The Student Room Group

Anyone doing a-level sociology and psychology?

I've reached the end of year 11 and I have got to make the decision of what A levels to take. To enter into psychology, I'm thinking of doing Psychology, sociology, politics and English Lit. Has anyone done Psych and Sociology TOGETHER? How was it? Please share your opinions:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LenniesRabbit
I've reached the end of year 11 and I have got to make the decision of what A levels to take. To enter into psychology, I'm thinking of doing Psychology, sociology, politics and English Lit. Has anyone done Psych and Sociology TOGETHER? How was it? Please share your opinions:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do A2 psychology and sociology together at the moment. I find them both very interesting, however there is so much content you have to remember for each of them, which I find very difficult. I personally find the content for sociology alot harder to learn than psychology, especially at A2. I know that next year though exams are changing so I'm not sure how different it will be from what we currently learn.
Reply 2
You need to be good at writing and remembering. The A2 content is all essay writing with a lot of content to remember. But they do both complement each other well and some topics do slightly overlap
Original post by creeky95
You need to be good at writing and remembering. The A2 content is all essay writing with a lot of content to remember. But they do both complement each other well and some topics do slightly overlap

So would you say you found it quite difficult to learn/study both topics at one time? Did the overlapping prove to be a problem?

Posted from TSR Mobile
So would you say you found it quite difficult to learn/study both topics at one time? Did the overlapping prove to be a problem?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did sociology and psychology (AQA) A levels (together with RS and English lit/language) - finished them last year.

I think they go well together but you need to be prepared to do a lot of writing and be ok with 100% exams. There is a lot of content but I personally found it interesting and enjoyable.

Good luck
I do AS Psychology (OCR) and Sociology (AQA). The only overlap between these two exam boards so far seems to be the Research Methods topic. However they are both very interesting and I don't regret my choice. It's not too hard to do both as long as you are good at essay structure and remembering names/figures.

Good Luck! x
Original post by emiloujess
I do AS Psychology (OCR) and Sociology (AQA). The only overlap between these two exam boards so far seems to be the Research Methods topic. However they are both very interesting and I don't regret my choice. It's not too hard to do both as long as you are good at essay structure and remembering names/figures.

Good Luck! x

Our sixth form is doing the same two exam boards luckily. When you say research methods, what exactly do you mean? Could you give an example ?

Thank you
Our sixth form is doing the same two exam boards luckily. When you say research methods, what exactly do you mean? Could you give an example ?

Thank you

Ethics
Types of Experiment
Self-Reports (questionnaires/interviews)
Sampling Methods (Volunteer/Random/Opportunity, etc)
Types of Data
Experimental Designs
Measures of Central Tendency & Measures of Dispersion
Types/methods of observation/interview
Correlations
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest