The Student Room Group

Business and Marketing Courses at Bournemouth Uni!

Hi All,

My name is Chris and I am currently studying Marketing Communications at Bournemouth Uni, where I am in my first year!

If you had any questions about business and marketing courses at BU feel free to send them to me :biggrin:

Good luck everyone with applications/interviews :biggrin:

Chris
What are the differences between Marketing Communications and Advertising? And how are you finding your course?
Reply 2
Original post by RyanSammy
What are the differences between Marketing Communications and Advertising? And how are you finding your course?

My course is great!!! The lecturers are really helpful and they find a way to make all the lectures interesting. BU has loads of resources which comes in really helpful, as a BU student you get a free subscription to Mintel, which is so useful when doing coursework. Everyone else on the course is really nice too. There is a good amount of both individual and group work. The only thing that I haven't enjoyed is the exams! haha

There is a slight difference between Marcomms and Advertising, in the first year marcomms students complete a module called fundamentals of marketing, while advertising students complete fundamentals of advertising. All the other modules are shared, marcomms and advertising both study communication and research skills, contemporary media and popular culture, consumer culture and behaviour (which is really interesting!!), emerging global themes and integrated marketing communications.

Hope this has helped!

Chris :biggrin:
Reply 3
Hi,

What is the typical layout of the exams? Are they small mark knowledge based questions or more like essays? Also is the course as a whole quite business studies based? I am coming from more of a creative background and I'm struggling to find the right balance of Marketing, PR, Digital Communications and Advertising ect.

Gabby
Reply 4
Original post by Gabby961
Hi,

What is the typical layout of the exams? Are they small mark knowledge based questions or more like essays? Also is the course as a whole quite business studies based? I am coming from more of a creative background and I'm struggling to find the right balance of Marketing, PR, Digital Communications and Advertising ect.

Gabby

Hi Gabby,

You should fit right in! Marketing Comms sounds like the perfect course for you! Marcomms is part of the media school and while elements of business studies will be highlighted it should be easy to pick up and marketing communications is still a quite creative course. In fact marketing communications, advertising and PR students will all study 5 of the same 6 modules; communication and research, consumer culture and behaviour, contemporary media and popular culture, emerging global themes and integrated marketing communications (where you are placed in group work and you will be given an actual live brief).

You will have exams for 5 out of the 6 modules in the first year. They are all essay-style questions which will based on a topic that has been covered in lectures and seminars. But the amount of exams you will have reduces every year of the course, which is good! hehe

I hope this has helped, let me know if you have any other questions :smile:

Thanks

Chris :biggrin:
Reply 5
Hey I'm interested in doing marketing/marketing communications or public relations, however I haven't decided yet which one. Is there any major distinction between the two courses which you think may help me to decide? Also do you know what the difference between a marketing and a marketing communications course is? And just out of interest how many people are on your course? It's nice to have a rough idea!
I'm visiting Bournemouth for the open day in a few weeks it would just be good to have a better idea of which course it is that I want to do before I visit!
Thanks in advance!:smile:
Reply 6
Original post by AmbikaKJ
Hey I'm interested in doing marketing/marketing communications or public relations, however I haven't decided yet which one. Is there any major distinction between the two courses which you think may help me to decide? Also do you know what the difference between a marketing and a marketing communications course is? And just out of interest how many people are on your course? It's nice to have a rough idea!
I'm visiting Bournemouth for the open day in a few weeks it would just be good to have a better idea of which course it is that I want to do before I visit!
Thanks in advance!:smile:

Hi AmbikaKJ,

I am currently studying Marketing Communications, there are 4 seminar groups of around 20-25 students and just under 100 of us overall. However in most lectures the marcomms students and grouped with the advertising students and the PR students. The biggest distinction between the three courses in the first year is that marketing communications students study Fundamentals of Marketing, while advertising students study fundamentals of advertising and the PR students study fundamentals of PR. The other five modules are shared, so effectively advertising, PR and marcomms students will all study consumer culture, communication and research, integrated marketing communications, emerging global themes and popular media and culture.

As for the difference between marketing and marketing communications, students on both courses will study fundamentals of marketing, consumer culture and integrated marketing communications. But marketing students will study introduction to economics, introduction to management and legal relationships rather than the previously mentioned modules.

I hope this has helped!

Let me know if you have any other queries or if you want me to expand a bit more on particular modules :biggrin:

Chris
Reply 7
Original post by CBowditch
Hi AmbikaKJ,

I am currently studying Marketing Communications, there are 4 seminar groups of around 20-25 students and just under 100 of us overall. However in most lectures the marcomms students and grouped with the advertising students and the PR students. The biggest distinction between the three courses in the first year is that marketing communications students study Fundamentals of Marketing, while advertising students study fundamentals of advertising and the PR students study fundamentals of PR. The other five modules are shared, so effectively advertising, PR and marcomms students will all study consumer culture, communication and research, integrated marketing communications, emerging global themes and popular media and culture.

As for the difference between marketing and marketing communications, students on both courses will study fundamentals of marketing, consumer culture and integrated marketing communications. But marketing students will study introduction to economics, introduction to management and legal relationships rather than the previously mentioned modules.

I hope this has helped!

Let me know if you have any other queries or if you want me to expand a bit more on particular modules :biggrin:

Chris

Ah okay thank you for the help! :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by AmbikaKJ
Ah okay thank you for the help! :smile:

Glad to have helped! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending