The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Mathematics MPC4 Core 4 - 9th June 2015 [Discussion & unofficial markscheme]

Scroll to see replies

Sorry for all this guys but I've gone wrong again 😑😑ImageUploadedByStudent Room1432740492.313745.jpg

Sorry it's a bit messy :/
On the markscheme it said to split it into 1/15 and xroot(2x-1) but surely there's a way to do it if I didn't?
:/
It's from June 2012 q8b

Posted from TSR Mobile
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1432740781.496360.jpg
Can someone explain to me the method of getting the minimum/max values of x (2b) for everything as I don't know any of those bits as don't think my teacher explained it :/ just using question 2b from jan 09 to give you an idea of the questions I mean? Thanks for everyone's help today!

I've done 2a if that helps and got root10sin(x-1.25)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 642
Original post by EmilyC96
Sorry for all this guys but I've gone wrong again 😑😑ImageUploadedByStudent Room1432740492.313745.jpg

Sorry it's a bit messy :/
On the markscheme it said to split it into 1/15 and xroot(2x-1) but surely there's a way to do it if I didn't?
:/
It's from June 2012 q8b

Posted from TSR Mobile

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1432741465.592335.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 643
Original post by EmilyC96
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1432740781.496360.jpg
Can someone explain to me the method of getting the minimum/max values of x (2b) for everything as I don't know any of those bits as don't think my teacher explained it :/ just using question 2b from jan 09 to give you an idea of the questions I mean? Thanks for everyone's help today!

I've done 2a if that helps and got root10sin(x-1.25)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1432741654.032789.jpg

Just as cos theta alternates between -1 and 1, your expression will alternate between root 10 and negative root 10.

When looking for a minimum, set the expression you've just worked out to equal the negative value of R.

When looking for a maximum, set the expression you've just worked out to equal the positive value of R.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How do you exactly know not to take the 15 up as well when separating variables?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 645
Original post by Jimmy20002012
How do you exactly know not to take the 15 up as well when separating variables?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can take the 15 up too. It will just be slightly harder. Keep it outside the integral for the remainder of calculations :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 646
I somehow managed to get 2/4 mark on Q6 b ii of the June 2014 C4 paper by purely guessing. xD
Reply 647
Original post by Tiwa
I somehow managed to get 2/4 mark on Q6 b ii of the June 2014 C4 paper by purely guessing. xD

:L which question was that? Vectors?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 648
Original post by CD223
:L which question was that? Vectors?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep! I took me a while to understand the question. even then, I made an educational guess.
Reply 649
Original post by Tiwa
Yep! I took me a while to understand the question. even then, I made an educational guess.

Oh right! Do you get it now?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 650
Where do they get a solution of 90 degrees from? I thought cotx couldn't equal zero?

I got the other solutions, just didn't know 90 degrees was one?

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1432818550.450692.jpg

EDIT: Oops, got my x and y the wrong way around. Never mind :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 651
Original post by CD223
Where do they get a solution of 90 degrees from? I thought cotx couldn't equal zero?

I got the other solutions, just didn't know 90 degrees was one?

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1432818550.450692.jpg

EDIT: Oops, got my x and y the wrong way around. Never mind :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Write Cotx as cosx/sinx
Reply 652
Original post by a123a
Write Cotx as cosx/sinx

In which case cosx=0\cos x = 0 and x=90ox = 90^{o}?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 653
Original post by CD223
In which case cosx=0\cos x = 0 and x=90ox = 90^{o}?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes.
I remember doing this question last year.
Edit: I could be wrong though.
Reply 654
Original post by a123a
Yes.

Oh right thanks!

Is this an acceptable way of showing the two tangents meet on the x axis?

(Jan 13 Q4 a ii)

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1432819401.624075.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by a123a
Yes.

You're right :smile:

It's like how y=(x)/(2x-3) has an asymptote at y=0, but y can still =0 when the numerator is 0, if that makes sense... Sort of like a special case
Original post by CD223
Oh right thanks!

Is this an acceptable way of showing the two tangents meet on the x axis?

(Jan 13 Q4 a ii)

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1432819401.624075.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

If this is the question I'm thinking of, you need to show that y=0 rather than substituting y=0 into the equation.

i.e. you end up with two simultaneous equations where if you add them together you are given y=0.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 657
Original post by Stepidermis
You're right :smile:

It's like how y=(x)/(2x-3) has an asymptote at y=0, but y can still =0 when the numerator is 0, if that makes sense... Sort of like a special case

How is that even possible 😁

Surely the equation breaks down?

Maths blows my mind.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 658
Original post by Stepidermis
If this is the question I'm thinking of, you need to show that y=0 rather than substituting y=0 into the equation.

i.e. you end up with two simultaneous equations where if you add them together you are given y=0.

Hope this helps :smile:

Thanks! Are there no alternative methods? My thinking was, if I set y=0 in both equations and that gives the same x co ordinate for both, surely that means they both intersect at the x axis?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Thanks! Are there no alternative methods? My thinking was, if I set y=0 in both equations and that gives the same x co ordinate for both, surely that means they both intersect at the x axis?

Posted from TSR Mobile

There must be other ways of showing that y=0, however in this instance I don't think your way works because in the question they have told you that q cannot equal 0 but they haven't given you a restriction for p (correct me if I'm wrong).

So the fact that you've found two equivalent expressions for x in this case is nullified by the fact that they both contain (q/p), as if p=0 then they don't intersect as this would instead be an asymptote, does that make sense?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending