How do i do cii)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Zenarthra
gg.png

If you didnt remember the matrices for relection in y=-x
How could you work it out?
How do i do cii)

Draw the unit vectors (1,0) and (0,1) on a sketch of a coordinate axes. Reflect both vectors in the line y=-x. The result will give you:

(1,0) -> (a,b)
(0,1) -> (c,d)

Then the matrix with columns (a,b) and (c,d) is the transformation matrix.
Reply 2
Original post by notnek
Draw the unit vectors (1,0) and (0,1) on a sketch of a coordinate axes. Reflect both vectors in the line y=-x. The result will give you:

(1,0) -> (a,b)
(0,1) -> (c,d)

Like this?

Original post by notnek

(1,0) -> (a,b)
(0,1) -> (c,d)

image.jpg
Is this correct?
Reply 3
Original post by notnek

(1,0) -> (a,b)
(0,1) -> (c,d)

image.jpg
For coo o tried this?
But it's wrong..
How would I do these type of questions?

Thanks
Reply 4
Like this?

image.jpg
Is this correct?

That's correct. Drawing the unit vectors is always useful to find a transformation matrix.
Reply 5
image.jpg
For coo o tried this?
But it's wrong..
How would I do these type of questions?

Thanks

Which part do you need help with : c)i or c)ii ?
Reply 6
Original post by notnek
Which part do you need help with : c)i or c)ii ?

cii) please
Reply 7
cii) please

How can you work out the scale factor of the enlargement using the matrix?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by notnek
How can you work out the scale factor of the enlargement using the matrix?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=411215&d=1432835197
I tried this to find h, the scale factor.
Reply 9

You can find the scale factor just by looking at the determinant of the matrix.

The determinant of the matrix gives you the area scale factor of the transformation. So what's the scale factor of the enlargement?
Reply 10
Original post by notnek
You can find the scale factor just by looking at the determinant of the matrix.

The determinant of the matrix gives you the area scale factor of the transformation. So what's the scale factor of the enlargement?

Ive never learned about determinants, but i know how to calculatre them?
How are they useful? What can you do with the determinant here?
Reply 11
Ive never learned about determinants, but i know how to calculatre them?
How are they useful? What can you do with the determinant here?

Sorry, I think this is an AQA question in which case determinants are not part of your syllabus I believe.

Instead you can use part c)i to help you: A2=12IA^2=12I

A2A^2 represents a transformation of A followed by another one of A. The fact above shows that this is represented by the matrix

12I=(120012)12I = \begin{pmatrix}12 & 0 \\ 0 &12\end{pmatrix}

Which is only an enlargement scale factor 12. Can you see how this shows that AA represents a reflection? And how can you use the above to find the enlargement scale factor of a single transformation using A?

You could have also drawn a sketch of this transformation using the unit vectors. Then it isn't too hard to find the scale factor of the enlargement using pythagoras.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by notnek
Sorry, I think this is an AQA question in which case determinants are not part of your syllabus I believe.

Instead you can use part c)i to help you: A2=12IA^2=12I

A2A^2 represents a transformation of A followed by another one of A. The fact above shows that this is represented by the matrix

12I=(120012)12I = \begin{pmatrix}12 & 0 \\ 0 &12\end{pmatrix}

Which is only an enlargement scale factor 12. Can you see how this shows that AA represents a reflection? And how can you use the above to find the enlargement scale factor of a single transformation using A?

You could have also drawn a sketch of this transformation using the unit vectors. Then it isn't too hard to find the scale factor of the enlargement using pythagoras.

