The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Accommodation- Denmark Road

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Usernames Suck
I've applied to Denmark Road; I did it in December to try make sure I got it because I want to be in the city and it looked really nice but I got made to edit my application last month and am now worried I won't get it if that's moved me down the queue. My other choices don't seem anyway near as appealing.

I think your original application date still stands. What were your other choices?
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 61
I've just had a look at the payment plan for this year for Denmark Road:

http://documents.manchester.ac.uk/display.aspx?DocID=24010

and it looks like the termly instalments are due BEFORE my student finance reaches my bank account- the "expected payment date"- thats written on my student finance letter (which i'm guessing is the same for all of us who've applied for student finance using Manchester University as our university...?)

What do I do? :K:

P.S I'm using the expected payment date of the tuition fee loans (£9,000 a year paid directly to Manchester Uni) and i'm assuming that it is the same date the maintenance loans (and grants) used to help with accommodation and other living costs will be paid into our bank accounts
Original post by itsMaii

and it looks like the termly instalments are due BEFORE my student finance reaches my bank account- the "expected payment date"- thats written on my student finance letter (which i'm guessing is the same for all of us who've applied for student finance using Manchester University as our university...?)

P.S I'm using the expected payment date of the tuition fee loans (£9,000 a year paid directly to Manchester Uni) and i'm assuming that it is the same date the maintenance loans (and grants) used to help with accommodation and other living costs will be paid into our bank accounts

Your payment dates for your maintenance loan are typically the first day of each term. You'll only get it after your rent due date if something goes majorly wrong, in which case the university will probably be willing to give you a bit of leeway. The payment dates for the tuition fees are completely different to the maintenance loan ones.

What's the expected payment date that's stated on your letter?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by itsMaii

You will normally receive your maintenance loan and maintenance grant a few days after term starts - in mid September, mid January and mid April. All of the payment dates listed for Denmark Road are after the student finance payment dates, and if there are problems with your sf then the accommodation office will wait for you so long as you engage with them and tell them what's going on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 64
Original post by Origami Bullets
You will normally receive your maintenance loan and maintenance grant a few days after term starts - in mid September, mid January and mid April. All of the payment dates listed for Denmark Road are after the student finance payment dates, and if there are problems with your sf then the accommodation office will wait for you so long as you engage with them and tell them what's going on.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ohh right, I didn't know that i just assumed it was all going to be paid on the same date which is written on my student finance letter.

Thanks for that :smile:
Reply 65
Original post by HandmadeTurnip
Your payment dates for your maintenance loan are typically the first day of each term. You'll only get it after your rent due date if something goes majorly wrong, in which case the university will probably be willing to give you a bit of leeway. The payment dates for the tuition fees are completely different to the maintenance loan ones.

What's the expected payment date that's stated on your letter?

Ah thanks for that, I understand now :biggrin: Would've thought it was written clearly on the letter but never mind.

There's 3 written for the academic year but the first one is on 21/10/2015 (tuition fee loan)

My sister who's at Uni said that they will give us a separate letter in the future which will detail the amount and dates that the maintenance loans and grants will come in for the academic year.
Original post by itsMaii
Ah thanks for that, I understand now :biggrin: Would've thought it was written clearly on the letter but never mind.

There's 3 written for the academic year but the first one is on 21/10/2015 (tuition fee loan)

My sister who's at Uni said that they will give us a separate letter in the future which will detail the amount and dates that the maintenance loans and grants will come in for the academic year.

The tuition fee loan doesn't coincide with the maintenance loan in any way so I wouldn't worry about it, my first tuition fee loan was paid on the 21st of December this year according to my account but I received my maintenance loan on the 15th of September.
Reply 67
The tuition fee loan doesn't coincide with the maintenance loan in any way so I wouldn't worry about it, my first tuition fee loan was paid on the 21st of December this year according to my account but I received my maintenance loan on the 15th of September.

Okay, thank you very much :smile:
Did you pay it straight away so that you didn't risk spending it?
Original post by itsMaii
Okay, thank you very much :smile:
Did you pay it straight away so that you didn't risk spending it?

The tuition fee loan? That goes straight to the university, you don't even get to see it. It's only the maintenance loan that goes into your bank account.
Reply 69
The tuition fee loan? That goes straight to the university, you don't even get to see it. It's only the maintenance loan that goes into your bank account.

No as in pay your accommodation rent from your maintenance loan once it reaches your account
Original post by itsMaii
No as in pay your accommodation rent from your maintenance loan once it reaches your account

Oh right, if you're paying in instalments by direct debit you won't be able to choose when to pay it, it will just leave your bank account on the payment date (e.g. 20th October). You'll just have to make sure you manage your money prior to that date so there's still enough money in your account when the time comes.
Reply 71
Oh right, if you're paying in instalments by direct debit you won't be able to choose when to pay it, it will just leave your bank account on the payment date (e.g. 20th October). You'll just have to make sure you manage your money prior to that date so there's still enough money in your account when the time comes.

Oh right, that makes sense.
Do you get a separate letter from the accommodation confirming exactly how much they'll take (and when) so that u know how much to leave in your bank account to avoid it not going through?
Original post by itsMaii
Oh right, that makes sense.
Do you get a separate letter from the accommodation confirming exactly how much they'll take (and when) so that u know how much to leave in your bank account to avoid it not going through?

Isn't that what the payment plan document you linked to above shows?
Reply 73
Isn't that what the payment plan document you linked to above shows?

Surely those who haven't taken the liberty to find that will know some other way...
Original post by itsMaii
Surely those who haven't taken the liberty to find that will know some other way...

Yeah, I imagine everyone gets sent all the details once they've accepted their accommodation offer.
Reply 75
Yeah, I imagine everyone gets sent all the details once they've accepted their accommodation offer.

Probably :smile:
Reply 76
Original post by LauraRJ97
Also it'd be nice to know if anyone else is thinking of going to Denmark Road accommodation :smile:

I may be going to Denmark Road too :smile:
Original post by Jordy267
I may be going to Denmark Road too :smile:

Nice! What you studying?
Reply 78
Original post by PearJosh
Nice! What you studying?

Psychology and you?
Reply 79
Original post by LauraRJ97
So i've just accepted an offer from Manchester uni for psychology, my only worry is I don't know where to live...
My boyfriend goes to Manchester Met uni and his accommodation is rather standard and old fashioned.
I really want an en-suite and would prefer to be in a city center campus. Denmark road looks so nice (but very pricey) i would be willing to pay for it though if it's worth it.
My concern is: if it's a bit boring, do the students go out much, is it mainly international students or upper class students?
I want nice accommodation but i would like a good social life and friendly flat mates, any advice or knowledge on Denmark Road/ Manchester Uni
(i've heard Fallowfields is good but the crime rate seems to be rather bad and I'm sick of getting buses now, I literally hate them)
Thanks

"i've heard Fallowfields is good but the crime rate seems to be rather bad" Could you elaborate this? I'm a prospective undergraduate student and I'm just curious.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending