The Student Room Group

AQA Further Maths FP1 June 5th 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by C0balt
and those α β questions which are usually easy had so many nasty numbers :angry:

Are you hoping to apply to Cambridge? If so have you thought about which college you would apply to?
Reply 61
Original post by a123a
Are you hoping to apply to Cambridge? If so have you thought about which college you would apply to?

Yeah I am hoping to apply for NatSci haha
Not really, but I think I might like smaller colleges :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 62
Original post by C0balt
Yeah I am hoping to apply for NatSci haha
Not really, but I think I might like smaller colleges :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bio or Physical?
I was going to recommend St John's, but that's a huge college!
Reply 63
Original post by a123a
Bio or Physical?
I was going to recommend St John's, but that's a huge college!

Physical :tongue:
Rich colleges should have a lot of advantages so it is attracting, but it is too massive for my liking possibly!
guys i was doing the fp1 June 2014 exam paper for practice and i got stuck on question 8b) and was wondering if any you guys could help me with it plz :s
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-MFP1-QP-JUN14.PDF
p.s there's the link to the exam paper.
Reply 65
Original post by mohammedhz
guys i was doing the fp1 June 2014 exam paper for practice and i got stuck on question 8b) and was wondering if any you guys could help me with it plz :s

Use sum of arithmetic series formula!
Reply 66
Original post by mohammedhz

You need to, for both your general solutions, find the smallest and largest solutions in the interval that they gave you. Then sum them and all the ones in between (by varying the 'n' in your solutions) with some clever manipulation and recognition of series. If you get stuck again, tell me how far you got and I'll help you from there. :smile:
ooohhh i get it now thanks guys! :smile:
Reply 68
I generally work pretty fast (never ran out of time in an exam), but it takes me ages to draw the graphs of rational functions and to find stationary points on them (only if the question asks), just wondering am I really slow, or is this the same for everyone?
Reply 69
Original post by azo
I generally work pretty fast (never ran out of time in an exam), but it takes me ages to draw the graphs of rational functions and to find stationary points on them (only if the question asks), just wondering am I really slow, or is this the same for everyone?

It takes me a little longer than it probably should to draw the graphs carefully so they actually look right, finding stationary points by setting y = k takes a while but I wouldn't say it's disproportionate for the amount of marks given usually?
Reply 70
Original post by azo

No, it should actually be quite quick? It's a pretty straightforward method so as long as you practise a few questions you should become quick at doing them.
Any reason why it takes you so long?
Reply 71
Original post by PrimeLime
No, it should actually be quite quick? It's a pretty straightforward method so as long as you practise a few questions you should become quick at doing them.
Any reason why it takes you so long?

Working out all the asymptotes (not very long), where/if it crosses the horizontal asymptote, where it crosses y and x-axis, whether if the section between 2 asymptotes is upwards or downwards sloping, subbing y=k and then getting a quadratic then doing b^2-4ac=0 then subbing the answer back into te quadratic for the x-coordinate... Then I often check my answer on the graphics calculator! IMO this takes a bit of time but tbh I haven't spent much time practicing them so you're probably right!
Reply 72
Original post by Lau14
It takes me a little longer than it probably should to draw the graphs carefully so they actually look right, finding stationary points by setting y = k takes a while but I wouldn't say it's disproportionate for the amount of marks given usually?

Yup true, it's usually like 10 marks for the whole question and they split it up by like working out stationary points into different parts of the question (i), (ii) etc so i guess it's okay to spend a bit of time on it!
Reply 73
Original post by azo
Working out all the asymptotes (not very long), where/if it crosses the horizontal asymptote, where it crosses y and x-axis, whether if the section between 2 asymptotes is upwards or downwards sloping, subbing y=k and then getting a quadratic then doing b^2-4ac=0 then subbing the answer back into te quadratic for the x-coordinate... Then I often check my answer on the graphics calculator! IMO this takes a bit of time but tbh I haven't spent much time practicing them so you're probably right!

See if you just stick it into your graphical calculator first you don't need to do any of the working out what each section is doing (unless specifically asked!). Just find the asympotes, draw those on your paper, look at it on your graphical calculator and then copy the shape. Find any intercepts if applicable and you're done with the graph :smile:
Hey guys, I was wondering if you could help me on question 4 of the Jan 11 paper:http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-MFP1-W-QP-JAN11.PDF. I got the answer as x= 1/2n+1/8 pi or 1/2n+11/24 pi, but the mark scheme doesn't agree with my second solution and I have no idea where I went wrong. Thanks :smile:
Reply 75
Original post by catalyst_777
Hey guys, I was wondering if you could help me on question 4 of the Jan 11 paper:http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-MFP1-W-QP-JAN11.PDF. I got the answer as x= 1/2n+1/8 pi or 1/2n+11/24 pi, but the mark scheme doesn't agree with my second solution and I have no idea where I went wrong. Thanks :smile:

So the pi coefficients come from your solutions for sin = -0.5, which are -pi/6 and -5pi/6 or alternatively (it says OE, or equivalent) 7pi/6 - I think 7pi/6 would give you your 11/24? (correct me if I'm wrong, I can't be bothered to get my calculator etc and check), which is equivalent to their answer as it's a multiple of pi/2 away - you've added on npi/2 to get to this one instead.
Original post by Lau14
So the pi coefficients come from your solutions for sin = -0.5, which are -pi/6 and -5pi/6 or alternatively (it says OE, or equivalent) 7pi/6 - I think 7pi/6 would give you your 11/24? (correct me if I'm wrong, I can't be bothered to get my calculator etc and check), which is equivalent to their answer as it's a multiple of pi/2 away - you've added on npi/2 to get to this one instead.

Ah, yes, thank you so much! I guess the OE would imply my answer is acceptable as well. Thanks so much :smile:!
Reply 77
Original post by catalyst_777
Ah, yes, thank you so much! I guess the OE would imply my answer is acceptable as well. Thanks so much :smile:!

Yeah, pretty sure I did the same thing on this paper the other day! I'd imagine it's a very common answer because that's what you get from pi - initial solution :smile:
hello guys, I'm thinking of doing FP1 in my A2, should I do AQA or Edexcel? which board is easier? thanks
Reply 79
Guys for the gradient questions I just want to clear something up.

Say if the gradient is h+3 and as h tends to zero the gradient of the line PQ tends to the gradient of the curve at point P. Do we then have to say the gradient of the curve at point P is EQUAL to 3, or that gradient of curve at point P tends to 3?

If someone could write a general answer for this I would much appreciate it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending