't think the atmosphere would have been healthy for me - I need a place I feel I can chill out!

I'm (hopefully) going to Bath to do Computer Science in September. How about you? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well Oxford have missed out! Sheffield hopefully - Aerospace Engineering
Reply 2068
Anyone care to explain why sharp points produce intense fields?

Is it something to do with:
[br]E=ΔVΔd[br][br]E = \dfrac{\Delta V}{\Delta d}[br]

Where there is a large potential across a small distance?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2069
Original post by EmiratesCaptain
Well Oxford have missed out! Sheffield hopefully - Aerospace Engineering

That's really nice of you, thank you :smile:
Good luck! What grades do you need? 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
That's really nice of you, thank you :smile:
Good luck! What grades do you need? 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem :smile: AAB - The B will probably be in physics.. I find it quite hard :/
Reply 2071
Original post by EmiratesCaptain
No problem :smile: AAB - The B will probably be in physics.. I find it quite hard :/

Physics is my hardest subject too - which is disheartening because it's one of my more interesting subjects!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Physics is my hardest subject too - which is disheartening because it's one of my more interesting subjects!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha agreed! I think unit 5 is harder than 4 though
Reply 2073
Hey guys. Can anyone help me with part (c)ii of this question? I just don't understand the mark scheme. They seem to be using eV for a potential difference? I thought eV was a measurement of energy...

Thanks. Question is attached. This is from June 2012.
Yeah I was stuck on that one too, You can use work done= force x distance and use the energy they gave to find the force

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone know why the particle would be positive?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by huniibehi

Posted from TSR Mobile

Electric field line always act from positive to negative, so if the electric field in upwards the particle must have a negative charge. I think this is why, but not 100% sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2077
Original post by bwr19
Hey guys. Can anyone help me with part (c)ii of this question? I just don't understand the mark scheme. They seem to be using eV for a potential difference? I thought eV was a measurement of energy...

Thanks. Question is attached. This is from June 2012.

Can't you do:

[br]F=Ws=QVd[br][br]F = \dfrac{W}{s} = \dfrac{QV}{d}[br]

Where:
[br]Q=1.6×1019C[br]V=4500V[br]d=180×103m[br][br]Q = 1.6 \times 10^{-19} C[br]V = 4500 V[br]d = 180 \times 10^{-3}m[br]

Then the minimum distance equals

[br]Electron volts×1.6×1019F[br][br]\dfrac{\text{Electron volts} \times 1.6 \times 10^{-19}}{F}[br]

?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2078
Original post by huniibehi

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is there a diagram with that question? It's just I'm unsure if you could answer it without one as all it says is "vertical" field?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know that's what I thought! But no diagram so I don't get why it would be positive

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending