The Student Room Group

Wjec ICT AS Level- IT1 Exam (1st June)

Hi, who else is sitting this exam?

I know you need to learn the mark schemes off by heart. But does anybody have any resources they have put together, or the latest past papers? And have any ideas of what may come up?
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi, I'm doing this exam too :smile:
You can find all the past papers and mark schemes here - http://www.wjec.co.uk/qualifications/qualification-resources.html?pastpaper=true&subject=ICT&level=gceasa

My teacher reckons that this year, the big essay question will be on Home Entertainment as it hasn't been up in a while! Its also very unlikely to be health again as that was last years essay question.
Besides that it will most likely be business as usual, just make sure you keep learning the exact definitions they want to hear, i really hate how this exam works. Miss one word out of a definition and it can cost you the whole question :/

Good luck next week! :smile:
Original post by Nath98
Hi, I'm doing this exam too :smile:
You can find all the past papers and mark schemes here - http://www.wjec.co.uk/qualifications/qualification-resources.html?pastpaper=true&subject=ICT&level=gceasa

My teacher reckons that this year, the big essay question will be on Home Entertainment as it hasn't been up in a while! Its also very unlikely to be health again as that was last years essay question.
Besides that it will most likely be business as usual, just make sure you keep learning the exact definitions they want to hear, i really hate how this exam works. Miss one word out of a definition and it can cost you the whole question :/

Good luck next week! :smile:

Thanks for that!! Have you been using any revision material, or just going over past papers?
Reply 3
Original post by jamescalebsmith
Thanks for that!! Have you been using any revision material, or just going over past papers?

Mainly just past papers and making mind maps of my notes from class. Have yet to find any resources online!
Original post by Nath98
Mainly just past papers and making mind maps of my notes from class. Have yet to find any resources online!

Ah cool, I've found this pretty decent one on get revising http://getrevising.co.uk/revision-cards/wjec_it1_as_2
I'm doing this exam too
http://bryntegict.co.uk/resources/computing/theteacher/ict/ictwjec1.htm This website is helpful but you'd be safer just revising the mark scheme
I'm finding question B quite confusing though
Reply 6
Original post by Morgan_123
I'm doing this exam too
http://bryntegict.co.uk/resources/computing/theteacher/ict/ictwjec1.htm This website is helpful but you'd be safer just revising the mark scheme

Section B is a godsend. I've practised it so much and you can pretty much guarantee what the questions will be, just keep answering the past paper questions using your spreadsheet evidence and you'll master it!

The best way to answer them is say which screenshot you used the feature in, why you used that feature and then an advantage of using the feature!
I'm doing this exam too

Thanks mate
I'm retaking I haven't revised once yet...I even forgot what all the topics were! :frown:
From what I've heard, you don't really need any revision materials, the key resource is past papers and mark schemes! This course is literally a memory test, my teacher even said to not use the textbook because the answers have to be strictly from the mark schemes, one word off could cost you the whole answer! It's why you either do really well or you fail really badly, (not trying to put additional pressure lol just stating the facts), good luck everyone!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MikeyCheung
From what I've heard, you don't really need any revision materials, the key resource is past papers and mark schemes! This course is literally a memory test, my teacher even said to not use the textbook because the answers have to be strictly from the mark schemes, one word off could cost you the whole answer! It's why you either do really well or you fail really badly, (not trying to put additional pressure lol just stating the facts), good luck everyone!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah thats the horrible thing about this exam...

An A* student in ICT Wjec has to be able to look at the question and think 'I remember this answer!' rather than actually think.

I haven't don't any revising so I will have to literally guess
Reply 11
Gl remembering all the answers guys :u:
It's a BS exam. Dumb f***ers marking us down for a perfectly reasonable answer.
The exam is marked by brain-dead monkeys.
Good luck everyone.
😁🔫 not excited

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
The markschemes are tight. Memorising all possible questions and its answers from past papers, for me, works as it would lead to visualisation of a mark scheme whilst answering a similar nature of the question in the exam. :smile: Or A3 mindmaps with multiple topics illustrated on it also helps because it links up in your memory and aids in a overview of what you know
Reply 15
I don't understand why the course brings up things like registration systems. It's completely out of date.
It's surely a given now a days going through your school years with a computerised registration system etc...
Same goes for computers in teaching and learning.
Same goes for EPOS and electronic funds transfer, these things are all givens in the modern day, not something you should be required to give the advantages and disadvantages about in an A level exam...

Stupid stupid WJEC
Reply 16
**** me they really get on my nerves...here's another one...past exam q:
'A DVD hire business makes use of database software. Define each of the following functionsof the software and give an appropriate example of how each could be used by the business. '
(a) Query

ANSWER BY MARKSCHEME:
Definition:A query is when you interrogate (search/sort/filter) a database to find some information.
Example:A search to find all the ‘U’ category films because a parent wants a suitable film for a children’sparty.
Examples need to indicate what looking for and why to show whether the query is appropriate

Now the fact that these ***** say you need to show why the query's appropriate is freeking ridiculous.
The question asked to define what a query was and an example of how it could be used by the business...
Ok so if i give the definition for the query (1 mark) and say 'they might have searched for the genre action films', I only get one mark out of two.
Surely I did what the question asked and gave a use of the query: searching for action films.
Did the question ******* ask why the query's appropriate? The question should have ******* said how the query could be used by the business and why. I don't need to ******* say why they searched for action films who gives a ****, they could have been horny af and get off to captain america do I give a **** cos WJEC clearly do OMG
Omfg I rage quit **** these guys wow
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 17
Forgot to share this last time, if it would help anyone. Its my notes with all topics excluding half of "use of ICT" because I just got fed up with it haha

WJEC AS Level - ICT Theory Revision Notes.docx WJEC (AS level) ICT Theory Notes
Original post by Rawr97
Forgot to share this last time, if it would help anyone. Its my notes with all topics excluding half of "use of ICT"

Wow that's really detailed, thank you! Did you use mark schemes?
Reply 19
Wow that's really detailed, thank you! Did you use mark schemes?

Yeah, most of it. Sorry if the topics are all over the place I got tired of it but you can change it if you want to suit your revision.

Topics includes
Data, Info and knowledge (I don't think Processing is actually in the specification though)
Value and importance of info
Quality of info
Validation and Verification
Capabilities and limitation of ICT
Uses of ICT: Business; Education; Health; Home
Presenting Information
Networks
HCI
Social issues
Database system
And Simulation Modelling

Quick Reply