I'm sorry I still do not understand how I could use this to find the rotation angle and enlargement.
Please could you just explain thoroughly how I would use it?
My exam is in a couple of days time, and my mine is somewhere else in other subjects atm.
I appreciate you trying to break it down for me but I realise it's taking me longer and longer to decipher what you have written.
Thanks
Reply 13
I'm sorry I still do not understand how I could use this to find the rotation angle and enlargement.
Please could you just explain thoroughly how I would use it?
My exam is in a couple of days time, and my mine is somewhere else in other subjects atm.
I appreciate you trying to break it down for me but I realise it's taking me longer and longer to decipher what you have written.
Thanks

Do you understand that A2A^2 represents a transformation of AA followed by AA?

So from part i, (120012)\begin{pmatrix}12 & 0 \\ 0 &12\end{pmatrix} represents that combined transformation.

If AA represents a reflection and an enlargement then the above is telling you that if you do the reflection twice and the enlargement twice then you will end up with only an enlargement scale factor 12.

This makes sense because if you do a reflection twice then you will get back to where you started.

So just focussing on the enlargement, if you do the enlargement twice you end up with an enlargement scale factor 12. That means that a single enlargement must have scale factor 12\sqrt{12} because 12×12=12\sqrt{12}\times \sqrt{12} = 12

i.e. if you enlarge with SF 12\sqrt{12} twice then the combined enlargement has SF 1212.

If any of this doesn't make sense, please tell me the exact part where you got stuck with my explanation.
Reply 14
Original post by notnek
Do you understand that A2A^2 represents a transformation of AA followed by AA?

So from part i, (120012)\begin{pmatrix}12 & 0 \\ 0 &12\end{pmatrix} represents that combined transformation.

If AA represents a reflection and an enlargement then the above is telling you that if you do the reflection twice and the enlargement twice then you will end up with only an enlargement scale factor 12.

This makes sense because if you do a reflection twice then you will get back to where you started.

So just focussing on the enlargement, if you do the enlargement twice you end up with an enlargement scale factor 12. That means that a single enlargement must have scale factor 12\sqrt{12} because 12×12=12\sqrt{12}\times \sqrt{12} = 12

i.e. if you enlarge with SF 12\sqrt{12} twice then the combined enlargement has SF 1212.

If any of this doesn't make sense, please tell me the exact part where you got stuck with my explanation.

Ok I understand thanks.
So is the enlargement = root 12 since enlarging twice gives 12.
If the enlargement is root 12 then I take a factor of root 12 out of A? Then work out angle?
Reply 15
Ok I understand thanks.
So is the enlargement = root 12 since enlarging twice gives 12.
If the enlargement is root 12 then I take a factor of root 12 out of A? Then work out angle?

Yes.
Reply 16
Original post by notnek
Yes.

But then sin 2x = -0.5
Which x = -15 degrees
Subbing in -15 degrees into coz 2x is not equal to -3/2root3 which is what I get when I take a factor out of A?
Reply 17
But then sin 2x = -0.5
Which x = -15 degrees
Subbing in -15 degrees into coz 2x is not equal to -3/2root3 which is what I get when I take a factor out of A?

-15 is not the only solution of sin2x=0.5\sin 2x=-0.5

You need to find a solution of the two equations sin2x=0.5\sin 2x = -0.5 and cos2x=32\cos 2x = -\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}.

Sorry, I've been busy recently and haven't been able to reply much.
Reply 18
Original post by notnek
-15 is not the only solution of sin2x=0.5\sin 2x=-0.5

You need to find a solution of the two equations sin2x=0.5\sin 2x = -0.5 and cos2x=32\cos 2x = -\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}.

Sorry, I've been busy recently and haven't been able to reply much.

Understood, thanks for your help!
But is this determinant way much quicker?
Reply 19
Understood, thanks for your help!
But is this determinant way much quicker?

Well that depends how long it takes you to get the scale factor using A2A^2. If you were given a similar question again, you could probably now do it quite quickly.

If you know how to calculate a determinant, then there's no harm in remembering that the determinant of a matrix gives you the area scale factor of the transformation. So the square root of the determinant gives you the scale factor. I don't think you are required to know this as part of your syllabus.

Quick Reply

Latest