The Student Room Group
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth

****Ask a second year Portsmouth student anything******

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jessie113
What I was told on the accommodation tour was to wait till you meet your flat mates before buying things like kettles and toasters ect as you can all pitch in with buying one or somebody may bring one and you won't need many :smile: I know many friends who have done this also. Obviously bringing your own cutlery and plates ect is a good idea

Posted from TSR Mobile

Alright thank you for that!
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth
Reply 81
I would like to know how admissions fare if you don't quite meet the entry requirements. They've asked me for 120 ucas points this year, but I may only be able to get 100. Anyone have any experience with this? I'm applying for Computer Science
What's life generally like at Portsmouth, good, bad, safe?
Original post by The Marshall
What's life generally like at Portsmouth, good, bad, safe?

I'd say good and safe :smile:

I've regularly walked around late at night to and from my girlfriend's house, Southsea -> Gunwharf Quays and never felt unsafe.
Original post by StatusRed
I'd say good and safe :smile:

I've regularly walked around late at night to and from my girlfriend's house, Southsea -> Gunwharf Quays and never felt unsafe.

Good to hear, and the accommodation, flatmates, plus the lifestyle? What course are you doing and what can you do to get involved in various clubs?
Good to hear, and the accommodation, flatmates, plus the lifestyle? What course are you doing and what can you do to get involved in various clubs?

I lived in Langstone in my first year so it was a bit far out but nice enough :P

Nightlife was great but in the second year I got down to work and haven't been out much except for the pub occasionally.

In terms of clubs, I'm involved a lot with the Union as Secretary of Labour Students and also a member of the Real Ale and Cider society, there's so many societies.
Original post by StatusRed
I lived in Langstone in my first year so it was a bit far out but nice enough :P

Nightlife was great but in the second year I got down to work and haven't been out much except for the pub occasionally.

In terms of clubs, I'm involved a lot with the Union as Secretary of Labour Students and also a member of the Real Ale and Cider society, there's so many societies.

Hmmmm.....you do International Relations and Politics?

Still, really great to hear, and one last thing; is Portsmouth a good uni, doesn't have scandals like so many others do?
Hmmmm.....you do International Relations and Politics?

Still, really great to hear, and one last thing; is Portsmouth a good uni, doesn't have scandals like so many others do?

I study Software Engineering but some of my friends study International Relations and Politics.

It seems like a decent Uni to me, I'm doing well. What do you mean by "scandals"?
Reply 88
Original post by drooid
I would like to know how admissions fare if you don't quite meet the entry requirements. They've asked me for 120 ucas points this year, but I may only be able to get 100. Anyone have any experience with this? I'm applying for Computer Science

What are you currently studying? 120 pts? My offer is 280 pts for CS.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 89
Original post by lnux
What are you currently studying? 120 pts? My offer is 280 pts for CS.

I've resat a year
Year 1: AS UOM, Computing, Psychology
Year 2: A2 Computing, AS Maths, AS Physics
Year 3: A2 Maths, Physics and AS ICT

I'd have gotten an A* in my computing rather than a C if my teacher ever showed up - A* coursework and C in the exam

Even if I get all Cs this year, I would get over 300 UCAS points with everything in mind, I'm confused.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 90
Original post by drooid
I've resat a year
Year 1: AS UOM, Computing, Psychology
Year 2: A2 Computing, AS Maths, AS Physics
Year 3: A2 Maths, Physics and AS ICT

I'd have gotten an A* in my computing rather than a C if my teacher ever showed up - A* coursework and C in the exam

Even if I get all Cs this year, I would get over 300 UCAS points with everything in mind, I'm confused.

You have a pretty decent grade, I think you'll be alright, what are you confused about?
Reply 91
Original post by lnux
You have a pretty decent grade, I think you'll be alright, what are you confused about?

My offer's 120 though I'm unsure I'll make it, whereas if I just ignored the offer and went purely on points, I'll meet the requirements on the page - 260-300 points.

My offer, for context: http://puu.sh/i4HCA/e153ebef00.png
As I understand your offer, you need a C in Maths or Physics and then 40 points from your remaining exams which could be achieved by a C in your AS IT. That doesn't seem unrealistic. However, if the worst should happen, talk to the university as they may be able to help. There are people on my course who didn't meet their offer and who are now graduating.
Reply 93
Original post by drooid
My offer's 120 though I'm unsure I'll make it, whereas if I just ignored the offer and went purely on points, I'll meet the requirements on the page - 260-300 points.

My offer, for context: http://puu.sh/i4HCA/e153ebef00.png

I think maybe because they have not deducted the points that you had from AS that you have carried on to A2 (If you're currently in A-level this year).

The 120 pts will add up to 260 after you sat your exams..

Don't worry, you've almost secured your place. :biggrin:, for me I have to get 260 from all the subjects that I am doing right now which is a struggle.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 94
Original post by lnux
I think maybe because they have not deducted the points that you had from AS that you have carried on to A2 (If you're currently in A-level this year).

The 120 pts will add up to 260 after you sat your exams..

Don't worry, you've almost secured your place. :biggrin:, for me I have to get 260 from all the subjects that I am doing right now which is a struggle.

I see what you mean, if I take everything that I've finished in to consideration, I've got 140 - C A2 Computing, C AS Use of Maths and E Psychology (I know...). With this in mind, I feel a little more comfortable about results day.

What've you got to do well in?
Reply 95
Original post by drooid
I see what you mean, if I take everything that I've finished in to consideration, I've got 140 - C A2 Computing, C AS Use of Maths and E Psychology (I know...). With this in mind, I feel a little more comfortable about results day.

What've you got to do well in?

Yeah.. you're in the safe zone now I guess....

Well I have to get at least C's from all of my subjects to add up to 260

I am only confident with my ICT subject..

Electronics is really not a very straight forward subject for me.(I'd be so happy if I get B or even a C for that matter).

For A2 Science, I'd have to get at least 80% on the exam to get C overall, which is an A grade on the exam. - requires more work than what its worth.

So yeah that's my misery.. but I hope to see you on September.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 96
Original post by lnux
Yeah.. you're in the safe zone now I guess....

Well I have to get at least C's from all of my subjects to add up to 260

I am only confident with my ICT subject..

Electronics is really not a very straight forward subject for me.(I'd be so happy if I get B or even a C for that matter).

For A2 Science, I'd have to get at least 80% on the exam to get C overall, which is an A grade on the exam. - requires more work than what its worth.

So yeah that's my misery.. but I hope to see you on September.

I hope you're right about the safe zone, and I wish I could say the same to you - the best of luck to you and I really do hope to see you in september!
I have Portsmouth as my insurance, what is the likelihood of me getting into student halls should i not get into my firm choice?
Original post by drooid
I hope you're right about the safe zone, and I wish I could say the same to you - the best of luck to you and I really do hope to see you in september!

Hi,
New to this whole posting thing! I'm going to be studying Social Work at Portsmouth this September, and was wondering what you guys generally needed (even if it's not the same course you studied) in terms of stationery? Was it just one big notepad? Folders? etc etc

Sorry to be a pain!

Thanks in advance.
Original post by charliedb97
I have Portsmouth as my insurance, what is the likelihood of me getting into student halls should i not get into my firm choice?

Around 70% of students acquire the student halls. If you're lucky you may get them.

I applied for accommodation a couple of months back, applied for Guildhall Halls, hoping to get James Watson, defo the best looking one. What have you guys applied for?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending